Lornoxicam is a non-steroidal drug for swelling and pain (Non-Steroidal Anti-In
flammatory Drug- NSAID) used to reduce the pain and swelling of patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Uses of Lornoxicam
- Pain and swelling of joints (osteoarthritis)
- Severe joint disease (rheumatoid arthritis)
Contraindications of Lornoxicam
When should one not use Lornoxicam
- Allergic to Lornoxicam or any other excipients of the product
- Allergic to pain medicines (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs)
- Asthma, swelling in the nose, swelling under skin or red bumps on the skin
- Kidney or liver diseases
- Stomach ulcers
- History of bleeding or perforation related to previous NSAIDs therapy
- Low levels of blood platelets (thrombocytes)
- History of heart failure
- History of stomach or intestinal bleeding
- Brain-related internal bleeding or other bleeding disorders
Side effects of Lornoxicam
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, throat, running/stuffy nose and sneezing
- Swelling (inflammation) of the intestine
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and indigestion
- Blood disorders
- Vision trouble, sensitivity to light
- Drowsiness or sleeplessness
- Fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Mouth ulcers
- Skin death, rash and peeling
Precautions and Warnings of Lornoxicam
Can I take Lornoxicam during pregnancy?
Taking Lornoxicam during pregnancy may harm an unborn baby. It may increase the risk of miscarriage. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy before using this medicine.
Can I take Lornoxicam while breastfeeding?
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding as no information is available on the excretion of Lornoxicam in human milk, however Lornoxicam should not be used if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Lornoxicam?
This medicine may make you feel dizzy or drowsy, do not drive or operate machines if you are taking Lornoxicam.
Can I consume alcohol with Lornoxicam?
No information is available on interactions of Lornoxicam when taken with alcohol, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Above 65 years of age
- You have high cholesterol
- You have liver or kidney disease
- You have any heart-related problems
- You have diabetes
- You have hereditary problems of glucose intolerance
Mode of Action of Lornoxicam
How Does It Work?
It inhibits the action of chemicals responsible for the pain, swelling, tenderness and fever.
Interactions of Lornoxicam
Interactions with other medicines
- Lornoxicam increases the effect of Methotrexate, Digoxin, Sulphonylureas and anticoagulants
- Lornoxicam has a fatal impact with Lithium toxicity
- Lornoxicam decreases the effect of blood pressure medicines of class ACE-inhibitors and water pills (Diuretics)
- Blood concentration of Lornoxicam rises when given along with Cimetidine
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Lornoxicam when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Lornoxicam
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Lornoxicam, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Lornoxicam
Symptoms are nausea, vomiting, brain-related symptoms (dizziness, disturbances in vision). Severe symptoms are cramps, poor control over movements gradually ascending to coma, liver or kidney damage and severe bleeding disorders. Seek emergency medical care immediately if you suspect an overdose....
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose, take medicine when you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, don’t take the missed dose and continue the regular dosing schedule. Do not take double the dose to compensate for a missed dose....
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Lornoxicam?
A: You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any heart, kidney, liver diseases, bleeding disorders, high blood pressure or asthma. Inform your doctor if you have any active infection or if you have an allergy to Lornoxicam or any other medicine. Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, supplements or herbal preparations.
Q: What should I avoid while taking Lornoxicam?
A: Be careful while performing tasks that need you to be alert like driving or operating a machine. Lornoxicam can impair your ability to perform hazardous tasks by some of its side effects like drowsiness.
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.