Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
By JOHNSON & JOHNSON
450ml Syrup in Bottle
30 days return policyRead More
Cough Cold Preparation
Benadryl Cough Formula Syrup contains a combination of medicines, Diphenhydramine, Ammonium chloride and Sodium citrate. This syrup is used for treating cough associated with a thick sputum. It also relieves symptoms like runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, watery eyes and congestion. Do not take this medicine with other anti-allergic and medicines used to treat psychiatric illnesses. Be cautious while using if you are suffering from glaucoma, prostate, liver and kidney problems. Do not use it in children below 2 years of age without proper medical consultation. The common side effects of this syrup are drowsiness, dryness of mouth, constipation and stomach upset. Do not use this medicine in breastfeeding mothers. Avoid alcohol if you are driving or operating heavy machinery.
Uses of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
Benadryl Cough Formula Syrup is used to treat cough and cold, especially associated with phlegm. It is also used to relieve symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes and stuffy nose.
Contraindications of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
- If you are allergic to this medicine or any other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are taking medicines like MAO inhibitors (Selegiline, Phenelzine, etc.) which are used for psychiatric illness
- If you have glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye which produces painful, red eyes and gradual vision loss)
- If you have ulcers in the stomach and intestine (symptoms like vomiting, acidity, indigestion, bleeding, black stool) or any problems related to your stomach
- If you have prostate problems (conditions like benign prostatic hyperplasia which is characterized by difficulty in urination, frequent urge to go to urination and dribbling of urine)
- If you have liver or kidney problems
- If you have an asthma attack
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you are taking other sedating antihistamines medicines like Promethazine and Chlorphenamine
Side effects of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
- Dizziness, fatigue
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach upset, constipation, diarrhoea
- Dryness of mouth, nose or throat or eyes
- Blurry vision
- Nervousness, fits
- Thicker phlegm
- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Skin rashes and itching
Precautions and Warnings of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
Can I take Benadryl Formula Cough Syrup during pregnancy?
Benadryl cough formula syrup should be avoided during pregnancy as it may cause harm to the unborn baby. If you are pregnant or think you may be or are planning for a baby, you should consult your doctor before starting this medicine.
Can I take Benadryl Formula Cough Syrup while breastfeeding?
Benadryl cough formula syrup should not be used during breastfeeding as it passes into human milk and could harm the breastfed baby. Consult your doctor before using it while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Benadryl Formula Cough Syrup?
Benadryl cough formula syrup may cause blurring of vision and drowsiness as a side effect. It is advisable to avoid driving, operate heavy machinery or any activity that needs alertness or clear vision during the treatment.
Can I consume alcohol with Benadryl Formula Cough Syrup?
You should not consume alcohol while taking Benadryl cough formula syrup as it may worsen the side effects of this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any breathing problems, pneumonia, asthma or any other disease
- You have glaucoma or fit
- You have any problems with your liver or kidney
- You consume alcohol regularly
- You are above 65 years of age as older individuals should be cautious while using this medicine as they are more prone to develop dizziness and urination problems with this medicine.
- Do not use this medicine to make a child sleepy
- In young children, this medicine may produce excitement instead of drowsiness. So, be cautious while using it.
- Stop using this medicine and ask a doctor if cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back or is accompanied by fever, rash or persistent headache. These could be the signs of a serious condition.
- Do not share this medicine with another if they have similar symptoms
Mode of Action of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
How Does It Work?
- The contents of Benadryl syrup helps in relieving from cough with phlegm. Allergic symptoms like runny nose, stuffy nose, coughing, sneezing, red and watery eyes are controlled with an antihistaminic medicine, Diphenhydramine. It blocks the effects of allergic chemicals and provides relief from the above symptoms.read less
- Ammonium chloride is an expectorant agent which increases the water content in the windpipe. Therefore, cough associated with thick mucus (phlegm) is relieved by making the mucus easy to expel.
- Sodium citrate is a mucolytic agent which decreases the consistency of this mucus and makes it thin. Thus, these agents help to remove this mucus from the windpipe and lungs and improves the patient’s condition.read less
Directions for Use of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
- Take Benadryl cough syrup as instructed by your doctor.
