Thiocolchicoside is a muscle relaxant that is commonly used as supportive medicine in back pains and other pains due to disorders of the vertebral column or spinal cord and for pain relief after surgeries.
Uses of Thiocolchicoside
As a supportive medicine in painful conditions associated with spinal cord or vertebrae – such as stiff vertebrae or age-related damage of vertebral column, twisted and painful neck (torticollis), back and low back pain or any severe injuries including surgeries.
Contraindications of Thiocolchicoside
When should one not use Thiocolchicoside
Allergy to Thiocolchicoside or any components of the medicine.
Side effects of Thiocolchicoside
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Feeling sleepy (somnolence), drowsiness
- Loose motions
- Pain in the stomach region
Precautions and Warnings of Thiocolchicoside
Can I take Thiocolchicoside during pregnancy?
It is not safe to use Thiocolchicoside during pregnancy, as it has the potential to harm the baby.
Can I take Thiocolchicoside while breastfeeding?
It is not recommended to use Thiocolchicoside if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed as this medicine is secreted in breast milk and can cause unwanted effects in the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Thiocolchicoside?
Thiocolchicoside can cause you to feel sleepy or tired. You are advised to drive only in the absence of such symptoms.
Can I consume alcohol with Thiocolchicoside?
If taken with alcohol, the effect of drowsiness can be severely increased. It is best advised to avoid alcohol while taking Thiocolchicoside.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Inform your doctor if you have or develop:
- Liver problems
- Seizures (fits)
- Loose motions
- Patients taking any pain killers such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, etc. should inform the doctor
- Long term medication of Thiocolchicoside is not recommended (should not be taken for more than a week at once)
- In case of any severe allergic reactions, like rash or itching to skin, abnormal voice changes, trouble breathing or swallowing, swelling of your hands, face or mouth while taking this medicine. Seek medical care immediately.read less
Mode of Action of Thiocolchicoside
How Does It Work?
Thiocolchicoside, a relaxing agent, works by blocking the pain signals between the muscles and the centers of the brain and spinal cord, thus providing relief from the pain.
Interactions of Thiocolchicoside
Interactions with other medicines
- No data available
- Use any other sleeping pills or pain killers or muscle relaxants with caution
- Inform the doctor about all the products you are using (including prescription, non-prescription and herbal medicines, vitamins and diet supplements)
Interactions with food items
Thiocolchicoside must be taken after food or at least some light liquid food to prevent stomach upset.
Dosage of Thiocolchicoside
Thiocolchicoside has the potential to cause some severe side effects and hence has to be taken precisely as prescribed by the doctor. Inform your doctor in case of an overdose or in the presence of symptoms like feeling sleepy, stomach pain or loose motions.
Missed a Dose
- If you missed any dose take it as early as you remember
- If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule
- Do not take a higher or a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed dose
- It is ideal to have a 12-hour gap between two doses of Thiocolchicoside
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Thiocolchicoside a painkiller?
- The medicine is a muscle relaxant. It has analgesic (pain reducing) as well as anti-inflammatory (ability to reduce swelling, redness and other reactions)
- But regular pain killers (like Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac) act on substances called ‘prostaglandins’ which are released in the body due to response at the injury site and increase the pain. These medicines block the production of these substances and thus control the reaction as well as the pain. Due to this property, these pain killers can be used in any painread less
- Medicines like Thiocolchicoside act directly on the brain and block the pain signals that arise from the muscles. Hence, it is given only in muscle pain which is due to problems in the brain or spinal cord and in patients following surgeryread less
- Thiocolchicoside should not be used as a pain killer or without prescription
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before starting the medication of Thiocolchicoside?
- Thiocolchicoside should not be taken for more than a week at any one time. Long term treatment with this medicine should be avoided
- It is derived from two plant sources –flame lily (Gloriosa superba) and meadow saffron (Colchicum autumnale). As flame lily has the potential to cause convulsions (fits)
- Thiocolchicoside should not be used in patients who have a history or at risk for seizures
- Thiocolchicoside has the potential to cause some severe side effects such as cancers and fertility problems. It can cause abortions and defects of the unborn baby and hence should be avoided at any cost in pregnant and breastfeeding womenread less
- Thiocolchicoside should not be used in children younger than 16 years of age
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Thiocolchicoside
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved