Paraxin 250mg Capsule
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Capsule(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Paraxin 250mg Capsule contains Chloramphenicol as its active ingredient. It is an antibiotic used to treat severe bacterial infection and typhoid fever where other anti-infectives are ineffective. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria, thus preventing the spread of infection. Paraxin 250mg Capsule should not be used in children below 18 years of age. It should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women. Paraxin 250mg Capsule should not be used to treat viral infection. Take this medicine at the prescribed dose for the prescribed duration to gain optimal benefits. You may experience nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, dizziness after taking this medicine. If these symptoms worsen, inform your doctor or visit a nearby hospital or clinic immediately.
Uses of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
Paraxin 250mg Capsule is used to treat severe bacterial infection and typhoid fever when other antimicrobials are ineffective.
Contraindications of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
- If you are allergic to Chloramphenicol or any other component of Paraxin 250mg Capsule.
- If you have or had any blood disorder such as porphyria.
- If you have been vaccinated recently.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are taking any medicines which results in bone marrow suppression.
Side effects of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea
- Fatigue, dehydration, swelling
- Stomach pain and/or bloating
- Blood in stool
- Inflamed or swollen tongue
- Blurred vision, hearing loss
- Breathing difficulty, dizziness, drowsiness
Precautions and Warnings of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
Can I take Paraxin 250mg Capsule during pregnancy?
Paraxin 250mg Capsule crosses the placenta and may cause harm to the unborn baby or lead to a threatened pregnancy. You should not take Paraxin 250mg Capsule if you are pregnant. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
Can I take Paraxin 250mg Capsule while breastfeeding?
Paraxin 250mg Capsule passes into the breastmilk and may cause harm to the newborn baby. It may lead to a condition known as Grey baby syndrome, where the skin of the baby appears grey, weak and also life-threatening. Inform your doctor if you are a nursing mother.
Can I drive if I have consumed Paraxin 250mg Capsule?
Paraxin 250mg Capsule does not affect the ability to drive. However, if you experience any side effect which alters driving ability, avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Paraxin 250mg Capsule?
It is usually unsafe to consume alcohol while taking Paraxin 250mg Capsule or any other antibiotics. It can lead to serious consequences. Talk to your doctor if you consume it too often.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have liver or kidney disease
- You are on any medications
- You are giving it to the elderly
- Paraxin 250mg Capsule should not be used in children below 18 years of age
Mode of Action of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
How Does It Work?
Paraxin 250mg Capsule prevents the formation of proteins necessary to perform vital functions. Thus, it stops the growth of bacteria and prevents further spreading of infection.
Directions for Use of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
Paraxin 250mg Capsule should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. It would be best if you take it at a fixed time for optimal results and you should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
Interactions with other medicines
- Taking any of the following medicine with Paraxin 250mg Capsule may alter the effect of either medicine, or cause serious consequences, hence should be used with caution.
- Paracetamol for pain and fever.
- Antibiotics for infections such as co-trimoxazole, penicillin or rifampicin type.
- Blood thinners such as warfarin, dicoumarin should be used with caution.
- Antidiabetics such as gliclazide, tolbutamide.
- Immunosuppressive medicine such as ciclosporin, tacrolimus.
- Medicines which suppresses bone marrow such as carbamazepine, penicillamine, sulphonamides, phenylbutazone.
- Antipsychotic drugs such as clozapine, flupenthixol, fluphenazine, procainamide.
- Medicine used to treat seizures or fits such as carbamazepine, phenytoin and phenobarbital.
- Hormonal pills such as oestrogen.
- Medicines used to treat hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) such as carbimazole, propylthiouracil.
- Antiretroviral medicines used to treat HIV infection such as zidovudine.
- Hydroxocobalamin as a form of vitamin B12 used to treat B12 deficiency.
- Medicine used to treat cancer such as cisplatin, daunorubicin.
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible drug interactions.
Storage and disposal of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
- Store at a temperature below 25°C in a cool dry place.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Paraxin 250mg Capsule
If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of Paraxin 250mg Capsule, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed to take any dose of Paraxin 250mg Capsule then take it as soon as you remember. If it's already time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and follow the regular dosing schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long does Paraxin 250mg Capsule take to work?
A: Paraxin 250mg Capsule starts showing activity soon after you take it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria.
Q: Is Paraxin 250mg Capsule used to relieve pain?
A: No, Paraxin 250mg Capsule is not a pain killer. It only treats bacterial infections and provides relief from the symptoms of infection.
Q: Can I stop taking Paraxin 250mg Capsule when I feel better?
A: No, do not stop taking Paraxin 250mg Capsule. Complete the full course of treatment even if you start feeling better, else you might experience treatment failure and the increased risk of recurrence of the infection.
Q: Can the use of Paraxin 250mg Capsule cause diarrhea?
A: Yes, the use of Paraxin 250mg Capsule can cause diarrhoea along with the desired effect, but not everyone gets them. It is an antibiotic which kills both good and bad bacteria, when good bacteria present in the intestine gets killed it can cause diarrhoea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhoea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q: Can Paraxin 250mg Capsule be used to treat typhoid?
A: Yes, Paraxin 250mg Capsule can be used to treat typhoid when other antibiotics are ineffective.
Q: What if my condition does not improve after taking Paraxin 250mg Capsule?
A: Talk to your doctor if your condition does not improve, even after taking Paraxin 250mg Capsule. He might suggest some other alternative.
Last Updated on: 19 Mar 2021 | 04:13 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on all medicines + Myntra voucher worth Rs.250
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved