Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaifenesin is used for the treatment of cough with mucu
s (phlegm). It helps in releasing the mucus from the windpipe, nose or lungs and improves the symptoms like chest tightness, breathing difficulty, wheezing and coughing. Guaifenesin (or guaiphenesin) is an expectorant, terbutaline is a bronchodilator while bromhexine is a mucolytic agent. Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaifenesin is available in the form of a tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, oral drops and oral liquid. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
Contraindications of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
When should one not use Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
- If you are allergic to bromhexine, terbutaline, guaifenesin or similar medicines.
- If you have ulcers in the stomach or intestine.
- If you use other cough medicines which inhibits the cough reflex (like codeine).
Side effects of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Loss of appetite
Precautions and Warnings of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
Other General Warnings
- You are having any heart problems like irregular heartbeats or angina
- You are having any liver or kidney problems
- You are having diabetes mellites
- You are having epilepsy or fits
- You are having stomach or intestinal ulcers
- You are having an overactive thyroid gland
- You are having a feeling of weakness
- You are having asthma or mechanical narrowing of the lumen of the windpipe.
- You are having any symptoms related to hypersensitivity reactions.
- You are having pregnancy or any problem related to pregnancy.
- You are addicted to alcohol
- Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaifenesin is not recommended for use in children below 12 years of age.
Mode of Action of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
How Does It Work?
- Guaifenesin is an expectorant group of medicine, decreases the stickiness of mucus to the windpipe and lungs.
- Bromhexine is a mucolytic group of medicine, which decreases the consistency of mucus and makes it thin and loosens it. So, it becomes easier for patients to cough it out.
- Terbutaline is a bronchodilator medicine, relaxes the muscles of the windpipe so breathing becomes easy.
Interactions of Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaiphenesin / Guaifenesin
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way bromhexine+terbutaline+guaifenesin works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines to treat your heart problems, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), glaucoma or are taking steroids, water pills, antibiotics.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaifenesin available?
Q: Does Bromhexine+Terbutaline+Guaifenesin cause headache?
- Robitussin Chesty Cough Medicine - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]
- Robitussin Chesty Cough Medicine - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]
- Bricanyl Tablets 5mg - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]