Espam 20mg Tablets
Espam 20 MG Description
Espam tablets are prescribed to treat mental or mood problems. It is majorly prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), people with Major Depressive Disorder and severe pain. Further,
Espam is used for a range of conditions like panic attacks and anxiety by lightning. Espam contains Escitalopram oxalate as an active ingredient that regulates mood, emotions and behaviour. Escitalopram belongs to a class of medications called serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and increases the amount of serotonin ( chemical messengers of the body that transmit messages ). The duration and dosage of Espam vary among individuals depending on the severity of the condition. Avoid taking more doses than prescribed by the doctor. This medication is not meant for children. The usage of this medicine without proper prescription can cause serious health issues.
|You Save||₹15.15 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Anxiety, depression, panic attacks, obstructive compulsive disorder (OCD)|
|Side effects||Abnormal eye movements, memory impairment, tiredness, drowsiness, uncoordinated body movements, nausea, low sexual desire|
Uses of Espam 20 MG
- To manage and treat Major Depressive Disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.
- To treat people suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
- To treat panic attacks and anxiety.
- Espam is also known for its off-label use to treat social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and vasomotor symptoms of menopause....
Contraindications of Espam 20 MG
- If you are allergic to Escitalopram or any other ingredients of the tablet Espam 20mg.
- If you have a history of seizure disorder or conditions predisposing to seizures (e.g. brain damage, epilepsy).
- If you are taking medication for any skin infections, such as ketoconazole and itraconazole, it may cause a hypersensitivity reaction(avoid using the tablet for at least 14 days).
- If you suffer from diabetes or have bleeding tendencies, bradycardia ( slow heartbeat), recent, decompensated heart failure, electrolyte disturbances (e.g. hypokalaemia), metabolic disease.
- If you have undergone recent heart surgeries.
- If you have undergone recent heart surgeries.
- If you are on medication that impairs the metabolism of serotonin, such as intravenous methylene blue, linezolid, MAOIs, and other medications used to treat mental health problems, they are also contraindicated....
- If you suffer from renal or liver problems, it may lead to hepatic failure or renal impairment.
- If you are pregnant and lactating.
Side effects of Espam 20 MG
- Abnormal eye movements
- Memory impairment
- Uncoordinated body movements
- Low sexual desire
Precautions and Warnings of Espam 20 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have been consuming alcohol with the medication.
- You are taking any other medication at present, including medication you may buy without a prescription.
- You are planning to have a child, or if you become pregnant while taking this medication.
- You think the medication is not working and want to change the dosage without consulting your doctor. Even when the medication is used as recommended, it may cause emotional and/or physical dependence. ...
- You want to discontinue treatment carefully and safely. Discontinuation symptoms such as seizures or respiratory distress can occur if the medication is abruptly discontinued. Proper discontinuation will help to decrease the possibility of withdrawal reactions....
- You have a history of any other mental or mood problems (e.g., depression), alcohol dependency or other substance abuse or dependence.
- You are in poor health, overweight, or are experiencing abnormal muscle movements.
Mode of Action of Espam 20 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Espam 20 MG
- Take the Espam tablet as a whole with a glass of water or as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- The dosage and duration depend on the disease of the individual, the patient’s age and medical history.
- Doxin tablets can cause dependency and thus should be taken with proper prescriptions.
- Take with or without food; the absorption is unaffected.
Interactions of Espam 20 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Do not take this tablet if you are already taking another medication such as linezolid, i.e., Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors( MAO). If you are on MAO inhibitors, which is also used to treat depression, it can cause serotonin syndrome(a state of extreme euphoria). There should be a minimum gap of 14 days between the onset of the medication....
- Oral anticoagulants (e.g. warfarin), antiplatelet agents (e.g. ticlopidine, aspirin, dipyridamole), antipsychotics, and NSAIDs increases bleeding tendencies.
- Other antidepressants (e.g. other SSRIs) increases the risk of seizures.
- Enhanced hypoglycemic effect of antidiabetic agents, so if you are a diabetic, you should consult the doctor before taking the medication.
- It should be avoided with medications given for any heart ailment.
Interactions with food items
- Alcohol consumption should be avoided. The combined use of alcohol with antidepressant medications can cause severe adverse effects and thus should be avoided.
Storage and disposal of Espam 20 MG
Dosage of Espam 20 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Rashika Tripathi
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)