Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S Description
Phenytal Tablet contains phenobarbital and phenytoin as its active ingredient. It belongs to the group of medicines known as antiepileptics. It is primarily used to treat epileptic fits or seizures a
nd some cases of mild sleep disorders. Phenobarbital acts by regulating chemicals GABA and glutamate in the brain to reduce brain activity. Phenytoin belongs to a group of medications known as anticonvulsants and acts by reducing abnormal levels of brain activity to help treat and reduce epileptic fits. It especially reduces the type of convulsions that begin to occur after a brain or nervous system surgery. Phenytal Tablet is an oral tablet taken with or without food as many times as prescribed by the doctor, depending on the severity of symptoms. It may cause side effects like dizziness, headaches, nausea, and uncoordinated limb movements. Stopping it abruptly may cause withdrawal seizures.
|You Save||₹2.55 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Phenobarbital(50.0 Mg) + Phenytoin(100.0 Mg)|
|Uses||Epileptic Fits, Seizures, Sleep Problems|
|Side effects||Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Vision Problems, Headache, Dizziness, Swelling of Gums|
Uses of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
- Phenytal Tablet can be used in the treatment of :
- Post neural surgery seizures
- Sleep problems
Contraindications of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
- If you are allergic to phenobarbital or phenytoin
- If you have Porphyria (group of disorders affecting blood haemoglobin )
- If you have Respiratory problems
- If you have Liver ailments
- If you have Hyperkinesia (uncontrolled muscle movements/tremors)
- If you have Heart problems like heart blocks & AV node disorders.
- If you have Narrow-angle glaucoma (increased Intra eye pressure due to blockage caused by the narrow-angle between iris and cornea)
- If you have Closed-angle glaucoma (increased eye pressure due to blockage caused by eye defects).
Side effects of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
- Eye related problems like dry eyes or blurry vision.
- Swelling of gums
- Irregular and abnormal hair growth
- Brittle bones
Precautions and Warnings of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
Other General Warnings
- You experience any allergy after taking Phenytal Tablet like rashes, hives or swelling on the face.
- You want to increase/decrease the dose of the medication.
- Your side-effects are too severe and disrupt your everyday life & do not seem to go away.
- Any other medical issues arise after taking Phenytal Tablet.
Mode of Action of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
- Phenytal Tablet is taken orally with/without food and as many times as prescribed by your doctor. Do not chew or crush the tablet in powder form.
- Care should be taken to take the medication at the same time every day.
- Do not change the dose without consultation with your physician. Do not stop taking Phenytal Tablet suddenly as it may cause withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, headaches, and increased frequency of seizures....
- It is advised to always check for the expiry date before starting the medication.
- It may be prescribed to patients below 18 years based on their condition and weight.
- Do not share the medication with anyone you know who has epilepsy or seizure disorders.
Interactions of Phenytal 50mg Tablet 10'S
Interactions with other medicines
- The following medications may cause adverse reactions if given along with Phenytal Tablet:
- The action of Phenytal is decreased by:
- Acyclovir( antiviral)
- Antineoplastics( chemotherapy medicines),
- Benzodiazepines( anti-anxiety),
- Ciprofloxacin, Rifampicin (antibiotics)
- Carbamazepine ( anticonvulsants)
- Folic acid
- Vigabatrin (anti-epileptic medication)
- The action of Phenytal Tablet is increased by :
- Allopurinol (gout medication to decrease uric acid levels)
- Capecitabine (cancer medication)
- Cimetidine (antacid, ulcer medication)
- Antifungals like fluconazole,
- Delavirdine (HIV medication)
- Disulfiram ( alcohol de-addiction medicine)
- Metronidazole (antibiotics)
- Omeprazole (gastric medication)
- Trazodone, SSRIS (antidepressants)
- It increases low blood pressure effects of - dopamine
- Increases cardiac toxicity with lidocaine(anaesthetic)
- It decreases the effect of clozapine, cyclosporine, selegiline, citalopram, benzodiazepines(antidepressants)
- digoxin( heart medication), itraconazole( antifungals), levodopa ( Parkinson’s medication)
- Let your doctor know about any other medications you are taking before starting Phenytal Tablet.
Interactions with food items
- Phenytal Tablet does not have any adverse interaction with any food.