Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet Description
Cotrimoxazole Tablet is an antibiotic medicine. It is used to treat various bacterial infections like ear, lung, airway, throat, urinary tract, skin infections, etc. Cotrimoxazole contains a combinat
ion of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole as its active ingredients. This medicine acts by limiting the spread of infection by inhibiting the growth of bacteria. Do not miss any doses or stop taking this medicine on your own. You must complete the course of antibiotics, discontinuing the treatment on your own, leads to antibiotic resistance and the recurrence of infection makes this medicine less effective for future infections. It is advised to take the Cotrimoxazole with or after meals.
- Cotrimoxazole Ss Strip Of 10 TabletsBy Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd(kapl)10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 20.00₹ 17.00₹ 1.70/Tablet
Uses of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Contraindications of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to trimethoprim, sulfamethoxazole or any other ingredients of Cotrimoxazole Tablet.
- If you are suffering from any severe liver or kidney problems.
- If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- If you are suffering from any blood disorders (like anaemia, etc.).
Side effects of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
- Skin rash
- Fungal infections
- Increase in potassium levels
Precautions and Warnings of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from severe allergies or asthma.
- You have problems related to your kidneys.
- You have a folic acid deficiency.
- You are malnourished or underweight.
- You are above 60 years of age.
- You are taking potassium supplements.
- You have a rare disorder called porphyria.
- You have a blood enzyme deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency).
- You are suffering from any blood disorder. Your doctor may ask you to do regular blood tests if you need long-term treatment or are prone to anaemia.
Mode of Action of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Interactions of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Cotrimoxazole Tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time. Cotrimoxazole Tablets may interact with other medicines. Discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled....
- Concomitant use of the Cotrimoxazole Tablet along with ciclosporin used for rheumatoid arthritis may cause kidney problems.
- Medicines like procainamide used for irregular heartbeats when taken with this medicine can interfere with the action of this tablet.
- Concomitant use along with blood thinners like warfarin, coumarins may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Using medicines like azathioprine and mercaptopurine used for rheumatoid arthritis with this medicine can affect the bone marrow and blood cells.
- Cotrimoxazole Tablet can enhance the effect of some antidiabetic medications such as repaglinide, decreasing your blood sugar levels abruptly.
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
- Store Cotrimoxazole Tablet in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Cotrimoxazole 400mg Tablet
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I discontinue Cotrimoxazole Tablet if I am feeling perfectly fine?
- No, Cotrimoxazole Tablet is an antibiotic and has to be taken for the complete course as prescribed by your doctor.
- If you stop taking this medicine in between before completing the course of treatment, your symptoms may reoccur.
- To ensure complete and effective treatment, take medicine for the full course even if you start feeling fine midway.
Q: Can Cotrimoxazole Tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
Q: Can I take the Cotrimoxazole Tablet for urinary tract infections?
- Co-Trimoxazole 800mg/160mg Forte Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Co-Trimoxazole 800mg/160mg Forte Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Tripathi K. Essentials of medical pharmacology. 7th ed. Antimicrobial Drugs: 688-849.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]