Sarotena 10mg Tablet
Sarotena 10 MG Description
Sarotena 10mg tablet is primarily used to treat mood problems such as depression. The medicine has Amitriptyline as its main ingredient. Amitriptyline belongs to the class of medication known as Anti
depressants. Depression is a common and serious medical illness. Antidepressants are those medications that balance certain chemicals in the brain, which may improve your mood and feelings and help you sleep better. Sarotena 10mg tab should only be taken on recommendation by a psychiatrist. These tablets should be taken with caution and observation for side effects. A regular visit to your psychiatrist is important so that your doctor may change the dose of the medicine as per need. Disclaimer: If you observe any of the following symptoms, then an immediate visit to a psychiatrist is advised: Loss of interest in activities Suicidal thoughts Sleep and appetite changes Feeling worthless or guilty Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions.
|Uses||Depression, Neuralgic pain, migraines|
|Side effects||Constipation Pain in the abdomen Palpitations (awareness of one's heartbeats) Sedation Precipitation of fits Postural hypotension (lowered blood pressure on change in position).|
Uses of Sarotena 10 MG
- Sarotena 10mg tablets are mainly used to treat a major depressive disorder. It uplifts your mood and feelings, helps you sleep better, and makes you energetic.
- Amitriptyline helps treat pain at lower doses. It is also helpful in the treatment of
- Nerve pain (neuralgia) and back pain.
- To help prevent migraine attacks.
Contraindications of Sarotena 10 MG
- Sarotena 10mg tablets should not be taken if you have:
- Allergy to amitriptyline or any of its excipients
- If you have heart problems
- If you have severe liver diseases
- If you have severe kidney diseases
- If you have a history of seizures (fits)
- If you are suffering from glaucoma (eye-related problem)
Side effects of Sarotena 10 MG
- Sarotena 10mg tablets should be used with caution, and a careful observation for side effects is must to prevent the adverse effects.
- Some of the side effects observed with Sarotena 10mg are:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Palpitations (awareness of one's heartbeats)
- Sweating and fine tremors
- Precipitation of fits
Precautions and Warnings of Sarotena 10 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have diabetes as Amitriptyline may change your blood sugar levels. So regular check of blood glucose levels is recommended in people with diabetes who are on this medication.
- You observe any new or worsening symptoms while using the Sarotena 10mg tablet.
- You should observe any mood or behaviour changes, anxiety, panic attacks, changes in sleep, aggressive behaviour, restlessness, increased depression etc.
- Consult your psychiatrist immediately if you observe any of the above changes.
- You should provide complete information on your disease history to your physician.
- You should inform your physician if you are pregnant and/ breastfeeding to avoid risks.
- You should not stop using Sarotena 10mg tablets suddenly without consulting your physician. It may lead to withdrawal symptoms like malaise, chills, muscle pain etc.
- You should inform your doctor about your disease history, like liver diseases, kidney diseases, lung-related diseases etc.
- You should inform your doctor about your treatment history so that he can prescribe the medicine in appropriate doses.
- You should have regular checkups with liver function tests if you have any history of liver diseases.
Mode of Action of Sarotena 10 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Sarotena 10 MG
- Take Sarotena 10mg tablets exactly as prescribed by your physician.
- Do Not exceed the dosage or do not miss the dose.
- Do not discontinue the medication until the completion of the course as directed by your physician, even if the symptoms disappear.
- Take the tablet as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break this tablet or chew it.
- It is better to take the tablet at the same time of the day. It is advised to note down the time immediately after taking medicine to avoid missing the doses or overdosing.
- It is advised to take the tablet in the evening or before you go to bed. This is because it can make you sleepy.
Interactions of Sarotena 10 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Sarotena 10mg tablets can interact with many groups of medications. So it is necessary to inform your doctor about your treatment history so that your doctor can prescribe the appropriate medication in the appropriate dose....
- Sarotena 10mg tablet can show interactions with:
- Adrenaline containing local anaesthetics
- Ephedrine, Tyramine - their action may be attenuated.
- The ability of medications like Guanethidine and clonidine to control blood pressure may be lost.
- Sedative medications like Benzodiazepines like diazepam, nitrazepam etc.
- Antiepileptic medications (to control fits) like Phenytoin, Phenylbutazone and medications like Aspirin can cause transient overdose symptoms of Amitriptyline when taken together.
- Phenobarbitone and Carbamazepine, which are used in the treatment of fits, can induce the metabolism of Amitriptyline.
- One of the important interactions is observed with MAO inhibitor medications like Isocarboxazid, phenelzine, metaxalone, which may be used to treat depression. Dangerous hypertensive crisis (elevated blood pressure) and hallucinations may be observed. At Least 14 days gap must be present between the use of these medications is needed....
- Can interact with thyroid supplements etc.
- Can interact with blood thinners like warfarin, antiplatelet medications like clopidogrel etc.
- Sarotena 10mg tablets should not be used with other antidepressant medications.
Interactions with food items
- Sarotena 10mg can be taken with or without food. Vitamin and herbal supplements may not be taken as they show any interactions.
Storage and disposal of Sarotena 10 MG
Dosage of Sarotena 10 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)