By SUN PHARMA
Inclusive of all taxes
Non ReturnableRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
This is an injection that reduces acid production in the stomach. Sompraz Inj composition is that of a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors.
Uses of Sompraz Inj
- Sompraz Inj uses include the treatment of stomach ulcers, a stomach infection caused by the organism Helicobacter pylori, intestinal ulcers, and gastritis.
- Doctors prescribe Sompraz Inj for the treatment of heartburn, also called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, in which there is reflux of acid from the stomach to the food pipe.
Contraindications of Sompraz Inj
- Patients who are allergic to it and other medicines of the same class
- Those who have or are suspected to have cancer of the stomach
- People taking medication against HIV
Side effects of Sompraz Inj
Sompraz Inj side effects include headache, constipation, diarrhoea, flatulence, or stomach ache, skin rashes and allergies, susceptibility to infections, reduced sodium and magnesium blood levels, severe skin problems like blistering, and sensitivity to light, and Stevens Johnson syndrome, in which there is erosion on the lips, skin, and genitals.
Precautions and Warnings of Sompraz Inj
Can I take the injection during pregnancy?
There is insufficient knowledge about the effect of Sompraz Inj on pregnant women. Hence, it must be consumed if the doctor believes that its benefit is greater than its possible risk on the baby.
Can I take Sompraz Inj while breastfeeding?
Consult your doctor before you take the injection while breastfeeding since it is not known whether it gets passed onto the infant.
Can I drive if I have taken the injection?
In case you experience any dizziness, mental confusion or imbalance while driving, stop immediately. The effect of this medicine on driving however is negligible.
Can I consume alcohol with Sompraz Inj?
Even though there is no specific interaction with Sompraz Inj, excess alcohol consumption can cause heartburn and acidity. Therefore, avoid drinking too much alcohol..
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Specific precautions are required while taking the injection. If you have:
- History of stomach surgery
- Liver disorders, jaundice, or yellowish discolouration of the skin and eyes
- Suffer from kidney disorders
- You have a history of skin reactions to medicines similar to the medication
- You are above 55 years of age and are prescribed the medicine for a long term
- You develop skin rashes under the sun while taking this medicine
- You suffer from diarrhoea while taking the medication
Mode of Action of Sompraz Inj
How Does It Work?
It reduces acid production in the stomach. A proton pump in the stomach controls secretion of acids and the medicine attaches to this pump, thereby decreasing acid content. Thus it reduces acidity in the stomach.
Directions for Use of Sompraz Inj
Take the injection as prescribed by the doctor. It should usually be taken an hour before a meal, and adequate water consumption is important. Do not take this medicine in any manner other than as prescribed by the doctor, or without the doctor's advice.
Interactions of Sompraz Inj
Interactions with other medicines
- Itraconazole or ketoconazole which is used to treat fungal infections
- Methotrexate (used for some cancers)
- Tenofovir and other medicines used in treatment of HIV
- Warfarin and phenprocoumon, which may cause thinning or thickening of blood
Interactions with food items
Though there are no known interactions with food, nicotine, coffee, tea and alcohol can stimulate the production of acids.
Other general Interactions
There is insufficient data to show the interaction of the medicine with other interactions.
Storage and disposal of Sompraz Inj
The vial should be stored away from sunlight at room temperatures. Keep it away from the reach of children. Also follow any other instructions given by the doctor.
Dosage of Sompraz Inj
Symptoms like nausea, vomiting, breathlessness, tremors, sweating, increased heart rate and blurred vision may present in case of an overdose. There can also be mental confusion and disorientation. Consult your doctor immediately in case of such symptoms.
Missed a Dose
In case you have missed the injection, inform your doctor and take it immediately. However, if it is close to the time of the second injection, do not take a double dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the dietary restrictions while taking Sompraz Inj?
A: Avoid coffee, excess caffeine, spicy and fatty foods right before or after taking the injection.
Q: What should I tell my healthcare provider before beginning the course?
A: Any history or family history of cancer should be informed to your doctor, as studies have shown that Sompraz Inj can contribute to stomach cancer. Similarly, any HIV condition in the family or liver cirrhosis should be disclosed to the physician. Also inform them about any other medicines or supplements that you may be taking.
Q: For how long can Sompraz Inj be taken?
A: Depending on the condition, the injection takes 5-7 days for onset of action. Usually, it is prescribed for 1-6 months, but might be extended by the doctor if he deems it fit.
Q: Does Sompraz Inj cause any side effects if taken for a longer time?
A: If taken for excessively long periods, Sompraz Inj can cause clostridium difficile infection, malabsorbtion syndrome, atrophic gastritis and diarrhoea. Hence, it should only be taken as prescribed. Do not extend its use on your own.
Q: What is the normal dosage?
A: The dose of the injection varies according to the condition and severity. Usually, the average dose is 20-40mg per day. However, it is at the doctor's discretion to decide the dose according to your health and other existing medical conditions.
- electronic medicines Compendium (emC). Package leaflet: Information for the user. Esomeprazole 20 mg gastro-resistant tablets.
- DailyMed. ESOMEPRAZOLE MAGNESIUM - esomeprazole magnesium capsule, delayed release pellets.
- PubMed. Treatment of reflux disease during pregnancy and lactation.
- Apollo Pharmacy. SOMPRAZ I.V INJECTION.
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% OFF + 20% Cashback on all medicines + Free 1-Month Grofers Smart Bachat Club Membership
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved