Secnidazole is an antibiotic which is effective to control anaerobic infections. This antibiotic treats only certain bacterial infections but does not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu).
Uses of Secnidazole
- Anaerobic infections such as-
- Intraperitoneal infections: peritonitis, abscess
- Gynaecological infections: endometritis, endomyometritis, ovarian tube abscess
- Bacterial septicaemia
- Postoperative wound infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Upper and lower respiratory tract infections: pneumonia, empyema, lung abscess
- Non-specific vaginitis
- Acute ulcerative gingivitis
- Urogenital trichomoniasis
- Intestinal amoebiasis
- Amoebic involvement of the liver
- Prophylaxis: The prevention of postoperative infections caused by anaerobic bacteria, especially those associated with colonic, gastrointestinal and gynaecological surgery
Contraindications of Secnidazole
When should one not use Secnidazole
Allergy to this medicine.
Side effects of Secnidazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Infrequently vaginal itching or discharge may occur
- Serious allergic reactions-including rash, itching, swelling
- Altered taste sensation
- Trouble in breathing
Precautions and Warnings of Secnidazole
Can I take Secnidazole during pregnancy?
It is not safe to take Secnidazole during pregnancy, especially in the first three months.
Can I take Secnidazole while breastfeeding?
It is advised to consult a doctor before taking this medicine as it is not considered safe for nursing mothers.
Can I drive if I have consumed Secnidazole?
You should not drive if you experience any discomfort after taking this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with Secnidazole?
Intake of alcohol while on Secnidazole treatment is to be strictly restricted as it may cause severe reactions.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Tell your doctor if-
- You notice any allergic reaction, rashes, swelling, etc. after taking this medicine
- You have a blood disorder or a history of blood disorders
- You have epilepsy
- You have taken alcohol recently
Mode of Action of Secnidazole
How Does It Work?
It is an antibiotic that treats infection by stopping the growth of anaerobic bacteria.
Interactions of Secnidazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Blood-thinning medicines
- Birth control pills
- Antibiotics (such as Rifampin, Rifabutin) can decrease their effectiveness
Interactions with food items
No relevant data found.
Dosage of Secnidazole
If you happen to take an overdose of this medicine, get immediate medical treatment.
Missed a Dose
If you missed a dose, try to follow the regular dose pattern. Do not take a double dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is this medicine an antibiotic?
A: Yes, this medicine is an antibiotic that combats bacteria. It is mainly effective against anaerobic bacterial infections.
Q: Is it safe to take Secnidazole during pregnancy?
A: It is not safe to take this medicine. Talk to your doctor and go for an alternative medication if needed to take during pregnancy.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
2 days agoLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Secnidazole
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved