Lomid 2 MG Description
Lomid Capsule contains loperamide, an antidiarrhoeal medicine as its active ingredient. It is used to treat diarrhoea and acts by decreasing the frequency of stools. Lomid is not used to treat diarrh
oea caused due to other reasons or other types of diarrhoea. You can stop taking this medicine, once you get relief from diarrhoea. Avoid taking if you have diarrhoea with blood or bacterial infection, causing diarrhoea. Lomid Capsules should not be used in children below 9 years of age. You should avoid excess spices, oils and sugars in the food, while on this medicine. Drink plenty of fluids and water to stay hydrated.
Uses of Lomid 2 MG
Contraindications of Lomid 2 MG
- If you are allergic to loperamide or any other ingredients of Lomid Capsule.
- If you suffer from constipation or develop it during treatment with the medicine.
- If you suffer from swelling of the stomach during or before treatment which does not get relieved on its own.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea with blood in stools or high fever.
- If you have or appears to have symptoms of ulcerative colitis (like stomach pain or cramps, weight loss, fatigue) which is a chronic disease of the gut.
- If you develop diarrhoea due to infection caused by bacterial like Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter.
- If you develop diarrhoea due to the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalosporins like Cefixime, Clindamycin, etc.
- It should not be used in patients less than 9 years old.
Side effects of Lomid 2 MG
- Flatulence (gas)
Precautions and Warnings of Lomid 2 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from acute diarrhoea, you must pay keen attention to appropriate fluid and electrolyte replacement from time to time.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for many days, do not keep taking the Lomid endlessly. Instead, get yourself checked as long-term diarrhoea may be a symptom of some serious underlying disease.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for more than 48 hours and Lomid does not control it, please consult a doctor for further treatment.
- You are an AIDS patient suffering from diarrhoea, you must stop taking Capsules at the first sign of stomach distension (bloating and swelling of the belly). The chances of painful constipation and intestinal obstruction are much higher in AIDS patients suffering from intestinal infections....
- You are suffering from liver disease, Lomid should be used with caution. It is important to watch out for dizziness, drowsiness and mental confusion.
- You are suffering from rare hereditary conditions in which your body cannot handle certain sugars (galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption).
- This medicine should be used cautiously in children and patients on a low sodium diet.
- This medicine should be discontinued promptly if signs of constipation, stomach distension or stomach pain develop.
- You should not exceed the recommended dose or duration of treatment as it is associated with increased heart disorders.
Mode of Action of Lomid 2 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Lomid 2 MG
- Lomid Capsule should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Lomid 2 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Certain medicines can interfere with the action of the Lomid Capsule if, taken at the same time. Always inform your doctor about all the medicine you are taking, that includes all prescribed or non-prescribed herbal medicines, dietary supplements as well as other treatment if you are taking for any disorder. ...
- In particular, if you are taking medicines for high cholesterol levels, fungal infection like ketoconazole, anti- HIV medicines, desmopressin which is a medicine given for excessive urination, as it increases the amount of Lomid in blood, thereby requiring adjustment of doses by the treating physician....
- Other medicines that should be used with caution are pain killers like hydrocodone, certain anti-asthma medicines like oral preparations of Ipratropium, anti-allergy medicines like hydroxyzine, etc.
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Lomid 2 MG
- Store the Lomid Capsule in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Discard appropriately unused medicine after expiry.
Dosage of Lomid 2 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is Diarrhoea? What causes it?
Q: Is the Lomid Capsule an antibiotic?
Q: Is Lomid Capsule used for loose motion?
- Loperamide 2 mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 20 May 2022]
- CDSCO - Loperamide [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 20 May 2022]
- Imodium, K-Pek II (loperamide) dosing, indications, interactions, adverse effects, and more [Internet]. Reference.medscape.com. 2022 [cited 20 May 2022]
- Loperamide 2 mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 20 May 2022]
- DailyMed - imodium- Loperamide Hydrochloride capsule [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 20 May 2022]