Tonact 40mg Tablet
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Tonact 40mg Tab, with atorvastatin salt in its composition, is a hypolipidemic medicine. Belonging to the statin family of medicines, Tonact 40mg Tab is used to decrease the bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein) in the body.
Uses of Tonact 40mg Tab
- This medicine is used to control high cholesterol in the body
- It can also be used to lower triglyceride levels in the body
- It is also given in case of heart diseases
Contraindications of Tonact 40mg Tab
- Any liver disease, including jaundice and hepatitis
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women
- Known allergy to atorvastatin
- Use of hepatitis medicines
Side effects of Tonact 40mg Tab
- Muscle, joint, back, or throat pain
- Blood test abnormalities
- Worsening of existing liver disease
- Lack of appetite
- Abnormal muscle breakdown
- Swelling and blistering of the skin
- Rashes on the palms or soles
Precautions and Warnings of Tonact 40mg Tab
Can I take Tonact 40mg Tab during pregnancy?
This medicine should not be taken during pregnancy or if you are planning a pregnancy.
Can I take Tonact 40mg Tab while breastfeeding?
It is suggested that breastfeeding women avoid taking this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Tonact 40mg Tab?
It does not affect your driving ability in any way.
Can I consume alcohol with Tonact 40mg Tab?
You probably can consume alcohol. However, there are chances of liver damage due to excessive alcohol. Hence, it is suggested that you avoid alcohol consumption.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you are currently using fusidic acid or have used it in the last seven days, then you should not take Tonact 40mg Tab. There may be chances of serious muscle problems when these two medicines are taken togetherread less
- You should consult your doctor before taking this medicine in case you have kidney-related ailments or if you regularly drink a large amount of alcohol
- Those with any kind of muscle aches or with a family history of muscle problems should talk to their doctors before starting this medicine
- If you've faced muscular problems due to cholesterol-lowering medicines, then this medicine should not be taken
Mode of Action of Tonact 40mg Tab
How Does It Work?
This medicine works by inhibiting the action of HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme responsible for making up cholesterol. Along with decreasing the level of bad cholesterol, this medicine also increases the good cholesterol in the body.
Directions for Use of Tonact 40mg Tab
Tonact 40mg Tab can be taken orally with water. It can be taken with or without food but must be taken at a fixed time each day.
Interactions of Tonact 40mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- The use of this medicine with other cholesterol-lowering medicines like gemfibrozil, colestipol, etc. can increase the risk of muscle breakdown
- Usage of Tonact 40mg Tab with fusidic acid may cause serious side effects, including rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown)
- The lowest possible dosage of Tonact 40mg Tab should be used with amiodarone, diltiazem, or verapamil
- Medicines like itraconazole, voriconazole, clarithromycin, ciclosporin, ketoconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin, ritonavir, lopinavir, atazanavir, indinavir, darunavir, and tipranavir/ritonavir may cause serious side effects by increasing the concentration of atorvastatin in the bloodread less
- You should avoid taking hepatitis C medicines, including glecaprevir/pibrentasvir with Tonact 40mg Tab
Interactions with food items
When using this medicine, you should avoid the intake of grapefruit juice, or take it in a limited quantity.
Other general Interactions
There is a lack of sufficient information on this.
Storage and disposal of Tonact 40mg Tab
You should store Tonact 40mg Tab at room temperature, somewhere between 20 and 25°C. The medicine must be stored in a place away from heat, moisture, and light.
Dosage of Tonact 40mg Tab
If you've taken an overdose of Tonact 40mg Tab, you should immediately consult your doctor.
Missed a Dose
In case of a missed dose, you must avoid taking an extra dose as compensation. You can simply skip the missed dose and continue to your regular schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I am allergic to atorvastatin. Is it safe for me to take Tonact 40mg Tab?
A: You should not take Tonact 40mg Tab in case of a known allergy to atorvastatin.
Q: Are there any dietary restrictions with this medicine?
A: The only dietary restrictions concerning this medicine relate to grapefruit juice. You should avoid taking more than one or two small glasses of grapefruit juice per day so as to avoid changes in the effects of this medicine.
Q: Will Tonact 40mg Tab affect my ability to operate machines?
A: No, usually this medicine does not affect your ability to operate machines.
Q: What if I stop taking this medicine?
A: You should never stop taking the medicine on your own. You should always consult your doctor first.
Q: How to dispose of the medicine I no longer need?
A: You should never throw away the medicine in household waste. It is advised that you ask your physician about how to throw away the medicines you no longer need.
Other Variants for
Tonact 40mg Tab
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved