Arvast 20mg Tablet
By INTAS PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
10 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Arvast 20mg Tab belongs to the statin family of hypolipidemic medicine, which is used to lower the levels of bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein) in the body. The generic name of the medicine is rosuvastatin.
Uses of Arvast 20mg Tab
The uses of Arvast 20mg Tab are in the management and regulation of high cholesterol levels, excessive build-up of lipid fats and triglycerides in the body. It is also used to decrease the chances of getting a stroke due to blockage.
Contraindications of Arvast 20mg Tab
- Liver or kidney problems
- Abnormality observed in liver tests
- Breastfeeding or pregnant women
- Allergic to this medicine or medicine of statin group
Side effects of Arvast 20mg Tab
- The common side effects of Arvast 20mg Tab include abdominal pain, headache, nausea, constipation, heartburn, dizziness, jaundice and elevated liver enzymes (the liver should be properly monitored via tests)read less
- The critical side effects of Arvast 20mg Tab can result into myopathy (identified by fever, muscle pain and lethargy) and abnormal muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
Precautions and Warnings of Arvast 20mg Tab
Can I take the medicine during pregnancy?
Do not take this medicine during pregnancy or if you are planning to start a family as it might cause severe harm to the foetus, also it is essential for women of childbearing age to use effective contraceptive measures while on the treatment from this medicine.
Can I take the medicine while breastfeeding?
As small amounts of this medicine are known to pass into breastmilk, it is not considered safe to consume this medicine during the tenure of breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed the medicine?
Yes, you can drive if you have consumed this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with the medicine?
Alcohol intake should be limited or should be left altogether during the prescribed period of this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You had consumed fusidic acid (a medicine taken in case of bacterial infection) as the intake of fusidic acid along with this medicine results in severe muscle breakdown
- You had any liver or kidney disorders and muscle pain or any family history of muscle problems
- You had experienced any muscle problems while consuming other lipid-lowering medicines
- You are an alcoholic
Mode of Action of Arvast 20mg Tab
How Does It Work?
The composition of Arvast 20mg Tab inhibits the cholesterol-producing enzyme HMG-CoA reductase and, thus, reduces the levels of bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein).
Directions for Use of Arvast 20mg Tab
The dosage of Arvast 20mg Tab is to be taken as per your doctor's instructions.
Interactions of Arvast 20mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- When this medicine is taken along with other lipid-lowering medicines, the risk of myopathy gets increased
- It is necessary to monitor the lipid levels to ensure the intake of the lowest possible level of this medicine when it is taken along with amiodarone, diltiazem or verapamil
- Many medicines like cyclosporine, warfarin, oral contraceptives, itraconazole, ketoconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin and HIV protease reduce the level of statins
- Do not consume any antacids like aluminium hydroxide for two hours after consuming this medicine
- Fusidic acid must not be consumed along with this medicine. It is essential to ensure a gap period of seven days between the use of fusidic acid and this medicine as their interaction is known to cause rhabdomyolysisread less
Interactions with food items
The intake of grapefruit juice should be avoided during the prescribed period of this medicine. A low-fat diet would be highly favourable so as to achieve and maintain the desired cholesterol levels.
Other general Interactions
Individuals with a history of muscular breakdown and those suffering from liver and kidney disorders are advised to consult a doctor before taking up the prescription of this medicine. Pregnant and breastfeeding women are also advised to choose an alternative medicine.
Storage and disposal of Arvast 20mg Tab
This medicine is supposed to be stored at the ambient temperature (20–25°C) away from moisture, heat and the reach of children. This medicine is not supposed to be used after the expiry date and it should be properly discarded via standard waste management procedures instructed by your pharmacist.
Dosage of Arvast 20mg Tab
The overdose of Arvast 20mg Tab is not fatal, but there is still a need to see a doctor to eliminate the possibilities of adverse side effects. An overdose of this medicine is known to cause muscular breakdown or pain and an increase in the other side effects associated with this medicine.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose needs to be taken at the earliest whenever you realise it. If the time for upcoming scheduled dose is near, it is best to skip the missed dose and follow the regular schedule of doses. Doses should not be taken in excess to make up for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long does the medicine takes to show an effect?
A: Generally, this medicine takes at least two to four weeks to show a reduction in bad cholesterol levels; however, this time period varies from person to person based on their respective conditions. According to the changes observed in cholesterol levels, your doctor will decide the necessary dosage.
Q: What are all precautions to be taken while on the treatment of the medicine?
A: Avoid eating high fat-containing food and exercise regularly during the prescribed period and after that time period to maintain a healthy amount of cholesterol. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or suffering from any liver or kidney disorders.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). Package leaflet: information for the patient. Crestor® 5 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 10 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 20 mg film-coated tablets. Crestor® 40 mg film-coated tablets. Rosuvastatin.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Rosuvastatin.
- DailyMed. Label: Rosuvastatin – rosuvastatin calcium tablet, film coated.
- MedlinePlus. Rosuvastatin.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem. Rosuvastatin.
- Luvai, A, et al. Rosuvastatin: a review of the pharmacology and clinical effectiveness in cardiovascular disease. 2012.
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved