Protussa Syrup 60ml
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
60ml Syrup in Bottle
Inclusive of all taxes
7 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Protussa Syrup 60ml Description
Protussa Cough syrup contains chlorpheniramine and dextromethorphan. Chlorpheniramine is an antiallergic medicine, dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. Protussa Cough syrup is used to relieve cou
gh due to throat irritation, sneezing and running nose. You must avoid taking the syrup along with medicines used to treat the psychiatric illness, as it may worsen the condition.
|You Save||₹9.60 (12% on MRP)|
|Contains||Dextromethorphan(5.0 Mg) + Chlorpheniramine Maleate(1.0 Mg)|
|Side effects||Dizziness, tiredness, drowsiness, sleepiness, upset stomach|
|Therapy||COUGH COLD PREPARATION|
Check more medicines with composition as Dextromethorphan(5.0 Mg) + Chlorpheniramine Maleate(1.0 Mg)
Uses of Protussa Syrup 60ml
Protussa Cough syrup gives short-term relief from sneezing, cough or runny nose due to minor throat and airway irritation, which occurs during common cold and other respiratory allergies.
Contraindications of Protussa Syrup 60ml
- If you are allergic to chlorpheniramine, dextromethorphan or other components of the syrup.
- If you have or had medicines like sodium oxybate (used to prevent daytime sleepiness).
- You must not take Protussa Cough syrup with or two weeks after the treatment with medicine from class monoamine oxidase inhibitors. An example of medicine is Phenelzine, Selegiline (used to treat mental illness or Parkinson's disease). In case you don't know whether the prescription includes the medicines, ask the doctor before taking Protussa Cough syrup....
Side effects of Protussa Syrup 60ml
- Upset stomach
- Blurring of vision
Precautions and Warnings of Protussa Syrup 60ml
Can I take Protussa Cough syrup during pregnancy?
There is little information available on the safety of Protussa Cough syrup in human pregnancy. Consult the doctor before using the cough syrup during pregnancy or you may be pregnant. The syrup must be used only if it is needed and an advantage overweighs the risk.
Can I take Protussa Cough syrup while breastfeeding?
No safety information is available about the effects of Protussa Cough syrup during breastfeeding. Thus, it is unknown if Protussa Cough syrup passes into human milk. Consult the doctor before using cough syrup during breastfeeding.
Can I drive after consuming Protussa Cough syrup?
It causes blurring of vision and drowsiness as side effects. Avoid driving in case of unwellness or unable to stay alert.
Can I consume alcohol while taking Protussa Cough syrup?
Protussa Cough syrup may cause drowsiness or sleepiness as a side effect, so if you consume it along with alcohol, it may exaggerate the drowsiness or sleepiness. Avoid consuming alcohol while on treatment with cough syrup.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You suffer from cough for a long duration with a lot of mucous (like asthma, emphysema or smoking).
- You suffer from eye problem like glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye).
- You face difficulty in urination and frequent urge to go to urination (enlarged prostate).
- You suffer from heart and liver problems.
- You suffer from breathing problems, high blood pressure and fits.
- In young children, the medicine may produce excitement instead of drowsiness, so be cautious while giving the syrup to children.
- Older people must be cautious while using Protussa Cough syrup as they are more prone to develop dizziness and urination difficulties with the syrup.
- It is not recommended to use the syrup in children below 2 years of age.
- You need to stop using the syrup and ask a doctor if the cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back or is accompanied by fever, rash or persistent headache. These could be the signs of a serious ailment....
Mode of Action of Protussa Syrup 60ml
How Does It Work?
- Natural substances like Histamine released in the body are responsible for allergies like sneezing or runny nose. Chlorpheniramine blocks the effect of the substances and provides relief from the common cold....
- There are specific areas in the brain (cough centre), which, when activated, produce coughing. Dextromethorphan affects and deactivates them, helps to relieve cough.
Directions for Use of Protussa Syrup 60ml
- Take Protussa Cough syrup as per the doctor's prescription.
- Shake well before use and use a cup or spoon for measurement.
- Avoid taking more than four doses in 24 hours.
Interactions of Protussa Syrup 60ml
Interactions with other medicines
- Protussa Cough syrup must not be taken with a medicine called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) because it causes serotonin syndrome which is a life-threatening condition that occurs due to a build-up of an excessive amount of serotonin in the body. In serotonin syndrome, a person may experience high body temperature, high blood pressure, fast heart rate, excitability, tremor (shakiness) and sweating. In such a situation, patients must rush to a nearby hospital....
- Protussa Cough syrup must be used cautiously with other medicines like Codeine, Hydrocodone (used for cough) that cause drowsiness. Alcohol, Marijuana, medicines to treat mental illness (Alprazolam, Lorazepam, Zolpidem, etc.), muscle-relaxing medicines ( Carisoprodol, Cyclobenzaprine), other antihistaminic medicines (Cetrizine, Diphenhydramine, etc.) must be consumed with caution....
Interactions with food items
Avoid consuming grapefruit juice or other products which might have grapefruit juice.
Storage and disposal of Protussa Syrup 60ml
- Store below 25°C in a clean and dry place.
- Please protect it from moisture, direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Protussa Syrup 60ml
An overdose of Protussa Cough syrup may cause drowsiness, dizziness, fast or irregular heartbeats, confusion, hallucination, nervousness, seizures, fits and difficulty in releasing urine. If you experience the symptoms or you have taken an excessive quantity of the syrup, contact the doctor or visit the nearest hospital....
Missed a Dose
Missing a dose of Protussa Cough syrup may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment. If you have missed taking a dose of medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with the regular dose schedule. Avoid taking a double dose to compensate for the missed one....
Dr. Nikita Toshi
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use Protussa Cough syrup along with other medicines for psychiatric illness?
A: No, you must not use Protussa Cough syrup if you are taking medicines for mental illness.
Q: Can Protussa Cough syrup be used in children?
A: Protussa Cough syrup must not be used in children below 2 years of age. Refrain from medicines for the children without consulting a child specialist.
Q: How long does it take for Protussa Cough syrup to show its action?
A: It can start showing its action after 2 hours of consumption. It varies among individuals depending on their physiological nature.
Q: Can I take Protussa Cough syrup if I have an eye problem?
A: Protussa Cough syrup contains Chlorpheniramine, which increases the pressure in the eye and thus decreases the effectiveness of glaucoma medicines. Talk to the doctor about the eye problem before using the syrup.
Country of Origin
Expires on or After
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed