Razel 20mg Tablet
By GLENMARK PHARMACEUTICALS
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
The composition of Razel 20mg Tab is Rosuvastatin which is a dyslipidaemic agent. It is a lipid-regulating medicine used to treat high cholesterol and related conditions, and to prevent cardiovascular disease.
Uses of Razel 20mg Tab
It is used in patients with high cholesterol levels, heart disease and high blood pressure. It is known to prevent stroke and reduce the risk of heart attack.
Contraindications of Razel 20mg Tab
- Severe renal impairment
- Active liver disease
- Unexplained persistent elevations of serum transaminases
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Side effects of Razel 20mg Tab
- Headache, stomach pain, dizziness, heartburn, constipation and nausea
- Myopathy, which can manifest in the form of muscle ache, lethargy and fever. The patient should immediately report to the treating physician if any signs of blood in the urine along with muscle pain is observedread less
- It can cause jaundice and elevated liver enzymes. Liver function tests have to be monitored
- Abnormal muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) - It is a condition with severe muscle pain, soreness and may be accompanied by fever. This can be serious as it is associated with breakdown of muscles leading to acute kidney failure. Promptly report to your doctor if you find dark coloured urine, fever, muscle painread less
Precautions and Warnings of Razel 20mg Tab
Can I take this medicine during pregnancy?
This medicine should not be taken if you are pregnant or if you are planning a pregnancy. Taking Rosuvastatin in pregnancy can be harmful to foetus. Women of child bearing age should use an effective contraceptive while using this medicine.
Can I take Razel 20mg Tab while breastfeeding?
Small amount of this medicine passes into breast milk. Limited data is available on the safety about Rosuvastatin during breast feeding. It is unsafe to consume this medicine if you are planning to breastfeed the baby. Please consult your physician.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
Most people can drive a car and operate machinery while using rosuvastatin, it will not affect their ability. However, some people feel dizzy during treatment with rosuvastatin. If you feel dizzy, consult your doctor before attempting to drive or use machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Razel 20mg Tab?
Alcohol intake should be reduced while on this medicine, which otherwise can lead to liver damage.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you are taking or have taken a medicine called fusidic acid, (a medicine for bacterial infection) in the last 7 days you should inform your doctor. Fusidic acid and atorvastatin should not be taken together as that may lead to serious muscle problemsread less
- You should also inform the doctor if you have kidney problems, muscle aches or pains or family history of muscle problems, you had muscular problems during treatment with other cholesterol-lowering medicines in the past, or if you regularly drink a large amount of alcoholread less
Mode of Action of Razel 20mg Tab
How Does It Work?
Cholesterol is made by an enzyme HMG-CoA reductase. Rosuvastatin is a selective and competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase. It inhibits this enzyme thus, lowering cholesterol and bad cholesterol (LDL levels). It increases the good cholesterol also known as high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels.
Directions for Use of Razel 20mg Tab
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Razel 20mg Tab may be taken with or without food but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
Interactions of Razel 20mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Increased risk of myopathy, when used with other lipid-lowering agents. Monitor lipid levels to ensure lowest necessary dose of rosuvastatin is used when given along with amiodarone, diltiazem, or verapamilread less
- Many medicines like cyclosporin, warfarin, oral contraceptive pills, itraconazole, ketoconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin and HIV protease inhibitors have important interactions reducing the levels of statinsread less
- After taking Rosuvastatin within two hours any antacids like aluminium hydroxide should not be taken
- Rosuvastatin should not be taken along with Fusidic acid or within 7 days of stopping Fusidic acid as it will lead to the serious side effect of muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
Interactions with food items
Limit intake of grapefruit juice to very small quantities.
Other general Interactions
There is no any information available about any interaction with other conditions with this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Razel 20mg Tab
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children
- This medicinal product does not require any special temperature storage conditions
- Store in the original package in order to protect from light
Dosage of Razel 20mg Tab
Although, no particular side effects of overdose of rosuvastatin are known, one must avoid overdose of any medicine. However, the usual side effects of rosuvastatin may be seen in case of an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. However, do not take 2 doses of rosuvastatin within 12 hours of each other.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Razel 20mg Tab cause high blood sugar?
A: Regular use of statins, a group of mediines used to treat high cholesterol, can cause as much as a 12% increase in blood sugar levels.
Q: Which is better atorvastatin or rosuvastatin?
A: Study shows both cholesterol-lowering medicines are equally safe and effective. Although rosuvastatin may help decrease LDL cholesterol better than atorvastatin, this may not be an important difference in terms of improved outcomes and slower disease progression.
Q: Does this medicine make you tired?
A: It has been observed that people taking statins reported increased levels of general fatigue and tiredness, especially after exertion. Statins may cause you to feel tired because they play a role in decreasing the amount of energy provided to the cells in your muscles.
Q: Can I take Razel 20mg Tab with Aspirin?
A: No interactions were found between aspirin and rosuvastatin. This does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.
Q: Can you stop taking statins once you start?
A: Statins are very successful at lowering cholesterol, but they work as long as you're taking them. Therefore, most people who begin taking a statin medication are likely to take it for the rest of their lives.
Other Variants for
Razel 20mg Tab
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved