Lantus Solostar 100iu Pre Filled Pen Of 3ml Solution For Injection
Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML Description
Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection is used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. It maintains the insulin level in the body and helps in controlling the blood sugar level. It helps the
blood sugar to get into the cells so that body can use it as energy for various activities. Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection contains insulin. Controlling the sugar level may reduce the risk of kidney damage, blindness, nerve damage or heart stroke. It is more effective if you follow a proper diet and exercise during the treatment. It is advised to keep monitoring the blood sugar level regularly. It is suggested to inject the exact dose of medicine in order to avoid the risk of a sudden drop in blood sugar level (hypoglycemia). Tell your doctor about the detailed history of your medical condition and all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interactions.
Uses of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
Contraindications of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- If you are allergic to insulin or any other ingredients of Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection.
- If you are suffering from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level).
Side effects of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- Low blood sugar
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection is known to cause low blood sugar levels and can impair your driving abilities.
- Always keep sugar or a bar of chocolate in your car while driving.
- In case you experience any of the symptoms of low blood glucose levels like dizziness, drowsiness, visual disturbances and sweating, stop driving immediately and have sugar/ juice.
- It is advisable not to consume alcohol when you are taking the Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection as it interferes with the way insulin works.
- Consumption of alcohol may lead to an increased risk of both low blood glucose levels and high blood glucose levels.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol while taking insulin.
Other General Warnings
- You have recurrent low blood sugar levels. Be very careful about the symptoms of low blood sugar like sweating, anxiety, fast heartbeats, headache, intense hunger, restlessness, dizziness, irritability. If you experience these, immediately have sugar (do not consume artificial sweeteners). Eat something as soon as possible. Do not take insulin in such a scenario. If still the symptoms persist, seek emergency medical help....
- You have frequent fever and infections.
- You have diseases related to the liver and kidney.
- You have thyroid disorders.
- You are switching to a different insulin medicine brand.
- You have pain, itching and swelling at the site of injection, you should continuously change the site of injection.
- Avoid doing heavy exercise.
- You are planning to change your diet preferences.
- You should always carry a sugar candy with you.
- You are taking insulin but not taking adequate meals, your blood glucose can drop drastically.
Mode of Action of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
How Does It Work?
- Insulin is a crucial hormone that allows the entry of blood glucose into each cell of the body. Inside the cell, this glucose is used as fuel.
- In type 1 diabetes mellitus, the body fails to produce adequate insulin and this leads to glucose accumulating in the blood and causes high blood glucose.
- This medicine lowers blood sugars by stimulating glucose uptake by cells, tissue and muscles, especially by skeletal muscles and fat and by inhibiting glucose production by the liver.
Directions for Use of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- Take the Lantus Solostar injection as per the technique suggested by your doctor or nurse.
- This injection is to be taken under the skin of the thigh or upper arm or abdomen.
- Do not take this injection in the vein or in the muscles.
- Pull a skin, fold up to take this injection.
- Wait for at least 6 seconds before removing the needle from the injection site.
- Always rotate the site of injection, do not take concurrent injections at the same site.
Interactions of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially, if you are taking antihypertensives, oral contraceptives, thiazide, steroids, etc.
- You may have symptoms of low blood sugar if you are taking other medicines for diabetes, a brain-related disorder like fluoxetine, medicines for fever and pain (salicylates).
- You may have high blood sugar if you are taking thiazide, steroids, thyroxine, medicines used to treat severe diarrhoea and abnormal growth of body organs like octreotide, lanreotide.
Interactions with food items
- Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml solution for injection is to be taken 15 mins before meals or after meals.
- Maintaining a constant meal pattern is advisable when you are taking insulin.
- Avoid skipping or delaying meals when you are taking insulin.
Storage and disposal of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- Store the Lantus Solostar injection between 2°C to 8°C in the refrigerator.
- Do not freeze it.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not open the carton of vials to protect it from light.
- Any unused portion should not be stored and should be appropriately discarded.
Dosage of Lantus Solostar 100 IU/ML
- An excessive amount of insulin will lead to low blood sugar levels, called hypoglycemia. You may experience symptoms like dizziness, fainting, sweating and tremors.
- If you have the blood glucometer with you, test immediately and confirm blood glucose levels.
- Whether or not you test your levels, it is important to take some glucose water/juice/eat sugar or chocolates immediately and then rush to your doctor.
Missed a Dose
- A missed dose may lead to high blood sugar levels which can cause symptoms like feeling thirsty, excessive urination, loss of appetite, drowsiness, a fruity smell from breath, etc.
- If you have missed taking any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
- Do not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one as taking a double dose can cause a drastic fall in blood glucose which can be dangerous.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What food items I should avoid, as I'm a diabetic?
- Avoid maida, white bread, noodles, corn flakes, poori, biryani, naan, fried rice, etc.
- Avoid custard apple, mango, jack fruit, fruit salads with ice cream, fruit-based desserts.
- Avoid cheese, milkshakes, ice creams.
- Try to avoid pork, beef, soft drinks, sugarcane juice, sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Q: Can I stop taking the Lantus Solostar 100IU/ml Solution for Injection if I am feeling uncomfortable after taking this medicine?
Q: Why should I always change the site for taking this injection?
Q: What other lifestyle modifications I need to consider to manage diabetes?
- Diet should include chapatis, multigrain bread, puffed rice with vegetables, sprouts, roasted grams, plain cooked daal, soups, steamed vegetables, cooked vegetables with less oil, Jamun, orange, guava, apple, watermelon, papaya, cow’s milk, curd, thin buttermilk, fish (grilled, baked or steamed), peanuts, cashew nuts and walnuts(handful)....
- Limit sugar intake.
- A brisk walk daily for 30 minutes.
- Exercise regularly.
- Monitor your blood glucose regularly.
- Take your anti-diabetic medication on time.
Q: I experience low blood sugar levels often, what could be the possible reasons?
- Risk factors for developing low blood glucose levels include taking too much insulin, not taking adequate meals or missing meals, too much alcohol consumption, fever and too much exercise.
- Some medicines, when used with insulin can result in such episodes as other diabetes medicine glimepiride, medicines used for fever and pain (salicylates), ramipril, etc.
- Report to your doctor about these episodes. You may need a dose of adjustment.
Q: What are the symptoms of diabetes?
Q: Does Lantus Solostar need to be refrigerated?
Q: Where is the best place to inject the Lantus Solostar?
- NOVOLOG MIX 50/50 (insulin aspart protamine and insulin aspart injectable suspension), for subcutaneous use, USP [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2021 [cited 16 July 2021]
- Insulatard 100 international units/ml suspension for injection in vial - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 16 July 2021]
- National health Portal [Internet]. [cited 16 July 2021]
- Insulatard 100 international units/ml suspension for injection in vial - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 16 July 2021]