Glycomet 1gm Strip Of 15 Tablets
By USV PVT LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S helps in decreasing the increased levels of sugar in the blood. It belongs to the biaguanide class of anti-diabetic drugs.
Uses of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S uses are chiefly in the treatment of type 2 diabetes in addition to dietary control and exercise in order to decrease the raised level of sugar in the blood. Also, it is beneficial in reducing weight in people who are overweight and suffering from diabetes. It is used in the treatment of polycystic ovarian disease which is associated with the disorder in the sex hormones and insulin function in women resulting in irregular monthly periods and obesity.
Contraindications of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
- Severe kidney diseases.
- Allergic reaction to Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Disorders in liver.
- Heart conditions resulting in low oxygen in the blood.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Side effects of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
- Lactic acidosis.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Metallic taste in the mouth.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency.
Precautions and Warnings of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
Can I take Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S during pregnancy?
Women consuming Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S during pregnancy have not shown any adverse effects or birth defects in the unborn baby. There are very few scientific studies conducted that observe the influence of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in pregnancy. Hence, doctors frequently advise insulin instead of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S for the treatment of diabetes during pregnancy in order to decrease the risk of birth defects in the baby.
Can I take Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S while breastfeeding?
Multiple research studies conducted in pregnant women have shown that the quantity of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in breast milk was found to be very low. The amount of medication entering the baby's body is minimal and it does not result in harmful effects for the baby. However, Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S should be taken under proper medical supervision while you are feeding the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S?
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S decreases the blood sugar when taken along with other drugs in the treatment of diabetes. This have resulted in excessive sweating, rapid breathing, dizziness, hazy vision, etc. Hence, it is essential to stay alert while driving when Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S is taken in combination with other anti-diabetic medications or it is best to avoid driving if such conditions are experienced.
Can I consume alcohol with Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S?
Avoid the intake of alcohol in excessive amounts or in small quantities at frequent intervals while taking Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S. This increases the risk of lactic acidosis (symptoms include nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, rapid breathing, increased thirst, disturbance consciousness, etc.), which is a potential side effect of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Lactic acidosis is a rare but fatal harmful effect of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S when diabetes is associated with various other factors such as diseases related to heart, liver, kidneys, other medicines, etc.read less
- Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S should be used with caution in elderly people due to high chances of disorders related to kidneys, liver, heart and use of other medications which increase the risk of lactic acidosis.read less
- Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S should not be prescribed in children below 10 years due to the lack of research studies to observe the effects of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in children below 10 years.
- The doctor should be given correct information about allergy to Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S or its other components, or other medications before starting Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S.
- Discontinue the use of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S before going for tests such as X-ray, tests which involve injection of dyes, etc., as it increases the risk of kidney disorder and lactic acidosis.
- Stop taking Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S before and after the scheduled surgery for a short time when the intake of food and water is restricted, as it increases the risk of lactic acidosis.
- The use of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S should be stopped during acute heart conditions such as heart failure, heart attack, etc. The regular use of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S when associated with heart conditions that lead to low oxygen concentration in blood increase the risk of lactic acidosis and death.read less
- Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S obstructs the absorption of vitamin B12 in the body. Those using Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S on regular basis and have low vitamin B12 level in their blood may suffer from its deficiency and anaemia (low haemoglobin).read less
- Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S causes a sudden decrease in blood sugar during fasting and low intake of food.
- The chances of lactic acidosis is high when Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S is taken during severe diarrhoea and vomiting.
Mode of Action of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
How Does It Work?
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S acts as an insulin sensitizer by increasing the effect of insulin in decreasing the glucose level in blood. It also inhibits the formation of glucose in liver which results in the increase in blood sugar in diabetes. It is also effective in facilitating the use of blood sugar by the body cells.
Directions for Use of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S dosage should be administered in small amounts and gradually increased in order to avoid gastric disturbances. The maximum daily dose in adults is 2550 mg and 2000 mg in children above 10 years. The dose should be divided and taken with meals. In individuals with well-controlled blood sugar level, Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S is administered in small doses for a short period of time. The blood sugar levels should be periodically checked to evaluate the efficacy of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in keeping the blood sugar in the normal range.
Interactions of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
Interactions with other medicines
Organic cation transporters inhibitors OCT1 (verapamil) decrease the effectiveness of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S. Organic cation inducers OCT1 (rifampicin) increase the absorption and effectiveness of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S. OCT2 inhibitors (cimetidine, vandetanib, ranolazine, etc.) increase the levels of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in blood due to the decreased removal of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S through kidneys. OCT1 and OCT2 inhibitors (olaparib, crizotinib, etc.) disturb the effectiveness and removal of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S from the body. Diuretics and thiazide, oral contraceptives, isoniazid, corticosteroids, phenytoin, nicotinic acid, calcium channel blockers, thyroid medications, oestrogen tablets, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptors antagonists, etc., increase blood sugar levels. Individuals consuming these medications along with Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S should closely monitor their blood sugar levels at frequent intervals.
Interactions with food items
Food decreases the absorption of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in the body. Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S is usually taken with food as it reduces the symptoms of gastric irritation (such as pain in abdomen, nausea, loss of appetite, etc.). The absorption in the extended release tablet form increases the absorption of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in the body. Alcohol should be avoided with the regular intake of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S.
Other general Interactions
Use with caution in elder people, pregnant or breast feeding women, children, infection, dehydration, trauma, systemic disorders (related to kidneys, heart, liver, etc.), and so on.
Storage and disposal of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
The container or the strip should be stored at the room temperature between 20 degrees and 25 degrees centigrade. It can be stored between 15 degrees and 30 degrees centigrade in extreme conditions. Keep the container away from exposure to direct heat and sunlight.
Dosage of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
- Lactic acidosis.
- Rapid breathing.
- Intense drowsiness.
- Severe vomiting.
- Severe diarrhoea.
- Irregularity in heart beats.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose once you recollect only if its not the time for next dose. The double dose should be avoided if the previous dose has been missed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What information should be provided to the doctor before starting Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S?
A: Information about diseases related to heart, kidneys, lungs or liver and their corresponding medications should be provided before starting the treatment with Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S.
Q: What are the effects of Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S on fertility?
A: Various studies performed on rats and in laboratories show that Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S does affect the fertility in both genders in rats.
Q: Does Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S cause cancer?
A: Clinical studies conducted on rats have shown that Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S does not cause cancer when the animals were administered with Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S in very high doses for a long period of time.
Q: Is it advisable to stop exercising and avoid dietary control while taking Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S?
A: Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S acts best in combination with dietary restriction and regular exercise. Hence, it is important to continue with regular exercises and dietary restriction. Additionally, it is important to prevent dehydration while exercising while taking Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S as it is one of the risk factor for lactic acidosis.
Q: Is it necessary to stop using Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S when the haemoglobin in blood is low?
A: Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S affects the absorption of vitamin B12 in the body which may result in anaemia. However, the medication should be continued along with the supplements to correct the deficiency of vitamin B12.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed). Metformin.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC). Metformin 500 mg tablets.
- Food and Drug Administation. Glucophage (metformin hydrochloride) Tablets. Glucophage XR (metformin hydrochloride) extended release tablets.
- MayoClinic. Metformin (Oral Route).
- WebMD. Metformin HCL ER.
- DrugBank. Metformin.
- Stampede. Metformin FAQs.
Other Variants for
Glycomet 1gm Tab 15`S
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 03:26 PM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved