Vilamid 20mg Tablet
Vilamid 20 MG Description
Vilamid tablet is a prescription medication mainly used to manage the symptoms of major depressive disorder (MDD). Vilazodone is the active ingredient in Vilamid tablets. It is a type of antidepressa
nt medicine. This medication is approved for use only in adults over 18. Its safety level is not established in children and adolescents. The mode of action of Vilamid tablets is by increasing certain chemical substances in the brain and reducing the excess activity of the nerve cells, elevating the mood, increasing energy, reducing nervousness, etc. It produces a calming effect and sedation. Nausea, confusion, sleepiness, etc., are some of the side effects of Vilamid tablets. Try to follow the precise dosage of Vilamid tablets as advised by your doctor. Even though it does not result in physical dependency, this medicine can cause psychological dependency if taken for a long time. Vilamid tablets can cause suicidal thoughts in young adults from age 18 to 25, so they must be carefully monitored. It is vital to inform the doctor of the user’s medical history and any medications that are currently taken or to be taken.
|You Save||₹29.25 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Anxiety, Major depressive disorder, Panic disorder|
|Side effects||Delayed ejaculation, Memory problems, Confusion, Drowsiness, Weight gain, Loss of appetite, Change in sexual desire|
Uses of Vilamid 20 MG
- As per CDSCO, Vilamid tablet is used for the following:
- In managing symptoms of major depressive disorder (persistent feeling of sadness, loneliness, and loss of interest in life) in adults
Contraindications of Vilamid 20 MG
- If you have any allergic reaction to Vilazodone or any of the components of this medicine
- If you are noticing a sudden change in the mood or suicidal thoughts
- If you use other anti-anxiety medicines or sedatives, they can interfere with Vilamid tablets and cause adverse reactions
- If you have a known history of alcohol or recreational drug addiction or a mental health disorder
- If you have a seizure disorder and are currently on antiepileptic (anti-seizure) medication
- If you were diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had manic episodes
- If you have severe liver disease
- If you are diagnosed with angle-closure glaucoma (an eye condition that causes high fluid pressure inside the eye)
Side effects of Vilamid 20 MG
- Changes in sexual drive
Precautions and Warnings of Vilamid 20 MG
Other General Warnings
- You experience changes in your sexual desires after taking Vilamid tablets
- You have low sodium levels in the blood
- You use any Ayurvedic and herbal medicines (St John’s Wort) or take vitamins and supplements; these can interact with Vilamid tablets and cause serious side effects
- You are an older adult over 65. The effects of this medicine are exaggerated in older persons and must be used with caution
- You are planning to have surgery or a dental procedure
- You recently had a heart attack or stroke
- You have high blood pressure
- You have been diagnosed with respiratory or lung disease
- You have kidney disorders. While Vilamid Tablet can be safe, consult a doctor as side effects of this medicine increase in end-stage kidney failure
- You are a child or adolescent under 18
Mode of Action of Vilamid 20 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Vilamid 20 MG
- Take Vilamid tablets precisely in the dose and duration prescribed by the doctor
- Try not to take more than the advised dose of Vilamid tablet, even if you cannot notice its effects
- Try to swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water. Do not break or chew it
- Do not take the tablets with other medications without informing your doctor
- Do not use these tablets if their packaging is damaged
- Do not suddenly stop using Vilamid tablets
- Vilamid tablets can be taken with or without food. In case of any stomach issues, take it after a meal
Interactions of Vilamid 20 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Antiepileptic medicines for seizure disorders can increase the side effects of Vilamid tablets
- Certain anti-anxiety and mood disorder medicines like (linezolid, moclobemide, selegiline, etc.) combined with the Vilamid tablet can cause severe reactions. They inhibit serotonin metabolism and can result in serotonin levels high enough to produce heart and neurotoxic serotonin syndrome...
- If you have bleeding issues or take blood thinners, use Vilamid tablets with caution as this medicine may increase the risk of bleeding
- Combining other antidepressant medicines similar to Vilamid tablets like fluoxetine, paroxetine etc. with Vilamid Tablet can raise serotonin levels and lead to serotonin toxicity with life-threatening side effects...
- It is contraindicated to use Vilamid tablets along with antibiotics or intravenous methylene blue
- Do not take other medicines that cause drowsiness, such as allergy, cold and cough medicine, opiates, or narcotic pain relievers with Vilamid tablets. These medicines can increase the side effects of Vilamid tablets and cause extreme drowsiness...
Interactions with food items
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice, as this fruit can worsen the side effects of Vilamid tablets.
- Avoid coffee and caffeine products, chocolates and desserts; these foods can increase serotonin levels and cause serotonin toxicity. High levels of serotonin can cause severe side effects.
Storage and disposal of Vilamid 20 MG
Dosage of Vilamid 20 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Will I see any changes in my appetite after using Vilamid tablets every day?
Q: Can we give Vilamid tablets to a child with depression?
Q: Can I use Vilamid tablets if I used to get treatment for bipolar disorder?
- VIIBRYD (vilazodone hydrochloride) tablets, for oral use. Initial U.S. Approval: 2011. Accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 2022 Mar 4] - Available from:
- Vilazodone: Medlineplus drug information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Mar 4]. Available from
- Wang S-M, Han C, Lee S-J, Patkar AA, Masand PS, Pae C-U. Vilazodone for the treatment of depression: An update [Internet]. Chonnam medical journal. Chonnam National University Medical School; 2016 [cited 2022 Mar 4]. Available from:
- Vilazodone [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 4]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Mar 4] - Available from: