Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
Mefenamic Acid+Dicyclomine is combination medicine. It is an anti-spasmodic med
icine used for the treatment of spasms and pain in the stomach during or before menses. Mefenamic Acid+Dicyclomine is available in the form of tablet. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
Contraindications of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
When should one not use Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
- If you are allergic to mefenamic acid, dicyclomine or similar medicines
- If you have problems with your heart, liver or kidney
- If you have a problem in passing urine or obstruction or blockage in the bladder and kidney
- If you have an eye condition of increased eye pressure (glaucoma)
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease, bleeding in your stomach and intestines or obstruction in the intestine
- If you had an asthmatic attack due to painkillers
- If you have a condition of weakness in muscles (myasthenia gravis)
- It should not be used for managing pain before, during and after coronary bypass surgery
- Mefenamic Acid+Dicyclomine should not be used in the last trimester of pregnancy while breastfeeding and in infants below 6 months of age
Side effects of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
Precautions and Warnings of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from any respiratory disorders like asthma and lung and throat related disorder
- You have existing liver and kidney function problem or bleeding disorder of stomach or intestine
- You experience some related brain disorders like confusion, hallucinations, tiredness or aggression
- You are suffering from fits, epilepsy and seizures
- You have fluid retention and high blood pressure
- You have a prostate-related disorder, ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease) and megacolon (abnormal dilation of the colon)
- You are suffering from autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue of the body
- You experience diarrhoea, skin reactions or raised body temperature after taking this medicine
- Women can experience infertility with the use of this medicine and woman should also avoid she is planning to conceive.
- Mefenamic Acid+Dicyclomine should be used cautiously in patients with risk of heart disorder.
Mode of Action of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
How Does It Work?
- Mefenamic acid works by blocking the action of an enzyme responsible for the production of prostaglandin. Prostaglandin is an inflammatory mediator which is produced in conditions of pain, swelling and inflammatory responses. ...
- Dicyclomine (also called dicycloverine) is an antispasmodic agent which acts on smooth muscles of the bile duct, uterus, intestine and aids in relieving pain.
Interactions of Mefenamic Acid+Dicycloverine / Dicyclomine
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way mefenamic acid+dicyclomine works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat your heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, glaucoma or are taking blood thinners, antibiotics.
- Mefenamic Acid+Dicyclomine should not be taken for 8 to 12 days after taking a medicine called Mifepristone.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is mefenamic acid+dicyclomine available?
Q: What are the side effects of mefenamic acid+dicyclomine?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Meftal Spas. PI. [Internet]. BluecrossLabs.com. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Bentyl USP [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Ponstan Capsules 250mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]