- Shake well before use
- Read the instructions on the bottle before usage.
- Use a measuring cup, spoon or a dropper for the exact quantity.
- Do not stop taking Benadryl cough formula syrup on your own.
- Do not take more than 4 doses in a day.
Interactions of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
Interactions with other medicines
- Benadryl cough formula syrup should not be used concomitantly with MAO inhibitors like Selegiline and Isocarboxazid (used for psychiatric illness). It produces a condition called serotonin syndrome which is a life-threatening condition that can occur rapidly due to a build-up of an excessive amount of serotonin in the body. In serotonin syndrome, a person may experience high body temperature, high blood pressure, fast heart rate, excitability, tremor (shakiness) and sweating. In such a situation, patients should rush to a nearby hospital immediately.read less
- Concomitant use of this syrup with other anti-allergic medicines like Cetirizine, medicines like Atropine, Benztropine (used to treat travel or motion sickness, stomach cramps, Parkinson’s disease), opioids like Codeine, Morphine (to relieve severe painful conditions), medicines like Propranolol, Metoprolol (used to treat heart problems, to decrease blood pressure) and may alter the effects of this syrup.read less
- Other medicines like Amitriptyline, Doxepin and Ephedrine should be used with caution.
Storage and disposal of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
- Store Benadryl cough formula syrup below 30°C in a cool and dry place.
- Keep this syrup out of sight and reach of children and pets.
- Do not use this syrup after the expiry date.
- You need to properly discard this medicine when it is expired or no longer needed.
Dosage of Benadryl Cough Formula Bottle Of 450ml Syrup
In case of an overdose, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
You should never miss your dose of Benadryl formula cough syrup as it may lead to treatment failure. If you missed any dose of this syrup, take it as soon as you remember. If it’s time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take Benadryl syrup with other anti-allergic medicines?
A: Benadryl cough formula syrup already contains an anti-allergic medicine in it. If you use it with other anti-allergic medicine, it will increase the side effects of this medicine which can be serious and needs emergency treatment so always avoid using other medicines with it or inform your doctor about that.
Q: Can Benadryl cough syrup be used for anxiety?
A: No, this syrup should not be used for anxiety. Benadryl syrup is used to treat cough, cold and relieve symptoms like sneezing, runny and stuffy nose, watery eyes, etc.
Q: How does Benadryl cough syrup work?
A: A productive cough is a type of cough which is associated with a lot of thick viscid mucus. This mucus gets stick in the windpipe and lungs, due to which patients experience lots of coughing. If not treated, it may lead to more complications. A component of this syrup which is an expectorant agent increases the water content in the windpipe. Another ingredient of this syrup, which is a mucolytic agent, decreases the consistency of this mucus and makes it thin. Thus, it helps to remove this mucus from the windpipe and lungs and improves the patient’s condition.
Q: How often can I take Benadryl syrup?
A: You should take Benadryl syrup in doses and duration as recommended by your doctor. You should not take more than 4 doses in a day.
Q: My colleague has similar symptoms can I recommend Benadryl cough formula syrup to him?
A: No, you should not as different underlying conditions produce similar symptoms which the doctor can decide after careful clinical examinations. Benadryl cough syrup also has many contraindications and side effects which ignored can lead to severe conditions. So, do not recommend self-administration. Ask your friend to use it only after the doctor’s advice.
Q: Can we use Benadryl cough syrup in elder patients?
A: Elderly patients are more prone to the side effects of this medicine. Also, conditions like glaucoma, prostate problem, liver and kidney diseases are more prevalent in the elderly population which aggravates the side effects of this medicine. So, always consult a doctor before using it in elderly patients.
Q: Does Benadryl cough formula syrup make you sleepy?
A: Benadryl cough syrup may produce drowsiness or sleepiness as a side effect.
Q: How long does it take for Benadryl cough formula syrup to show its effect?
A: Benadryl cough formula syrup approximately acts within 15 to 30 minutes after taking it but it may differ from person to person.
Last Updated on: 08 Aug 2020 | 05:31 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved