Irbesartan belongs to the group of medicines known as angiotensin receptor blockers. It is at times given along with blood pressure medicines or other class for enhanced effect.
Uses of Irbesartan
- It is used to treat high blood pressure
- It is also used to protect the kidney from high blood pressure and associated conditions like Type 2 diabetes
Contraindications of Irbesartan
When should one not use Irbesartan
- If you have an allergy to Irbesartan or any ingredients of the medicine
- If you are more than three months pregnant
- If you have diabetes or having a kidney problem
Side effects of Irbesartan
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Increased potassium levels in the blood – irregular heartbeats, chest pain, weakness, tingling
- Feeling dizzy, sickness (nausea), vomiting, raised heart muscle enzymes (like creatine kinase)
- Dizziness while getting up from a sitting or lying position (orthostatic hypotension), muscle and joint pains and low hemoglobin are common in patients with high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes
Precautions and Warnings of Irbesartan
Can I take Irbesartan during pregnancy?
Irbesartan should not be taken during pregnancy as it has the potential to harm the unborn baby.
Can I take Irbesartan while breastfeeding?
It is unknown whether Irbesartan is secreted in the breast milk and harm the baby. Due to lack of availability of sufficient data, avoid breastfeeding while you are on this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Irbesartan?
Irbesartan is not known to affect your driving ability. If you experience any symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness, avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Irbesartan?
Caution is advised as alcohol can lower blood pressure and increase the side effects of Irbesartan like sedation or drowsiness, especially when you start the treatment.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have excessive vomiting or loose motions
- You have kidney or heart problems
- You are suffering from diabetic kidney disease
- You are going to have any surgery
- You are taking any of the medicines used to treat high blood pressure and diabetes-related kidney problems (like Enalapril, Lisinopril, Ramipril, Aliskiren)
Mode of Action of Irbesartan
How Does It Work?
Angiotensin II is a hormone which narrows the blood vessels in kidneys, heart and lungs and increases the blood pressure. It also raises the levels of a substance called aldosterone, which acts on kidneys to increase salt and fluid levels in the body and further increases blood pressure. Irbesartan blocks the effects of this angiotensin II and thus has a dual effect of relieving blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels and protecting the kidney.
Interactions of Irbesartan
Interactions with other medicines
- ACE-inhibitor or Aliskiren
- Potassium supplements and salt substitutes containing potassium
- Medicines containing lithium
Interactions with food items
Irbesartan can be taken before or after meals.
Dietary Restrictions of Irbesartan
Avoid potassium supplements or salt substitutes unless advised by your physician. Some high potassium fruits and vegetables should be avoided.
Dosage of Irbesartan
Accidental or unintentional overdose with Irbesartan may not be harmful. But if you experience symptoms such as low blood pressure (dizziness, feeling light-headed or fainting), fast or slow heart rate, consult your doctor.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. If the next dose is too near, continue with your next scheduled dose and skip the missed dose. Do not take a higher or a double dose to compensate for it. Ideally, there should be a 12-hour gap between 2 doses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before taking Irbesartan?
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from any kidney, liver diseases or congestive heart failure (decreased pumping ability of the heart)
- Blood pressure, blood potassium and other electrolyte levels, and kidney function tests need to be checked regularly
- This medicine can be taken with or without food but you are advised to take this medicine at the same time every day to derive maximum benefit
- Irbesartan is slow to act and it may take 4-6 weeks to achieve the desired blood pressure levels
- Do not stop the medication a few weeks after starting because you do not see any improvement
- Its duration of action is also long and most commonly used once daily
- Dose adjustment may be required in the elderly
- Irbesartan should not be used in children and adolescents less than 18 years of age
Q: Is Irbesartan an effective medicine to control my blood pressure?
- Irbesartan is of particular benefit in patients who have associated high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes
- Irbesartan is commonly used with a water pill called hydrochlorothiazide to adequately control high blood pressure
- When used alone or in combination with hydrochlorothiazide, this medicine has demonstrated excellent safety and tolerability
- It is one of the safest blood pressure medicines, even when used for long term
- Apart from its protective effect on kidneys, Irbesartan has also shown benefits in high blood pressure patients with heart disease, especially heart failure (decreased pumping efficiency of the heart)
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Irbesartan
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved