Metoprolol belongs to the class of medicine are called beta-blockers.
Uses of Metoprolol
It is used to treat chest pain (angina), heart failure and high blood pressure. Lowering high blood pressure helps kidney problems, prevent strokes, heart attacks. It is also used to avoid migraine.
Contraindications of Metoprolol
When should one not use Metoprolol
- It is not recommended in patients with severe liver disease, asthma, allergic reactions
- You have heart problems like heart blocks
- Untreated heart failure
- Slow heart rate or low blood pressure
Side effects of Metoprolol
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Side effects of Metoprolol with higher doses include dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue and diarrhea, stomach pain, constipation, headache, shortness of breath
- Can cause certain neuropsychological disturbances like unusual dreams, ataxia (loss of full control over body movements), sleeplessness, depression and vision problem
- Serious side effects include worsening of heart failure itself and excessive slowing of heart rate. Hence, the dosage has to be adjusted by the physician
- It can worsen diabetes
- Sexual dysfunction has been reported in a few cases
Precautions and Warnings of Metoprolol
Can I take Metoprolol during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, this medication should not be used unless prescribed by the physician. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Can I take Metoprolol while breastfeeding?
It is excreted into the mother’s milk. Hence, it is not safe during breastfeeding. Again, your doctor will prescribe it only if its benefit outweighs risk during breastfeeding.The infant needs close monitoring in such cases.
Can I drive if I have consumed Metoprolol?
Be cautious while driving as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
Can I consume alcohol with Metoprolol?
Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication as it may cause increased sleepiness or a drop in blood pressure.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You get allergic reactions
- If you have diabetes, caution is required
- Metoprolol may cause low blood sugar levels and also change the body’s response to low blood sugar. You may not experience warning signs of low blood sugar such as an increase in heart rate, sweating, hunger pangs, headache, etc.read less
- You have any heart problems or suffer from muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis), talk to the doctor before starting any dose of Propranolol
- You have kidney or liver problems (including cirrhosis of the liver)
- You have asthma or COPD
- You suffer from a heart conduction disorder (AV block)
- You have a type of chest pain (Prinzmetal’s angina)
Mode of Action of Metoprolol
How Does It Work?
They work by slowing the heart rate and relaxing blood vessels. Due to this, the heart doesn’t have to work hard to pump blood.
Interactions of Metoprolol
Interactions with other medicines
- Used to treat fits like Phenobarbital
- Used to treat heart problems like Amlodipine
- Medicines used to treat pain, fever-like Diclofenac
- Antidepressants like Fluoxetine
- Antipsychotic medicine
- Antiretroviral like Ritonavir
- Antihistamine like Diphenhydramine
- Medicine used in malaria such as Hydroxychloroquine
- Medicine used to treat any fungal infection
Interactions with food items
It has interactions with apple, grapefruit and orange juice; the usage of these fruits should be avoided.
Dietary Restrictions of Metoprolol
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Metoprolol, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Metoprolol
You must strictly avoid overdose as it may lead to fatal consequences. The immediate symptoms of overdose are lethargy, breathing disorders, wheezing (whistle-like sound from the chest), missing heartbeat, excessive slowing of pulses, swelling of the hands, feet, ankles or lower legs, shakiness, dizziness, sweating or confusion, blurred vision, headache, pale color, numbness or tingling of the mouth etc. Immediately seek emergency medical attention.
Missed a Dose
You missed any dose take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for a missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop this medicine on my own?
A: Do not suddenly discontinue taking a beta-blocker without talking to your doctor. If you stop a beta-blocker suddenly, you can suffer from chest pain, irregular heartbeat or heart attack. Your doctor might instruct you to decrease your dose gradually.
Q: What special precautions should I follow?
A: You experience any symptoms of dizziness, syncope, vision problems, sexual dysfunction, slowing of heart rate, etc. then immediately report to your doctor. The doctor can adjust your dose depending on your blood pressure, heart rate, level of the medicine in your serum and other such relevant factors.
Q: What should I tell my healthcare expert before I start taking Metoprolol?
A: You should give an account of your past or present diseases like liver, kidney or heart-related disorders, diabetes mellitus and thyroid disorders if any. You must inform your doctor about your ongoing prescription and non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbal medicines, etc. Women should share information about pregnancy status, use of oral birth control pills and other vital information like history of pregnancy-induced high blood pressure, if any.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
2 days agoLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Metoprolol
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved