Milixim O Tablets
Milixim O Tablets Description
The Milixim-O tablet is used to treat typhoid fever and urinary tract infection in adults. It is an antibiotic medicine. It is a combination medicine containing cefixime and ofloxacin. It works by in
hibiting the growth of causative organisms. Take the Milixim-O in the prescribed dose and for the prescribed duration and never miss or skip a dose. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly, as it can result in treatment failure and increase the risk of reinfection. You can take this medicine with or without food. The Milixim-O tablet should not be taken by children below 18 years of age. Inform your doctor if you have any medical conditions and are on any other medications.
Uses of Milixim O Tablets
Contraindications of Milixim O Tablets
- If you are allergic to cefixime, ofloxacin, cephalosporins like cefuroxime, fluoroquinolones like ciprofloxacin or any other ingredients of Milixim-O tablet.
- If you have a history of fits or any brain-related disorders.
- If you have a history of tendon disorder.
- If you have a family history of red blood cell disorder (defects in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity).
- If you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Side effects of Milixim O Tablets
- Stomach pain
Precautions and Warnings of Milixim O Tablets
Other General Warnings
- You experience allergic reactions including serious skin allergies in different body parts (fluid-filled blisters, bumps, rashes and skin degradation).
- You have diarrhoea, cramps, pain and fever after taking this medicine.
- You have a kidney problem and you are on dialysis.
- You have blood disorders like anaemia and inherited blood disorder (G6PD deficiency).
- You have problems related to the liver and kidney and you are taking medicine to prevent blood clotting.
- You have a history of tendonitis (inflammation of the tissue which connects muscles to the bone) after taking antibiotics or myasthenia gravis.
- You are experiencing fits, difficulty in movement, confusion, other mental disorders (Psychosis).
- You are experiencing pain, a pins-and-needles sensation, numbness and weakness in various body parts.
- You experience suicidal thoughts. Immediately contact your doctor.
- You are experiencing irregular heartbeats, have low potassium levels or have had heart disease.
- You are diabetic taking medicines. Close monitoring of blood glucose may be needed.
- You are experiencing vision disturbances.
- Milixim-O tablets should not be given to children or growing adolescents.
Mode of Action of Milixim O Tablets
How Does It Work?
- Milixim O tablet works by the combined action of both its components - ofloxacin and cefixime.
- Cefixime works by inhibiting the formation of the bacterial cell wall, an essential component of bacteria to survive within the human body.
- Ofloxacin works by inhibiting the multiplication of the bacteria, stopping the growth.
Directions for Use of Milixim O Tablets
Interactions of Milixim O Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Milixim-O tablet should be taken at least two hours before taking the acidity medicines, any preparations containing zinc and iron and certain anti-HIV drugs like Didanosine.
- The risk of getting fits increase if you are taking medicines to treat asthma-like theophylline, to reduce inflammation (Ibuprofen).
- Should be used with caution if you are taking medicines that can alter your heart rhythms like Quinidine, Hydroquinidine, Disopyramide, antidepressants like Clomipramine, Amitriptyline, antibiotics like Erythromycin, Clarithromycin and Azithromycin....
- You may experience low blood sugar if you are taking any medicines for diabetes like Glibenclamide.
- This medicine interferes with the working of blood-thinning medicines like Warfarin.
- You may experience a tendon rupture if you are taking any medicines used to treat inflammation and pain (corticosteroids) like betamethasone, prednisone.
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicines, herbal preparations and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible interactions.
Storage and disposal of Milixim O Tablets
- Store the Milixim-O tablet below 25°C in a cool and dry place.
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Milixim O Tablets
Missed a Dose
- If you have missed taking any dose of the Milixim-O tablet, take it as soon as you remember.
- If it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
- Do not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one.
- It is advisable not to miss any dose of antibiotics as it can result in a failure of therapy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: For how long do I need to take the Milixim-O tablet?
- You need to complete the full course of this medicine, as per your doctor's prescribed duration.
- You may feel fine after a few doses but it is important to complete the course.
- If you stop it early, there may be chances of infection reoccurring or not responding to this antibiotic in the future.
Q: Are there any specific cautions needed when taking the Milixim-O tablet?
Q: Can the Milixim-O tablet cause diarrhoea?
Q: Can I stop taking the Milixim-O tablet when I feel better?
- OMNIX O Tablets (Cefixime + Ofloxacin) [Internet]. Ciplamed.com. 2021 [cited 19 July 2021]
- Ofloxacin 200 mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 July 2021]
- Suprax 200 mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 July 2021]
- CDSCO - Cefixime + Ofloxacin [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 19 July 2021]