Oxcarbazepine is an oral medicine used to treat a specific type of seizure, called partial seizure, in people who have epilepsy. It is an anticonvulsant or an antiepileptic medicine.
Uses of Oxcarbazepine
- Treat partial and complex partial seizures in patients with epilepsy
- Treatment of bipolar disorder (acts as a mood-stabilizing agent)
- Diabetic Neuropathic pain
- Neuralgia/ neuropathy
Contraindications of Oxcarbazepine
When should one not use Oxcarbazepine
- If known allergic to the Oxcarbazepine
- Patients with a history of atrioventricular block
Side effects of Oxcarbazepine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Change in vision
- Change in walking or balance
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- Cough, fever, sneezing or sore throat
- Double vision
- False sense of well-being
- Feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- Mental depression
- Sensation of spinning
- Uncontrolled back-and-forth or rolling eye movements
- Hyponatremia (low sodium levels)
- Due to low sodium levels in the blood include: frequent seizures, trouble in swallowing and breathing, severe muscle pain, unusual bruising or bleeding, panic attack, feeling agitated or restless
Precautions and Warnings of Oxcarbazepine
Can I take Oxcarbazepine during pregnancy?
It is essential to control epileptic seizures during pregnancy. However, there may be a risk to your baby if you take antiepileptic medicines during pregnancy. Your doctor will tell you the benefits and potential risks involved and help you to decide whether you should take Oxcarbazepine.
Can I take Oxcarbazepine while breastfeeding?
Oxcarbazepine passes into breast milk. This could cause side effects in breastfed babies. Ask your doctor for advice before taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Oxcarbazepine?
It may make you feel sleepy or dizzy or may cause blurred vision, double vision, lack of muscle coordination or a depressed level of consciousness, especially when starting treatment or increasing the dose. Do not drive when taking this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with Oxcarbazepine?
Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine as you will feel exhausted.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have kidney disease
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to Carbamazepine
- Birth control pills may not work while you are using Oxcarbazepine. To avoid pregnancy, use another form of birth control. Other types include condoms, a diaphragm or contraceptive foam or jelly
Mode of Action of Oxcarbazepine
How Does It Work?
This medicine stabilizes neuronal membranes by blocking Na+ channels and slows down the abnormal nerve impulses in the brain and thus helps treat epilepsy.
Interactions of Oxcarbazepine
Interactions with other medicines
- Anti-cancer medicines like Ibrutinib
- Antianginal like Ranolazine
- HIV medications like Tenofavir
- Hepatitis C medicine like Ritonavir
- Phenytoin, Phenobarbital, Carbamazepine, etc
Dietary Restrictions of Oxcarbazepine
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your regular diet.
Dosage of Oxcarbazepine
Call immediately to the doctor if you suspect an overdose. Symptoms of overdose are low levels of sodium in the blood, anger, agitation, being confused, drowsiness or sleepiness, dizziness, feeling sick (nausea), being sick (vomiting), tiredness, changes to your heart rhythm (fast, irregular heartbeat), shaking, seizures/ convulsions, headache, coma, loss of consciousness, uncontrolled twitching or jerking, double or blurred vision, narrowing of the pupil, low blood pressure, shortness of breath, an abnormal degree of muscular or bodily activity, lack of coordination of movements and uncontrolled eye movements.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your subsequent scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long the medicine stays in the body?
A: Half-life of medicine is 9-11 hours and can stay up to 18-22 hours in the body.
Q: Can I use this medicine in children?
A: Oxcarbazepine is not recommended for children under six years old since it is not a safe and effective treatment in this age group.
Q: What should I inform the doctor before taking this medicine?
- If you are allergic to this medicine
- If you have kidney or severe liver or heart problems
- If you are taking other medicines that can lower sodium levels in the blood (e.g. Diuretics, Desmopressin and Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as Indometacin)
- If you are using hormonal contraceptives
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Oxcarbazepine
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved