Fluconazole belongs to a group of medicines called antifungal medicine, effective against various fungi and yeast.
Uses of Fluconazole
It is used to treat fungal infections like vaginal thrush (in women) and candidal balanitis (in men).
Contraindications of Fluconazole
When should one not use Fluconazole
- You are allergic to Fluconazole or any other medicines of its class
- If you have liver problems or jaundice
- If you have any heart disease (irregular heartbeat)
Side effects of Fluconazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Headache, vomiting, diarrhea, and rash
- Muscle pain
- Increased liver enzymes, liver damage
- Symptoms include fatigue, loss of appetite, vomiting, yellowing of your skin
- Rhythm defects in heart and seizures
Precautions and Warnings of Fluconazole
Can I take Fluconazole during pregnancy?
Fluconazole is unsafe during pregnancy. You should not take Fluconazole if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. During pregnancy, it may increase the risk of miscarriage, while large doses may cause severe birth defects.
Can I take Fluconazole while breastfeeding?
Fluconazole secretes in small quantities in human milk. It may be used in breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Fluconazole?
Caution is advised as Fluconazole may cause dizziness or fits. If you experience any of these, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Fluconazole?
No known interaction with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have liver or kidney disease
- If you have heart disorder of irregular rhythm
- If you have abnormal electrolyte levels (potassium, calcium or magnesium) in your blood
Mode of Action of Fluconazole
How Does It Work?
It blocks the formation of the cell membrane of the fungus by inhibiting an enzyme. Thus the fungi stop multiplying or die because of non-formation of the complete cell membrane. It is not effective against virus or bacteria.
Interactions of Fluconazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines for HIV like Saquinavir
- Oral contraceptives
- Medicines for high blood pressure like Nifedipine, Isradipine, Amlodipine, Felodipine and Losartan
- Antibiotics like Rifampicin, Rifabutine
- Blood thinners like Warfarin
- Medicines for anxiety, like Benzodiazepines (Midazolam, Triazolam)
- Medicines to control diabetes, like Chlorpropamide, Glibenclamide, Glipizide or Tolbutamide
- Medicines to treat fits, like Phenytoin, Carbamazepine
- Medicines to control asthma, like Theophylline
- Medicines for treating pain and inflammation, like Celecoxib, Flurbiprofen, Naproxen, Ibuprofenl
- Medicines used to treat depression, like Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline
- Medicines for fungal infections, like Amphotericin B, Voriconazole
- Medicines used for treating cancer like Vincristine, Vinblastine
- Medicines used for reducing high cholesterol level Atorvastatin, Simvastatin, and Fluvastatin
- Medicines used to treat irregular heartbeats like Amiodarone
Interactions with food items
It is advisable to take this medicine along with food as it increases heartburn if taken on an empty stomach.
Dosage of Fluconazole
Symptoms may include irregular heartbeat, fits, headache, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting. Immediately contact the physician.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose of Fluconazole, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosage schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking this drug?
A: Tell your doctor if you are sexually active and discuss effective contraception methods. Any other medical problems, along with other drugs consumed by you, should be discussed with your doctor.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Fluconazole
FLUCOS BOTTLE OF 100GM DUSTING POWDER
By OAKNET HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
100g Dusting Powder in Bottle
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved