Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic. It belongs to the Fluoroquinolone group, and it works by killing bacteria that causes infections.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin
- Urinary tract infection
- Lower respiratory tract infection
- Skin infection
- Sinus infection
- Prostate infection
- Bone and joint infection
- Intestinal infection
- Typhoid fever
- Bubonic plague
Contraindications of Ciprofloxacin
When should one not use Ciprofloxacin
- Do not take if you are allergic to Ciprofloxacin or any ingredient of this medicine
- Do not take if you are on a medication of Tizanidine
Side effects of Ciprofloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Joint pain and joint inflammation in children
Precautions and Warnings of Ciprofloxacin
Can I take Ciprofloxacin during pregnancy?
It is preferable to avoid the use of Ciprofloxacin during pregnancy.
Can I take Ciprofloxacin while breastfeeding?
You should avoid Ciprofloxacin during breastfeeding because it excretes in breast milk.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ciprofloxacin?
Be cautious while driving, as taking Ciprofloxacin may lead to dizziness.
Can I consume alcohol with Ciprofloxacin?
You should avoid consuming alcohol along with this medicine, as Ciprofloxacin may cause more dizziness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are taking medicines like Vitamin K antagonists (e.g., Warfarin, Acenocoumarol, Phenprocoumon or Fluindione), medicines for thinning of the blood, breathing problems, epilepsy, gout, Parkinson’s disease, for certain types of cancer, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, psychotic disease, nausea, and vomiting or skin conditionsRead less
- You are taking medicines in organ transplantation or medicines that belong to the group of Antiarrhythmics, Macrolides or Tizanidine
Mode of Action of Ciprofloxacin
How Does It Work?
It inhibits the enzymes that are responsible for bacterial growth, repair, and replication, which further restricts bacterial growth.
Interactions of Ciprofloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Anticoagulants like Warfarin
- Phenytoin (to treat epilepsy or fits)
- Probenecid (for gout)
- Olanzapine (antipsychotic)
- Cyclosporin (for skin conditions, rheumatoid arthritis and in organ transplantation)
- Sildenafil (for erectile dysfunction)
- Medicines for heart disorders like Quinidine, Hydroquinidine
- Agomelatine (antidepressants)
- Lanthanum Carbonate
- Vitamin and mineral supplements that contain calcium, zinc, and iron
- Zolpidem (for sleeping disorders)
Interactions with food items
- Milk/ milk products
- Other products fortified with calcium
Dosage of Ciprofloxacin
A massive overdose of Ciprofloxacin could cause trouble in breathing. Consult your doctor immediately if you feel any severe problem.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed a dose, take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Ciprofloxacin?
A: You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any kidney or liver diseases, diabetes, heart rhythm disorder, a family history of long QT syndrome, myasthenia gravis, a current or past history of joint, tendon problem or arthritis, history of seizures, low potassium levels in the blood. Inform about all your ongoing medications, especially if you are taking blood thinners, heart rhythm medicines, etc.
Q: What should I avoid while taking Ciprofloxacin?
A: Avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Wear sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) or protective clothing since Ciprofloxacin can make you more prone to sunburn. Be careful while driving or while doing any task that needs you to be alert. This medicine can impair your thinking. Do not share the medicine with anyone, even if they have the same symptoms.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Ciprofloxacin
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved