Acnetoin 20mg Capsule
By LEEFORD HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Capsule(s) in Strip
The main composition of Acnetoin 20mg Cap is the salt isotretinoin. It is a form of vitamin A used to treat acne and belongs to a group of medicine known as retinoids, which are used to treat skin problems.
Uses of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
- Severe acne (specifically nodular acne)
- Cancer of the skin
Contraindications of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
- Allergy to the medicine
- Children less than 12 years of age
- Liver disease
- Pregnancy or planning pregnancy
- Increased levels of vitamin A in the body (hypervitaminosis A)
- High levels of lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) in the blood
- Tetracyclines (a type of antibiotic medicine)
Side effects of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
- Side effects of Acnetoin 20mg Cap that suggest that a reduction in dosage may be required are chapped lips, dizziness, drowsiness, dry eyes, mouth & skin; dry nose which can lead to nosebleeds; headache; temporary worsening of acne; severe allergic reactions; kidney problems; jaundice; abnormal hair growth; bleeding, redness, or swelling of the gums; bone pain; hearing problems or ringing in the ears and vision issues; severe psychological disturbances including suicidal tendencies; stomach and pancreas problems; and growth problems in childrenread less
Precautions and Warnings of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
Can I take this medicine during pregnancy?
This medicine is known to cause serious birth defects in the foetus. Please do not use it if you are pregnant. This medicine should be strictly avoided by sexually active women unless foolproof contraception methods are used.
Can I take Acnetoin 20mg Cap while breastfeeding?
Please do not take the medicine if you are breastfeeding. It is likely to pass into your milk and may harm your baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
This medicine might affect your night vision; hence, always be cautious when driving at night. It can also cause drowsiness and dizziness.
Can I consume alcohol with Acnetoin 20mg Cap?
Do not consume alcohol with the medicine as it can cause elevated heart rates, nausea and vomiting.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are planning a pregnancy. Do not plan a pregnancy immediately after stopping this medicine as some amount of medicine continues to stay in the body even after stopping the treatment.
- You experience depression or aggressive tendencies or mood changes or thoughts about hurting yourself or ending your life
- You experience an increase in liver enzymes or blood cholesterol, extreme dryness of skin; sensitivity to sunlight
- You have a headache and vomiting
Mode of Action of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
How Does It Work?
This medicine decreases the amount of oil released by the oil glands in the skin and helps the skin renew itself. It is used for the treatment of severe nodular acne which does not respond to other treatments.
Directions for Use of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
Please take this medicine as per your doctor's instructions. Take the medicine with a meal or with a glass of milk. The medicine can be taken either once a day or in two divided doses. Swallow the capsules whole, do not suck or chew them.
Interactions of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
Interactions with other medicines
- Other forms of vitamin A can cause overdose symptoms when taken with this medicine
- Medicines like tetracycline have additive effects
- Effect of progesterone-only contraceptive pills might be reduced
- Anti-convulsion medications may decrease the effect of this medicine
Interactions with food items
Avoid oily and junk food for the overall effect.
Other general Interactions
- Psychiatric disorders; use of this medicine might worsen the symptoms of a psychiatric disorder; use with caution if you are suffering from mood changes, anxiety, agitation, depression etc.
- Osteoporosis; use of this medicine might cause a reduction in bone density; used with caution if you are suffering from osteoporosis or other disorders affecting bone density
- Increased pressure around the brain
Storage and disposal of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
Keep this medicine out of the reach of children. Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original container to protect from light. Do not throw away any medicine via wastewater or household waste.
Dosage of Acnetoin 20mg Cap
Follow the dosage of Acnetoin 20mg Cap prescribed by your doctor. Symptoms of an overdose include dizziness, facial flushing, headache, loss of balance, stomach pain and vomiting. Immediately seek emergency medical assistance if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can the medicine result in loss of hair?
A: Hair thinning is a side effect of high doses of the medicine. However, whatever hair loss occurs is only temporary, and you should start to see your hair growing back once the treatment has finished.
Q: Will this medicine permanently treat my acne?
A: 15-20 week course treatments with the medicine have cured the acne of the patients. Additionally, it was found the medicine aids in ensuring that the acne does not return. It must be noted that the positive effects of the medicine will manifest for some time even after treatment with the medicine is stopped.
Q: I was taking the medicine and I realized that I am pregnant what should I do?
A: Immediately stop taking this medicine and inform your doctor about your pregnancy. This medicine can cause serious harm to the foetus. The decision to continue or discontinue the pregnancy should be taken after consulting your doctor as there are high chances of it being born with defects.
Q: Can I take this medicine without a prescription?
A: This medicine should only be taken with a prescription. Even the continuation of a treatment involving the medicine requires a new prescription.
- electronic Medicines Compendium. Package leaflet: Information for the user. Isotretinoin.
- Rademaker M et al. Isotretinoin treatment alters steroid metabolism in women with acne. 1991.
- WebMD. Isotretinoin Capsule.
- electronic Medicines Compendium. Package leaflet: Information for the user. Isotretinoin 5mg capsules.
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 06:11 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved