Vilano 40mg Tablet
Vilano 40 MG Description
Vilano tablet is commonly used for managing the symptoms of major depressive disorder in adults only. It is a prescription medication. Vilazodone is the active ingredient in Vilano tablets. It is a t
ype of antidepressant medicine. Nausea, confusion, sleepiness, etc. are some of the side effects of Vilano tablets. The mode of action of Vilano tablets is by increasing certain chemical substances in the brain and reducing the excess activity of the nerve cells. Thus, helps in elevating the mood, increasing energy, reducing nervousness, etc. It produces a calming effect and sedation. This medicine is not approved for use in children under the age of 18. The dosage of Vilano tablets should be carefully monitored, especially in older adults and person with liver and kidney conditions. Even though it does not result in physical dependency, this medicine can cause psychological dependency if taken for a long time. Vilano tablets can cause suicidal thoughts in young adults (18 to 25 years old), so they must be carefully monitored. It is important to inform the doctor of the medical history and any medications currently taken by the user.
|Anxiety, Major depressive disorder, Panic disorder
|Delayed ejaculation, Vomiting, Confusion, Weight gain, Loss of appetite, Change in sexual desire, Sexual dysfunction
Uses of Vilano 40 MG
- As per CDSCO, Vilano tablet is used for the following:
- In the treatment of symptoms of major depressive disorder (persistent feeling of sadness, loneliness, and loss of interest in life) in adults
Contraindications of Vilano 40 MG
- If you have any allergic reaction to Vilazodone or any of the components of this medicine
- If you are noticing sudden change in the mood or suicidal thoughts
- If you use other anti-anxiety medicines or sedatives, they can interfere with Vilano tablets and cause adverse reactions
- If you have a known history of alcohol or recreational drug addiction or a mental health disorder
- If you have a seizure disorder
- If you are diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have manic episodes
- If you are diagnosed with angle-closure glaucoma (an eye condition that causes high fluid pressure inside the eye)
- If you have severe liver disease
Side effects of Vilano 40 MG
- Changes in sexual drive
Precautions and Warnings of Vilano 40 MG
Other General Warnings
- You experience changes in your sexual desires after taking Vilano tablets
- You have low sodium levels in the blood
- You use any Ayurvedic and herbal medicines (St John’s Wort) or take vitamins and supplements; these can interact with Vilano tablets and cause serious side effects
- You use pain relievers or other medications that cause sedation or tranquilzer
- You are an older adult over 65. The effects of this medicine are exaggerated in older persons and must be used with caution
- You are planning to have surgery or a dental procedure
- You recently had a heart attack or stroke
- You have high blood pressure
- You have been diagnosed with respiratory or lung disease
- You have kidney disorders. While Vilano Tablet can be safe, consult a doctor as side effects of this medicine increase in end-stage kidney failure
- You are a child or adolescent under 18
Mode of Action of Vilano 40 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Vilano 40 MG
- Take Vilano tablets precisely prescribed by the doctor (dose and duration)
- Do not take more than the recommended dose of Vilano tablet, even if you cannot notice its effects
- Try to swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water. Do not break or chew it
- Do not take the tablets with other medications without informing your doctor
- Do not use these tablets if their packaging is damaged
- Do not suddenly stop using Vilano tablets
- Vilano tablets can be taken with or without food. In case of any stomach issues, take it after a meal
Interactions of Vilano 40 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Certain anti-anxiety and mood disorder medicines like linezolid, moclobemide, selegiline etc. combined with the Vilano tablet it can cause severe reactions. They inhibit serotonin metabolism and can result in serotonin levels high enough to produce heart and neurotoxic serotonin syndrome...
- Combining other antidepressant medicines similar to vilano tablets like fluoxetine, paroxetine etc. with Vilano Tablet can raise serotonin levels and lead to serotonin toxicity with life-threatening side effects...
- If you have bleeding issues or take blood thinners, use Vilano tablets with caution as this medicine may increase the risk of bleeding
- It is contraindicated to use Vilano tablets along with antibiotics or linezolid or intravenous methylene blue
- Do not take other medicines that cause drowsiness, such as allergy, cold and cough medicine, opiates, or narcotic pain relievers with Vilano tablets. These medicines can increase the side effects of Vilano tablets and cause extreme drowsiness...
- Antiepileptic medicines for seizure disorders can increase the side effects of Vilano tablets
Interactions with food items
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice, as this fruit can worsen the side effects of Vilano tablets
- Avoid coffee and caffeine products as well as chocolates and desserts; these foods can increase serotonin levels and cause serotonin toxicity. High levels of serotonin can cause severe side effects
Storage and disposal of Vilano 40 MG
Dosage of Vilano 40 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use Vilano tablets if I used to get treatment for bipolar disorder?
Q: Can we give Vilano tablets to a child with depression?
Q: Will I put on or lose weight if I use Vilano tablets every day?
- VIIBRYD (vilazodone hydrochloride) tablets, for oral use. Initial U.S. Approval: 2011. Accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 2022 Mar 3] - Available from:
- Vilazodone: Medlineplus drug information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Mar 3]. Available from
- Wang S-M, Han C, Lee S-J, Patkar AA, Masand PS, Pae C-U. Vilazodone for the treatment of depression: An update [Internet]. Chonnam medical journal. Chonnam National University Medical School; 2016 [cited 2022 Mar 3]. Available from:
- Vilazodone [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 3]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Mar 3] - Available from: