Omez 40mg Tablet
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
This medicine belongs to the group of proton pump inhibitors (antacid) that decrease acid production in the stomach. It is used for treating acid-related diseases in the stomach and intestines. The generic name of Omez 40mg Tab is Omeprazole.
Uses of Omez 40mg Tab
- Omez 40mg Tab uses are for treating stomach ulcer; ulcer in the first part of intestine; symptoms like heartburn, acid regurgitation associated to gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. It is also used to prevent upper gastric bleedingread less
- and a peculiar infection of the stomach called Helicobacter pylori infection. In this condition, it is used along with antibiotics. Excess acid production in the stomach caused by a growth in the pancreas (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome).read less
Contraindications of Omez 40mg Tab
- If you have allergic reaction to omeprazole or other proton pump inhibitors.
- If you are suffering from chronic heart failure.
- If you have reduced calcium and magnesium levels.
- If you have liver diseases.
- If you are anti-HIV medications like nelfinavir.
- If you have or are suspected to or have stomach cancer.
Side effects of Omez 40mg Tab
Omez 40mg Tab side effects include headache, constipation, diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea or vomiting, itching and rashes due to allergy, difficulty in breathing, irregular heartbeat, fatigue, increased risk of infections on long-term use, sleep disturbance, changes in tastes, low levels of sodium in the blood (rare)), pain in joints (arthralgia) or muscle pains (myalgia) and hair loss (alopecia) (rare).
Precautions and Warnings of Omez 40mg Tab
Can I take Omez 40mg Tab during pregnancy?
There is no adequate information about the use of this medicine in pregnant women. If you are pregnant, you should use this medicine only if your doctor considers the benefit for you to be greater than the potential risks for your unborn baby.
Can I take Omez 40mg Tab while breastfeeding?
Omez 40mg Tab is known to pass into breast milk. However, when taken at normal doses (20 mg daily), it is not likely to have any harmful effects on a nursing infant. It can be used by women who are breastfeeding, after a proper consultation from the doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
This medicine seldom affect your ability to drive. Side effects such as dizziness and visual disturbances may occur. If you experience these symptoms, avoid driving until they subside.
Can I consume alcohol with this medicine?
No interaction between alcohol and Omez 40mg Tab has been reported. However, alcohol is known to increase acidity and can further worsen your acidity.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have liver issues, you should avoid its medication.
- If you begin to vomit food or blood while taking this medicine or you pass black stools (blood-stained faeces), you should stop its medication.
- Severe diarrhoea warning: this drug may increase your risk of severe diarrhoea. If you are experiencing severe or persistent diarrhoea, immediately stop taking the medicine and see your doctor.
- Bone fractures warning: people who take several doses of a proton pump inhibitor drug, such as omeprazole, every day for a year or longer, may have an increased risk of bone fractures.
- If you develop a rash on your skin, especially in areas that are exposed to the sun, tell your doctor as soon as you can.
- Low magnesium levels warning: use of this medicine for three months or longer may cause low magnesium levels in your body. If you have been taking this medicine for more than a year, get your serum electrolytes and magnesium levels tested.read less
Mode of Action of Omez 40mg Tab
How Does It Work?
A pump called the proton pump in the stomach is responsible for the secretion of stomach acids. Pantoprazole binds to this proton pump in stomach cells, thus blocking secretion of acids. Therefore, it is used in conditions where there is excessive acidity.
Directions for Use of Omez 40mg Tab
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. It is recommended that you take your medicine in the morning with an empty stomach. Swallow (not crush or chew) your tablet whole with half a glass of water.
Interactions of Omez 40mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- It may interact with medicines such as warfarin, clopidogrel, digoxin, cyclosporine, phenytoin, ketoconazole, voriconazole and iron supplements
- Medicines prescribed to patients with HIV (such as nelfinavir/tenofovir/atazanavir, rilpivirine etc.) and medicines like methotrexate and erlotinib are known to show interactions with Omez 40mg Tab.
Interactions with food items
There are no known interactions with food or beverages. However, nicotine, caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate and cola) and alcohol can stimulate stomach acid or delay ulcer healing and hinder the treatment process.
Other general Interactions
There is no relevant information available for this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Omez 40mg Tab
The medicine in a closed container/package at room temperature away from heat, moisture, direct light and the reach of children. Do not keep or use outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed. Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Dosage of Omez 40mg Tab
Omez 40mg Tab overdose causes confusion, drowsiness, blurred vision, rapid heartbeat, nausea or vomiting, sweating, flushing (sudden rushing feeling of warmth), headache, dry mouth. Immediate medical attention is advised in case of overdose.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose should be taken as soon as you recall it. However, if it is time for upcoming dose, then the missed dose should be skipped and the scheduled regular dosing should be taken. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I tell my healthcare provider before starting this medication?
A: There are studies that link omeprazole to stomach cancer. Therefore, it is important to share if you have any personal or family history of stomach cancer. It is also important for you to share information on history of HIV or AIDS, liver cirrhosis or other critical conditions that you are suffering from. Also, disclose all the ongoing medications or supplements that you are taking to your doctor .
Q: What is best time to take this medicine?
A: It is recommended that you take your medicine in the morning with an empty stomach.
Q: Is it ok to take Omez 40mg Tab for a long time?
A: This medicine only controls acid production in the stomach and does not affect the acid/alkaline balance of the body. The drug has been in use for some for years and appears to be safe for a long-term use. Most of the diseases that Omez 40mg Tab is prescribed for (e.g. ulcers, esophagitis) take longer than two weeks for their remediation.
Q: Can I drink coffee with Omez 40mg Tab?
A: Your doctor may advise you to limit the number of drinks which contain caffeine, such as coffee, tea, cocoa and cola drinks because they contain ingredients that may irritate your stomach. Hence, eat smaller and more frequent meals.
Q: Can I take this medicine with antibiotics?
A: Yes, it can be taken along with the antibiotics if your doctor has prescribed it to you. This medicine is also given together with antibiotics (usually clarithromycin plus metronidazole or amoxicillin) to help eradicate a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori from the stomach of people with a duodenal ulcer or inflammation of the stomach (gastritis).
- Healthline. Omeprazole, oral capsule.
- Package Leaflet: information for the user. Losec MUPS 10 mg gastro-resistant tablets. Losec MUPS 20 mg gastro-resistant tablets. Losec MUPS 40 mg gastro-resistant tablets
- DailyMed. Label: Omeprazole – omeprazole capsule
- electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC). Omeprazole 10 mg and 20 mg gastro-resistant capsules.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet].
Other Variants for
Omez 40mg Tab
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 08:21 AM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved