Symbal 20mg Tablet
Symbal 20 MG Description
Symbal 20 mg tablet is a prescription medicine used for treating anxiety disorder, depression and neuropathic (nerve) pain. It is composed of duloxetine 20 mg. It belongs to a class of drugs called s
elective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). This drug increases the levels of specific chemical messengers to regulate the mood and manage the pain caused by nerve damage. The Symbal capsule is an antidepressant medication. It is used in treating depression, even in those who failed to respond to other medications. It works by decreasing restlessness, stress, fear, irritability, loss of interest, and other symptoms of depression and anxiety. It can lower the pain caused by nerve damage in conditions like Fibromyalgia, diabetic neuropathy, etc. You should take this medicine exactly as prescribed by the doctor, as it causes sleeplessness, constipation, low sex drive, etc. Most of these side effects do not need medical attention but consult your doctor if they persist. It should also be used with caution, as it tends to cause mood changes and suicidal thoughts. It does not cause addiction issues in the correct dosage.
|Uses||Anxiety disorder, nerve pain|
|Side effects||Drowsiness, Nausea, headache, dizziness, constipation, loss of appetites, dry mouth, increased sweating, insomnia, drowsiness, blurred vision, heartburn, ejaculation disorder, low sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, burning sensation, muscle spasms, frequent urination, hypertension, suicidal thoughts.|
Uses of Symbal 20 MG
- Generalised anxiety disorder ( due to family history or stress)
- Major depressive disorder (irritability, feeling low/sad, loss of interest in all activities)
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage due to diabetes)
- Fibromyalgia (Generalised pain all over the body)
- Stress Urinary incontinence ( unintentionally passing urine)
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain
- Panic disorder
- Alternate treatment in unresponsive depression
Contraindications of Symbal 20 MG
- Do not take the Symbal 20 mg tablet if you have the following conditions.
- If you are allergic to any component of this capsule.
- If you are already using different antidepressants, it can cause severe adverse effects.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma, an eye condition, it causes an increase in fluid pressure inside the eye and worsens the condition.
- If you have severe skin conditions. This drug can very rarely cause conditions like stevens-Johnson syndrome or erythema multiforme ( both are serious skin conditions)
- If you have any self-harming or suicidal thoughts.
- If you have uncontrolled hypertension.
- If you have a severe renal condition
- If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant.
- If you are lactating or breastfeeding
- If you have any bleeding disorders.
Side effects of Symbal 20 MG
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Excessive sweating
- Blurred vision
- Urination problems
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle spasms
- Burning sensation on soles and palms
- Ejaculation disorder
- Low sexual desire
- Erectile dysfunction
- Serious skin reactions
- Suicidal thoughts
- Disclaimer - Most of these side effects do not require medical treatment, and they will disappear once you have adjusted to the dose. But, if any of these conditions persist for a long duration or you have any serious side effects, consult your doctor immediately....
Precautions and Warnings of Symbal 20 MG
Other General Warnings
- The Symbal tablet dose should be monitored in elderly patients, as side effects are high.
- If you are using any medicinal herbs or supplements, inform your doctor
- If you are experiencing mood changes or self-harmful thoughts, seek medical help immediately.
- You may experience a slight drop in blood glucose levels. Consult your doctor if you do.
- Regularly monitor your blood pressure. This medicine can cause low pressure when you stand up suddenly.
Mode of Action of Symbal 20 MG
How Does It Work?
- The Symbal 20 mg tablets contain duloxetine. It is an antidepressant that belongs to the class of serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) drugs. It blocks certain receptors, which increases the levels of serotonin and noradrenaline, the chemical messengers that provide relief from the pain and regulate the mood by working on some regions of the brain....
Directions for Use of Symbal 20 MG
- Take the Symbal 20 mg tablet exactly as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage, even if you cannot feel its effects.
- You can take it with or without consuming food
- Do not break the tablet or chew it.
- Take the tablet whole with a glass of water.
- Do not take it with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not take if the package has been opened.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medication, as it can have side effects.
Interactions of Symbal 20 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- If you take other antidepressant medications like linezolid, diazepam, fluoxetine, etc., with this medicine, it can cause severe reactions.
- If you are using high doses of opioid painkillers like tramadol, it can cause extreme drowsiness and side effects.
- If you are on blood thinners like aspirin, warfarin, etc., taking them with a Symbal tablet can increase the risk of abnormal bleeding.
- Do not mix antibiotics like ciprofloxacin with this drug. It increases the level of the Symbal tablet in the blood and can cause serious effects.
- Inform your doctor if you use other drugs like sertraline, lithium and dextromethorphan. They can cause severe side effects.
Interactions with food items
- Interactions with alcohol.
- Do not take the Symbal 20 mg tablet with alcohol. It can interfere with the effects of the drug and worsen the condition. It can also increase side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, mood disorders, etc....
- Interactions with food
- Some brain-stimulating items like coffee, energy drinks, etc., interfere with the effects of this medicine.
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice, as it may interfere with this drug.
Storage and disposal of Symbal 20 MG
Dosage of Symbal 20 MG
- Overdose on Symbal 20 mg tablets can cause symptoms like drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate, seizures, fainting, low blood pressure and coma. If you overdose on this medicine and experience any of these symptoms, immediately seek emergency medical treatment from a nearby hospital....
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I give the Symbal 20 mg tablet to children?
Q: Does Symbal 20 mg tablet cause addiction if I take it?
- No, it does not cause addiction issues if you take them in prescribed amounts. But, it can cause withdrawal symptoms like tremors, sweating, dizziness, etc. if you stop using it suddenly without informing your doctor, as...