Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
3 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet contains Acenocoumarol as an active ingredient. It is used to treat and prevent the formation of abnormal blood clots (thrombus) in the blood vessels. It is used in various diseases associated with the abnormal blood clots affecting the heart, brain, legs and lungs. Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet works by inhibiting the action of an enzyme responsible for the clotting of blood. You should not take this medicine if you are pregnant, if you have high blood pressure, have an existing condition of risk of bleeding & recent history of surgery.
Uses of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
- Treatment and prevention of diseases where the blood vessels are obstructed (thromboembolic diseases) such as Deep vein thrombosis (mainly affects legs) and other disorders related to the heart, lungs and brain due to blood clot formation.Read less
- As an adjuvant in the treatment of obstruction of blood flow through the heart due to blood clot (coronary occlusion).
Contraindications of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Acenocoumarol or any ingredient of this medicine.
- If you are at a risk of bleeding due to blood disorders.
- If you have high blood pressure or accumulation of fluid around the heart.
- If you have a recent history of stroke due to bleeding in the brain or brain haemorrhages.
- If you have stomach ulcers or intestinal bleeding, urinary tract infection or respiratory tract problem.
- If you recently had or about to have surgery, have a liver or kidney problem, pregnant or planning a baby.
- People who are difficult to co-operate such as alcoholics, with mental deterioration or psychiatric disorders.
Side effects of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
The most common side effect of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet is bleeding. Bleeding commonly occurs in areas like stomach, intestine, liver, eye, urinary tract and brain.
Precautions and Warnings of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
Can I take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet during pregnancy?
Pregnant women should not take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet as it is unsafe during pregnancy and can lead to malformations in the unborn baby. Woman of childbearing age should use proper contraceptive measures while taking this tablet. If you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant, discontinue the treatment and reach out to your doctor, he/she will shift you to a safer alternative.
Can I take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet while breastfeeding?
It passes into the breastmilk in a small amount. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding, your doctor will tell you about the use of this medicine after assessing the benefits over risks.
Can I drive if I have consumed Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet tablet?
It does not influence your driving ability. However, you should always keep your anticoagulant card while driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet tablet?
It is advised to avoid alcohol intake along with this medicine, as it may affect the activity of this medicine and may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from a liver problem as the liver is the main site of the formation of blood clotting factors, and it can be affected. You may get a liver disorder.
- You have kidney or heart problem; the dose will be decided depending upon the severity of your underlying conditions.
- You are suffering from a blood disorder like abnormal bleeding after injury; caution is required for such patients.
- You are an older person or giving it to a child, be cautious and more frequent monitoring of PT/INR is recommended.
- You are suffering from a rare condition where calcium builds up in blood vessels in the skin, as these medicines contain calcium.
- You have disorders due to which absorption from the gut is not proper.
- You have increased thyroid levels, infection or inflammation, cancer or tumour.
- If you experience bleeding problems, reach out to your doctor.
Mode of Action of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet contains Acenocoumarol which is structurally similar to vitamin K. Vitamin K is an essential factor required for blood clotting. Acenocoumarol inhibits the action of an enzyme which maintains the adequate levels of vitamin K required for blood clotting.
Directions for Use of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
- Take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet as instructed by your doctor at the same time every day
- Do not change your dose or stop taking this medicine on your own
Interactions of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet should not be taken along with medicines such as Heparin (used for thinning of the blood), Clindamycin (an antibiotic), salicylic acid, Dipyridamole, Clopidogrel, Ticlopidine (used to stop platelet aggregation) and painkillers like Celecoxib as there is the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.Read less
- Medicines which may increase the anticoagulant action of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet are Allopurinol (to treat gout), Steroids, testosterone containing medicines, Amiodarone and Quinidine (to treat heart conditions), antibiotics, Tramadol (pain killer), Disulfiram (for alcohol dependence), Chlorpropamide and Glibenclamide (to treat diabetes), Antacids, Atorvastatin, Fluvastatin and Simvastatin (to treat cholesterol), Levothyroxine (to treat underactive thyroid gland), antiallergic medicines, and medicines used to reduce stomach acid production.Read less
- The anticoagulant effect of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet may be diminished, when taken along with medicines such as Mercaptopurine (to treat cancer), Phenobarbital and Carbamazepine (to treat fits), St John’s Wort (herbal medicine for depression), oral contraceptives, water pills like Furosemide (to treat blood pressure), Azathioprine (for organ transplantation) etc.Read less
- Other medicines such as Indinavir, Nelfinavir, Ritonavir (to treat HIV), Methylprednisolone should be taken cautiously.
Interactions with food items
Food containing a high amount of Vitamin K such as Spinach & broccoli should be avoided while using this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
- Store it in original packing to protect it from sunlight
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets
Dosage of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet
The symptoms of an overdose of Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet may include bleeding from gums, nose, heavy menstrual bleeding, joint pain, swelling, dizziness, sickness, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, etc. If you think you have taken too much of this medicine and experience any of such symptoms contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Do I need to take any precautions before taking Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet?
- Yes, you should be very careful while playing, shaving, cutting nails etc. as there is increased risk of bleeding.
- You need to inform your doctor immediately if you find bloodstains in your cough or stool.
Q: For how long do I need to take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet?
A: You are supposed to take Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet for the duration and doses as advised by your doctor. If you skip the dose or do not complete the course, it may decrease the effectiveness of the treatment. Also, it may increase the risk of getting conditions such as stroke or heart-related conditions etc.
Q: Why avoid leafy vegetables when on Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet?
A: Leafy vegetables such as spinach contain a high content of vitamin K, which can impact the effectiveness of this medicine. Thus, it should be avoided or taken in moderation. Do not change your diet drastically without consulting your doctor.
Q: Which vegetables should be avoided by patients taking Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet?
A: You do not have to completely stop taking following vegetables however broccoli and spinach which is rich in vitamin K should be taken in moderation to avoid abnormally high levels of vitamin K as it can affect the action of this medicine.
Q: What other food products should I avoid while taking Acitrom 0.5mg Tablet?
A: Avoid taking a high quantity of products containing garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, cranberry and vitamin E. If you are taking any supplements containing these substances, discuss with your doctor.
Other Products from this Brand
- Acitrom 2 Mg Strip Of 30 Tablets
- Acitrom 3 Mg Strip Of 30 Tablets
- Acitrom 1 Mg Strip Of 30 Tablets
- Acitrom 4 Mg Strip Of 30 Tablets
- Acitrom 2 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Acitrom 4 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Acitrom 3 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Acitrom 1 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Acitrom 4 Mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Acitrom 2 Mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Acitrom 3 Mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Acitrom 1 Mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Last Updated on: 17 Oct 2020 | 09:50 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% OFF + 20% Cashback on all medicines + Free 1-Month Grofers Smart Bachat Club Membership
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved