Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml Description
Longacillin 12 iu injection is an antibiotic. Treating and managing several different types of bacterial infections like syphilis, rheumatic fever, yaws, etc., is the primary use of the Longacillin 1
2 iu injection. This injection is also used to treat upper respiratory tract diseases. This injection should never be given intravenously or into the vein, as it can cause serious side effects and even death. The main component of this medication is Benzathine penicillin. It belongs to the penicillin group of antibiotics. The mode of action of Longacillin 12 iu injections is to kill the bacteria and lower the infection and symptoms associated with the infection, such as fever, lethargy, etc. This medication is not effective against infections caused by cold, flu, viruses or fungi. Diarrhoea, stomach pain, headache, weakness, nausea, and vomiting are some of the common side effects of Longacillin 12 iu injection. Most of them do not require any medical attention. However, it is best to consult the doctor in case of persisting or worsening symptoms. People allergic to benzathine penicillin should inform their doctor. There are a few contraindications of Longacillin 12 iu injections. For instance, these injections can make birth control pills less effective.
|You Save||₹1.80 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Erysipelas, Primary and secondary syphilis, Latent syphilis (except for neurosyphilis), Yaws (affects the skin, bone and cartilage), Rheumatic fever, Rheumatic carditis (affect the heart, joints, brain, and skin), Poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis|
|Side effects||Headache, Loose stools, Stomach discomfort, Joint pain, Vomiting, Skin rash|
Uses of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
- As per CDSCO and USFDA, Longacillin 12 iu injection is indicated
- For the treatment of:
- Erysipelas, a skin infection
- Primary and secondary syphilis
- Latent syphilis (except for neurosyphilis)
- Yaws (affects the skin, bone and cartilage)
- For the prophylaxis (prevention) of:
- Rheumatic fever; to manage chorea (involuntary movements), rheumatic carditis (affect the heart, joints, brain, and skin)
- Poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis, a rare kidney disorder that can develop after group A strep infections
Contraindications of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
- If you have a history of serious hypersensitivity to Benzatheine penicillin or other similar antibiotics (e.g., penicillins or cephalosporins). Allergies to this medicine are common. So, hypersensitivity should be checked before giving this injection....
- If you want to give this medicine intravenously or into the vein.
- If you are using local numbing medicine, such as lidocaine, with this injection.
- If you are using Longacillin injection in areas with low blood flow.
- If you have a history of breathing disorders such as severe asthma. It increases the risk of an allergic reaction.
- If you have severe kidney impairment; the dose should be checked, or it should not be given.
- If you are at risk of encephalopathy.
- If you are diagnosed with bacteria-associated diarrhoea. It has been reported with the use of nearly all antibiotics, including Longacillin 12 iu injection and may range in severity from mild diarrhoea to fatal colitis. Treatment with antibiotics alters the colon's normal flora, leading to the overgrowth of bacteria....
- If you are not correctly diagnosed with a suspected bacterial infection. Using this medicine in such cases does not benefit the patient and increases the risk of developing treatment-resistant bacteria....
Side effects of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
- Loose stools
- Stomach discomfort
- Joint pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin rash
Precautions and Warnings of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
Other General Warnings
- You have a kidney or liver illness.
- You have watery or bloody diarrhoea.
- You have a skin rash, itching, redness, and other allergic reactions.
- You have liver-related issues like jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes), raised liver function test, etc.
- You have a history of kidney stones.
- You have a common cold or flu.
- You are using this injection for a long time or more than once a week.
- You notice any central nervous system effects like dizziness, confusion, altered levels of consciousness, epilepsy or movement abnormalities, etc.
Mode of Action of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
- Longacillin injection is given to the patient in the hospital by the treating doctor or a nurse.
- Do not take this injection by yourself.
- Do not stop using this injection in the middle of the treatment.
- This injection is given only into a muscle (IM) and never intravenously (IV)
- It is injected into the buttocks or thigh.
- A gap of a few days should be maintained between two doses or as your doctor prescribes.
- Follow the instructions given by the doctor during the injection and for aftercare.
- If you are having any breathing problems, rash, or swelling, inform your doctor immediately.
- Try to take Longacillin 12 iu injection with food to prevent any stomach pain or discomfort.
Interactions of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
Interactions with other medicines
- It is not recommended to take Probenecid medication along with Longacillin 12 iu injections. Probenecid decreases the elimination of benzathine penicillin by the kidneys. It may result in increased and prolonged blood levels of amoxicillin....
- Using Longacillin 12 iu injections while you are on oral anticoagulants or blood thinners like warfarin is not advised. They may cause prolongation of prothrombin time (test measures how long it takes for a clot to form in a blood sample). It increases the risk of bleeding. Dose adjustment is necessary....
- Using methotrexate and Longacillin 12 iu injections at the same time can reduce the excretion of methotrexate, which can increase its toxicity.
- Intamax O injections lower the potency of oral contraceptive pills (combined estrogen and progesterone contraceptive pills). It is advised to use other modes of contraception.
- Using other types of antibiotics such as Chloramphenicol, macrolides, sulfonamides, and tetracyclines may interfere with the antibacterial effects of Longacillin 12 iu injections.
Interactions with food items
- There is no information available on the interaction of food with Longacillin 12 iu injection.
Storage and disposal of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
Dosage of Longacillin 12iu Injection 1ml
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can we use Longacillin 12 iu injections in children?
Q: Can persons older than 65 years use Longacillin 12 iu injections?
Q: Can I take Longacillin 12 iu injection if I have a kidney condition?
- Bicillin® L-A (penicillin G benzathine injectable suspension)[internet]. accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 31 Mar 2022] - Available from:
- Penicillin G Benzathine injection: Medlineplus Drug Information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 31 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- Benzylpenicillin benzathine 2.4 million I.U. Powder and solvent for suspension for Injection [Internet]. Benzylpenicillin benzathine 2.4 Million I.U. powder and solvent for suspension for injection - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc). [cited 31 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 31 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- Procaine penicillin G [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 31 Mar 2022]. Available from: