Novastat 40mg Tab 15's
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
This is a hypolipidemic medicine (statin group of medicines), which is used to lower the low-density lipoproteins (also known as bad cholesterol) in the body. The generic name of the medicine is rosuvastatin.
Uses of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
The uses of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S are in the treatment/control of hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels), hyperlipidaemia (an increase of lipid fats in the body) and hypertriglyceridemia (a condition where there are large amounts of triglycerides in the body). The other uses of this medicine include the prevention of stroke and the risk reduction of heart attack.
Contraindications of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
- Patients with kidney or liver ailments
- Breastfeeding or pregnant women
- Known allergy to the medicine or other medicines of statin group
- On the prescription of cyclosporine
- An addiction of alcohol
Side effects of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
- The most common side effects of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S could be headache, stomach pain, dizziness, heartburn, constipation and nausea
- There may also be cases of patients observing blood in their urine
- This medicine may, in some cases, cause jaundice and elevated liver enzymes
- In some rare cases, one could observe muscle breakdown, which can be a very serious side effect
Precautions and Warnings of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
Can I take the medicine during pregnancy?
This medicine can be harmful for the foetus if it is taken during pregnancy. It is suggested not to take this medicine if you are pregnant or are planning to start a family. Moreover, women who are of childbearing age should use effective contraceptive methods while using this medicine.
Can I take the medicine while breastfeeding?
A small amount of this medicine may pass into the breast milk and harm the baby. Thus, it would be safer to avoid taking this medicine during the tenure of breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed the medicine?
The administration of this medicine is not known to affect the driving ability of an individual. So, it is safe to drive after the administration of this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with the medicine?
The intake of alcohol during the prescribed period of this medicine may cause liver damage. So, it is best to quit alcohol based on your condition.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have taken fusidic acid in the last seven days or are currently using that medicine
- You have kidney or liver diseases
- You have muscle ache or a family history of muscle problems
- You are addicted to alcohol
- In case, in the past, you had problems with cholesterol-lowering medicines
Mode of Action of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
How Does It Work?
The composition of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S helps by restraining the functioning of HMG-CoA reductase enzyme. This helps in the reduction of cholesterol as the HMG-CoA enzyme is responsible for producing cholesterol. The medicine also helps in increasing the good cholesterol levels in the body.
Directions for Use of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
These tablets can be taken orally with water. However, you should try to take your medicine at the same time every day. Most importantly, the dosage of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S should be as per the prescription of the doctor.
Interactions of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
Interactions with other medicines
- This medicine, when used with other lipid-lowering medications, can increase the risk of myopathy
- The lowest possible dose of this medicine must be used with medicines such as amiodarone, diltiazem or verapamil
- This medicine also shows interactions with other medicines like cyclosporine, warfarin, oral contraceptive pills, itraconazole, ketoconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin, and HIV protease inhibitorsread less
- You should not take any antacids like aluminium hydroxide within two hours of taking this medicine
- Taking this medicine with fusidic acid should be clearly avoided so as to prevent muscle breakdown and other serious side effects
Interactions with food items
If you are taking this medicine, you should reduce the intake of grapefruit juice along with its extracts and derivatives. A low-fat diet is highly recommended to achieve the efficient results from the treatment of this medicine.
Other general Interactions
Individuals with a history of muscular breakdown and liver and kidney disorders are recommended to discuss their respective conditions with the doctor before taking up the prescription. Pregnant and breastfeeding women are also urged to look for alternative medication for themselves through a proper consultation from the doctor.
Storage and disposal of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
This medicine must be kept at room temperature (between 20 and 25°C) far from heat, moisture and reach of children. You should never use the medicine that has passed the expiry date and follow standard methods suggested by your pharmacist in the disposal of this medicine.
Dosage of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S
The overdose of Novastat 40mg Tab 15'S are similar to its side effects including headache, dizziness, stomach pain, nausea, muscle breakdown etc. Seek for medical help if you suspect taking too much medicine.
Missed a Dose
In case of a missed dose, take it as soon as possible whenever you recall it. However, you should avoid two or extra doses of this medicine to compensate for the missed dose. There should be at least a gap of 12 hours between the two doses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long does this medicine take to start showing effects?
A: This medicine starts to show its effects within two to four weeks after its prescribed administration, which may vary from individual to individual as per their respective condition.
Q: Can this medicine be used by children?
A: No, it should not be given to children below the age of six years. Those children from 6 to 18 years of age must be given this medicine only after the specific prescription of the doctor and in very small doses.
Q: Should this medicine be taken with or without food?
A: You can take this medicine either with food or without food. However, you must try to take this medicine at the same time each day. It is best to fix a particular timing for its administration.
Q: Why is it important to do regular cholesterol checks during the course of this medicine?
A: You should undergo regular cholesterol checks so as to make sure that the cholesterol has reached the desired optimum level. The cholesterol check will also help your doctor to increase or decrease the dose of your medicine based on your condition.
Q: On what factors will the doctor decide my dosage?
A: The dosage of this medicine will be decided on the basis of your cholesterol levels and risks of heart attack.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC). Package leaflet: information for the user. Crestor® 5 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 10 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 20 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 40 mg film-coated tablets. Rosuvastatin.
- NCBI Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Rosuvastatin.
- DailyMed. Label: Rosuvastatin – rosuvastatin calcium tablet, film coated.
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 09:20 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved