Pth 30mg Tablet
By INTAS PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
PTH tablet contains medicine known as Cinacalcet. Cinacalcet belongs to the class of medicines known as Calcimimetics i.e. these medicines mimic the action of calcium in the body. This medicine is used in a condition known as hyperparathyroidism. The condition occurs when the levels of a hormone known as a parathyroid hormone in our body increase. Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to it or having low calcium levels. Nausea and vomiting are the most common side effects which are mild and don’t last long. If you experience symptoms like severe hypersensitivity, numbness or tingling around the mouth, muscle aches or cramps and seizures, rush to the nearby hospital as early as possible. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to have a baby.
Uses of Pth 30mg Tablet
- For the treatment of increasing blood levels of parathyroid hormone (secondary hyperparathyroidism) associated with serious kidney disease.
- For decreasing high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia) associated with parathyroid gland cancer or in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism when removal of the gland is not possible.read less
- It is also used in children aged 3 years to 18 years to treat secondary hyperparathyroidism with kidney problems who need dialysis, whose condition cannot be controlled with other treatments.
Contraindications of Pth 30mg Tablet
If you have a history of allergy (severe skin rashes with itching and blistering, swelling of lips, tongue, face and eyelids, difficulty in breathing and swallowing). If you have low calcium levels in the blood.
Side effects of Pth 30mg Tablet
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of energy
- Lowering of blood pressure
- Muscle spasms
- Reduced Calcium levels.
Precautions and Warnings of Pth 30mg Tablet
Can I take Cinacalcet during pregnancy?
The safety of this medicine in pregnant women is not established yet. Hence, it is advisable to always consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby. After careful assessment, your doctor may prescribe you this medicine.
Can I take Cinacalcet while breastfeeding?
The safety of Cinacalcet in breastfeeding mother is not established so consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding your baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Cinacalcet?
This medicine may produce dizziness and seizures (fits) so it is advisable to not drive or use heavy machinery during treatment with Cinacalcet, which may become fatal sometimes.
Can I consume alcohol with Cinacalcet?
Chances of dizziness increases if you take this medicine with alcohol. Hence, avoid using this medicine with alcohol
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience episodes of Fits (convulsions), as the chances of having fits during treatment get higher if you are having previous episodes.
- You have liver problems.
- You have heart problems (pumping problems, heart rhythm problems), taking medicines for heart rhythm problems.
- You have a habit of smoking or have stopped smoking while using this medicine.
- You feel symptoms like, spasms, twitches, or cramps in your muscles, numbness or tingling in your fingers, toes or around your mouth or seizures, confusion or loss of consciousness, unusually fast or pounding heartbeats during Cinacalcet therapy, tell your doctor immediately. Cinacalcet decreases the blood calcium levels which may produce such symptoms (hypocalcaemia), especially in children and adults.read less
- Your doctor may advice frequent blood test monitoring before and during the treatment.
- Children under the age of 18 with parathyroid cancer or primary hyperparathyroidism must not take cinacalcet.
- Cinacalcet tablet sometime contains lactose monohydrate. So, if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, ask your doctor before taking this medicine.
Mode of Action of Pth 30mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
In the neck region of our body, near the thyroid gland, four small glands are situated, called parathyroid gland. Their main function is to secrete the parathyroid hormone, which controls the levels of calcium and phosphorus in the body. In a condition called hyperparathyroidism, too much parathyroid hormone gets produced. In primary hyperparathyroidism the cause is unknown. While in secondary hyperparathyroidism is due to a problem with the kidney. In both cases, there is a loss of calcium in the bones, which leads to bone pain, fractures, problems associated with blood and heart vessels, kidney stones, mental illness and sometimes coma. Cinacalcet is a calcimimetic (mimics the action of calcium in the body) medicine, which helps in maintaining the levels of parathyroid hormone and eventually improves the symptoms associated with hyperparathyroidism.
Directions for Use of Pth 30mg Tablet
- Take medicine as a whole with a sufficient amount of water.
- Do not break or chew the medicine.
- Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you.
- If you are taking it once a day, always take this medicine at the same time.
- Even after improvement of symptoms continue taking this medicine for the period your doctor has prescribed to control the symptoms and as preventive measures.
Interactions of Pth 30mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant use of medicines such as ketoconazole, itraconazole and voriconazole (medicines used to treat skin and fungal infections), Telithromycin, rifampicin and ciprofloxacin (medicines used to treat bacterial infections) and Ritonavir (a medicine used to treat HIV infection and AIDS) can increase the effect of this medicine and the risk of side effects increases.read less
- The effect of this medicine is altered when used together with Fluvoxamine, amitriptyline, desipramine, nortriptyline and clomipramine ( medicines used to treat mental illness).
- The effect of Dextromethorphan (a medicine used to relieve cough) was increased when used concomitantly with this medicine. Hence this combination should be avoided.
- The effect of Flecainide and Propafenone (medicines used to treat changes in heart rate) and Metoprolol (a medicine used to treat high blood pressure) is altered when used together with this medicine.read less
- The use of Cinacalcet immediately after the use of etelcalcetide (used in secondary hyperparathyroidism) should be avoided.
- Tell your doctor about any of the other medicine you are taking which includes medicine without prescription and herbal medicines as well as these medicines may alter the effectiveness of Cinacalcet or increase the chances of side effects.read less
Interactions with food items
- Cinacalcet should be taken with or shortly after food.
Storage and disposal of Pth 30mg Tablet
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date. Store below 30°C in the original package. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.
Dosage of Pth 30mg Tablet
- Take this medicine in dose exactly prescribed by your doctor. Overdose may increase the side effect of this medicine. Possible signs of overdose are numbness or tingling around the mouth, muscle aches or cramps and seizures (fits). If you feel any of the above symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.read less
Missed a Dose
If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is nearly time for the next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is Cinacalcet?
A: This medicine helps in maintaining the levels of parathyroid hormone and eventually improves the symptoms associated with hyperparathyroidism.
Q: What is the use of Cinacalcet?
- It is used in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism (increase blood levels of parathyroid hormone) associated with serious kidney disease or parathyroid gland cancer or in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism when removal of the gland is not possible.read less
- It is also used in children aged 3 years to 18 years to treat secondary hyperparathyroidism with kidney problems who need dialysis (process to clear out their blood waste products), whose condition cannot be controlled with other treatments.read less
Q: Is Cinacalcet and Paricalcitol both same?
- No. Cinacalcet is a calcimimetic medicine (mimics the action of calcium in the body). Paricalcitol is a man-made form of vitamin D.
Last Updated on: 03 Mar 2021 | 11:18 AM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
Upto Rs.600 cashback on Paytm wallet + Flat 25% off on your first medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved