Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
By ZYDUS CADILA HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Demisone 0.5mg Tablet contains Dexamethasone which belongs to a class of medicines known as steroids. It is used to treat various inflammatory conditions, allergies, auto-immune conditions and to manage symptoms and side effects of certain types of cancer. This medicine acts by reducing the formation of inflammation-causing substances in the body. It should be taken with food or after food and should preferably be taken at the same time every day as per the direction given by the doctor. It should be avoided by pregnant women and should be given to children under medical supervision. Long term therapy should be avoided in children. You should complete the entire treatment with this medicine and not stop it mid-way on your own without the knowledge of your doctor.
Uses of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
- Demisone 0.5mg Tablet is used to treat various inflammatory conditions and auto-immune disorders.
- It is used for relieving pain and inflammation in different body parts and various conditions for eg. arthritis.
- It is also used in treating various allergies associated with the skin (eczema, erythroderma) and lung disorders (asthma attack).
- It is useful in cancer therapy to reduce some specific symptoms and side effects to improve the quality of life.
Contraindications of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
If you are allergic to dexamethasone or any other components of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet.
Side effects of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
- The side effects of this tablet are highly dependent on the dose and duration of the treatment.
- You may experience anxiety, stomach discomforts, insomnia, mood swings, dizziness, feeling low and restlessness.
- Prolonged use of this medicine can suppress the activity of adrenal glands and induce Cushing's syndrome characterised by a moon face, obesity and pink-purple stretch marks.
- Other side effects are visual disturbances, blood-related disorders, skin reactions, weak immunity, high blood pressure and masking of underlying infections.
Precautions and Warnings of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
Can I take Demisone 0.5mg Tablet during pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester. It may increase the risk of growth retardation, abnormal brain development and cleft palate/lip in the fetus. Cases of cataracts also have been observed in babies born to mothers taking steroids for the long term. Thus, it should be taken when the doctor recommends after assessing the benefits of this medicine outweighs the risks to an unborn baby.
Can I take Demisone 0.5mg Tablet while breastfeeding?
This medicine passes into breast milk in small amounts. Thus, the use of this medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding mothers unless prescribed by the doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Demisone 0.5mg Tablet?
It is less likely to affect your driving abilities. However, you should not drive if you experience any side effects which can hamper your ability to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Demisone 0.5mg Tablet?
There is limited information about the effects of this medicine with alcohol, but you should avoid having alcohol in excessive amounts.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience any skin allergies and rise in blood sugar levels or you have diabetes.
- You have a history of muscle weakness due to steroid therapy or have a condition called Myasthenia Gravis.
- You experience mood disturbances, fits and other psychiatric problems like suicidal thoughts after taking this medicine.
- You are taking any medicines to suppress the immune response. Discuss your condition with a doctor before starting this medicine.
- You are elderly, have a heart problem, high blood pressure and cholesterol, blood clotting problems, liver and kidney diseases.
- You experience visual disturbances and eye infections. Upon long-term use, there is the probability that you may develop a cataract.
- This medicine may cause inflammation and swelling in different parts of your gut like the stomach, pancreas and can also cause ulcers.
- This medicine makes you more prone to infections, in case you are suffering from an infection like fungal infection, measles and chickenpox.
- It can impair the fertility of an individual if you are trying to conceive or taking any fertility treatment. Discuss with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Children and adolescents consuming steroids should be observed for growth abnormalities as steroids can retard the growth.
Mode of Action of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Demisone 0.5mg Tablet is a steroid medicine. Steroids are hormones produced in the human body and responsible for normal body functions. It acts by suppressing the immune response in allergies and inflammation and during organ transplantation and helps in reducing symptoms such as pain, swelling and allergic reactions. Steroids play a critical role in maintaining normal body functions during stress.
Directions for Use of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
- Take Demisone 0.5mg Tablet regularly as directed by your doctor.
- This medicine should be taken with food or after food.
- It should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. Do not break, cut or chew it.
Interactions of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant use of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet with contraceptives can prolong the effect of this medicine.
- Antacids containing salts of aluminium and magnesium should be used after a gap of 2-hours with this medicine.
