Ofloxacin+Ornidazole is a combination medicine. It is used in adult patients to
treat diarrhoea due to mixed infections. Both ofloxacin and ornidazole belong to a group of medicines called antibiotics. Ofloxacin+Ornidazole is available in the form of tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, injection, infusion, oral powder. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
Ofloxacin+Ornidazole is used in adults for the treatment of diarrhoea due to mixed infection
Contraindications of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
When should one not use Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
If you are allergic to ofloxacin, ornidazole or similar medicines.
Side effects of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Urge to scratch
- Skin rash
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
Can I take ofloxacin+ornidazole during pregnancy?
Consult your doctor before using ofloxacin+ornidazole during pregnancy as limited safety information is available. Your doctor will prescribe it to you only if considered essential after assessing the benefits over risks.
Can I take ofloxacin+ornidazole while breastfeeding?
Consult your doctor before using ofloxacin+ornidazole while breastfeeding as limited data is available.
Can I drive if I have taken/used ofloxacin+ornidazole?
Avoid driving if you experience drowsiness or dizziness after taking ofloxacin+ornidazole
Can I consume alcohol with ofloxacin+ornidazole?
Avoid consuming alcohol with ofloxacin+ornidazole as it may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from any problems with your heart, liver
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You suffer from a condition causing muscle weakness
- You have diarrhoea
- You experience joint or muscle pain
- You experience some effects on the central nervous system (CNS) like nervousness, aggression, lack of sleep, anxiety, hallucinations, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.
- You are suffering from Peripheral neuropathy (when the message-carrying capacity of nerve, to and from the brain and spinal cord from and to the rest of the body are damaged) like burning, tingling, numbness, pain, etc....
- You have clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea (CDAD)
- You experience adverse reactions like inflammation of tendon or tendon Rupture (a tendon separates in whole or in part from tissue to which it is attached).
- You may feel adverse reactions like fever, rashes, jaundice, allergic pneumonitis, difficulty in swallowing, swelling on the face, lips, tongue, throat, fast heartbeat or any other allergic reactions.
- You experience sensitivity to light on exposure to natural or artificial sunlight.
Mode of Action of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
How Does It Work?
- Ofloxacin works by inhibiting the enzyme synthesis responsible for bacterial DNA replication. Hence, it shows the bactericidal effect.
- Ornidazole works by destructing the DNA helical structure, which interrupts the protein synthesis and ultimately leads to the death of bacteria.
Interactions of Ofloxacin+Ornidazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way ofloxacin+ornidazole works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat your psychiatric illnesses, diabetes, gout, asthma, fits, acidity, pain and inflammation or are taking blood thinners, muscle relaxants, antacids, painkillers....
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is Ofloxacin+Ornidazole used for?
A: Ofloxacin+Ornidazole is used to treat diarrhoea due to mixed infection in adult patients.
Q: In which all dosage forms is Ofloxacin+Ornidazole available?
A: Ofloxacin+Ornidazole is available in the form of tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, injection, infusion, oral powder.
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.