Imodium 2 MG Description
Imodium capsule contains loperamide, an antidiarrhoeal medicine. It decreases the frequency of stools. It is not suitable for all types of diarrhoea. Stop taking it once you get relief from diarrhoea
. It is not to be used if you have diarrhoea with blood or bacterial infection, causing diarrhoea. Inform your doctor about all other medicines you are taking before starting treatment with Imodium capsule.
- Lomika 2mg Strip Of 10 CapsulesBy Avighna Medicare Pvt Ltd10 Capsule(s) in StripMRP 37.00₹ 31.4528% CHEAPER₹ 3.15/Capsule
- Roko 2mg CapsuleBy Cipla Gx10 Capsule(s) in StripMRP 22.96₹ 16.0763% CHEAPER₹ 1.61/Capsule
- Eldoper 2mg CapsuleBy Micro Labs10 Capsule(s) in StripMRP 39.00₹ 33.1524% CHEAPER₹ 3.32/Capsule
Uses of Imodium 2 MG
Contraindications of Imodium 2 MG
- If you are known to have an allergy to the medicine or any of its ingredients of Imodium capsule.
- If your age is less than 9-years.
- If you already suffer from constipation or develop it during treatment with the medicine.
- If there is unexplained swelling of the stomach during or before treatment, which does not get relieved on its own.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea with blood in stools or have a high fever.
- If you are a known case of or appear to have symptoms of ulcerative colitis (like stomach pain or cramps, weight loss, fatigue), which is a chronic disease of the gut.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea due to infection caused by bacteria like Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea due to the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalosporins like Cefixime, Clindamycin, etc.
Side effects of Imodium 2 MG
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea, vomiting
- Dryness of mouth
- Constipation, increased gas formation
- Stomach pain or discomfort
- Decreased level of consciousness
- Tiredness or drowsiness
- Stomach swelling, itchy skin, difficulty passing urine (rarely)
Precautions and Warnings of Imodium 2 MG
- There is limited information about the effects of Imodium capsule in human pregnancy. However, it is advisable not to take this medicine during pregnancy, especially during the first 3-months.
- The first 3-months of pregnancy are important, as the body and organs of the foetus are formed during this period.
- You should consult your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a child before starting this medicine.
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from acute diarrhoea, you must pay keen attention to appropriate fluid and electrolyte replacement from time to time.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for many days, do not keep taking Imodium capsule endlessly. Instead, get yourself checked as long-term diarrhoea may be a symptom of some serious underlying disease.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for more than 48 hours and Imodium capsule does not control it, please consult a doctor for further treatment.
- You are an AIDS patient suffering from diarrhoea, you must stop taking tablets at the first sign of stomach distension (bloating and swelling of the belly). The chances of painful constipation and intestinal obstruction are much higher in AIDS patients suffering from intestinal infections....
- You are suffering from liver disease, Imodium capsule should be used with caution. It is important to watch out for dizziness, drowsiness and mental confusion.
- You are suffering from rare hereditary conditions in which your body cannot handle certain sugars (galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption).
- This medicine should be used cautiously in children and patients on a low-sodium diet.
- This medicine should be discontinued promptly if signs of constipation, stomach distension or stomach pain develop.
- You should not exceed the recommended dose or duration of treatment as it is associated with increased heart disorders.
Mode of Action of Imodium 2 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Imodium 2 MG
- Take Imodium capsule as a whole with a sufficient amount of water.
- You should take this medicine as directed by your doctor.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Imodium 2 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- If you take Imodium capsule with Ritonavir (used to treat AIDS), Quinidine (used to treat malaria and for disorders affecting the heart rate), Itraconazole; Ketoconazole, (used to treat fungal infections), Gemfibrozil (used to reduce cholesterol in blood) or with an oral preparation of desmopressin, which is a medicine given for excessive urination, they will increase the amount of Imodium capsule in blood by slowing its systemic breakdown thereby requiring adjustment of doses by your treating physician....
- You should avoid this medicine in combination with medicines known to cause ECG changes e.g. Quinidine (medicines given for malaria and for disorders affecting the heart rate), Procainamide, Amiodarone, Sotalol, (medicine given for disorders affecting the heart rate), Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol, Thioridazine, Ziprasidone, (medicines given for psychosis), Moxifloxacin (an antibiotic), Pentamidine (an antimicrobial) and Methadone (a pain killer)....
- If you are currently taking any one or more of the following medicines, then it is advisable to inform the treating physician in advance and confirm whether it is safe to continue or start treatment with Loperamide. Certain pain killers like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Tramadol, Fentanyl, Tapenade, anti-allergy medicines like Hydroxyzine, Promethazine, Phenyltoloxamine, Orphenadrine and Tripelennamine; anti-dizziness medicines like Hyoscine, Dimenhydrinate, certain anti-asthma medicines like oral preparations of Ipratropium, Tiotropium, etc. These medicines decrease the movement of the intestine and may cause constipation if used with the Loperamide tablet....
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Imodium 2 MG
- Imodium capsule does not require any requirements for storage.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children and pets.
- Refer to the carton for the expiry date. You should not use this medicine once the expiry date has passed. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- You should not use this medicine if you notice that the pack is damaged or it shows signs of tampering.
- You should not flush this medicine in the toilet or pour them into the drain. You need to properly discard this medicine when it is expired or no longer needed.
Dosage of Imodium 2 MG
- Overdose of Imodium capsule will lead to abnormalities of the rhythm of the heart and respiratory failure.
- Symptoms of overdose are palpitations, difficulty breathing, choking or vomiting while not being fully conscious, coordination abnormality, sleepiness, constipation.
- If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor or visit the nearest hospital immediately.
Missed a Dose
- Missing a dose of Imodium capsule may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- If you missed any dose of medicine, then take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Imodium capsule an antibiotic?
Q: How much time does it take for Imodium capsule to work?
Q: For how long does the effect of a single dose of Imodium capsule tablet last?
Q: For how long should I take Imodium capsule?
Q: Can I take Imodium capsule with pain killers?
Q: Can probiotics be taken along with this medicine?
Q: What is Diarrhoea? What causes it?
Q: When should I take Imodium?
Q: Can Imodium be given to children?
Q: How do I take Imodium capsules?
Q: Does Imodium help with gas?
Q: What are the side effects of taking Imodium?
- Loperamide- Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 14 March 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 14 March 2022]
- Imodium [Internet]. Reference.medscape.com. 2021 [cited 14 March 2022]
- Immodium [Internet]. Imodium.com 2021 [cited 14 March 2022]