- Medicines like Rifampicin, Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Ephiderine and Primidone can reduce the effect of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet.
- Antifungal medicines such as Ketoconazole and Itraconazole can increase the effectiveness of this medicine if taken along.
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure such as Enalapril and Captopril when used with this medicine can lead to variations in blood count.
- Medicines used to treat heart failure such as Digoxin when used together can reduce the potassium levels in the body.
- This medicine can reduce the blood-glucose-lowering action of anti-diabetic medicines.
- It can also reduce the anticoagulant effect of anti-coagulant medicines like Coumarin.
- Pain killers such as aspirin and indomethacin when taken along with this medicine can increase the risk of ulcers and bleeding in the digestive tract.
- The muscle relaxing effect of muscle relaxants is prolonged when taken along with this medicine.
- Atropine or other medicines used to dilate pupil can increase pressure inside your eyes if used with this medicine.
- Medicines used to suppress immune responses such as Cyclosporin can increase the risk of getting infections if taken along with this medicine.
- This medicine should not be taken within 8 weeks if you have received any live vaccine.
Storage and disposal of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
- Store this medicine at room temperature and away from moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet
An overdose of this medicine can affect your metabolic and hormonal activity. The symptoms are very similar to side effects, such as salt imbalance, swelling of the face, stomach discomforts and brain-related side effects. Reach out to the nearest hospital or contact your doctor. If the patient experiences seizures and breathing difficulties rush immediately to emergency medical support.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can this medicine be used in children?
A: This medicine should only be given to children if it is prescribed by the doctor and in the exact dose as prescribed under the supervision of an adult. Giving steroids to children for long term treatment can impair their growth.
Q: I am diabetic. Can I use Demisone 0.5mg Tablet?
A: Yes, but this medicine should be consumed with precaution with anti-diabetics as it can interfere with the blood-glucose-lowering effect of anti-diabetic medicines. Inform your doctor if you have diabetes and taking medications to arrive at the suitable dose adjustments.
Q: Can I stop taking this medicine if my symptoms subside?
A: No, you should not stop taking this medicine abruptly as it can result in steroidal withdrawal symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhoea and vomiting. Hence, steroid medicines should be stopped by reducing the dose slowly without stopping the treatment abruptly.
Q: What do you mean by steroid withdrawal?
A: Medicines containing steroids act as a natural steroid produced in the body. It reduces the production of steroids by adrenal glands and when you stop taking steroids suddenly it reduces the levels of steroids in the body and causes a steroid withdrawal syndrome. Common symptoms of steroid withdrawal syndrome are fatigue, weakness, body ache, muscle pain, feeling of fainting and nausea.
Q: Can I take this medicine to reduce fever?
A: No, it is not an antipyretic medicine and it does not help in reducing fever.
Q: What are the side effects of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet?
A: The common side effects are feeling low, increase appetite, indigestion, nervousness, slow wound healing, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. These side effects are temporary and may not be experienced by everyone. In case you experience any of the side effects, or you feel any discomfort after using this medicine, you should contact your doctor immediately.
Q: How to reduce the side effects of Demisone 0.5mg Tablet?
- Talk to your doctor about any specific side effect that is bothering you.
- Your doctor may reduce the dose of your steroid medicine or suggest an alternative route of administration.
- Make healthy food choices and maintain an active lifestyle.
- Taking steroids for too long can affect your bone health, consult your doctor if you can take Vitamin D and calcium as a supplement.
- Never stop taking this medicine abruptly as it can aggravate the side effects. Your doctor will reduce the dose gradually when required.
Q: How does this medicine work?
A: This medicine is a steroidal medication. Steroids are hormones produced in the human body and responsible for normal body functions. It acts by suppressing the immune response in allergies and inflammation and during organ transplantation and helps in reducing symptoms such as pain, swelling and allergic reactions.
Q: How does this medicine can help in mouth cancer?
A: This medicine is sometimes used in the short-term treatment of nausea caused due to cancer chemotherapy and during bone marrow transplant. However, until now, there is no specific information available about its action in controlling or reducing mouth or oral cancer.
Last Updated on: 20 Mar 2021 | 09:45 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved