Melmet Sr 1gm Strip Of 15 Tablets
By MICRO LABS
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
The primary medicine in the composition of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S is metformin which belongs to the biguanide (antidiabetic) group of medicines used to treat diabetes mellitus and reduce blood sugar levels.
Uses of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
Type 2 diabetes mellitus (non-insulin dependent diabetes) when diet and exercise have not been able to control your blood glucose levels.
Contraindications of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Liver Disease
- Severe kidney disease
- Heart failure
- Severe respiratory disease
- Excessive drinking of alcohol
- Allergic reaction to the medicine
- Severe infection such as infection of lung or kidney. Infections can increase the risk for lactic acidosis
Side effects of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and mild diarrhea.
- Altered taste sensations
- Decreased vitamin B12 levels
- Skin rashes, redness, itching and hives
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness and rapid breathing
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Abnormal liver function tests and hepatitis
- If you notice yellowing of the eyes or skin, contact your doctor immediately
Precautions and Warnings of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
Can I take Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S during pregnancy?
Your doctor will mostly not prescribe this medicine to you in pregnancy. Also, never take this medicine in pregnancy without a doctor’s advice.
Can I take this medicine while breastfeeding?
Since it is known to pass into the breast milk, it should be not taken while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have taken this medicine?
If you are taking this medicine along with other antidiabetic medicines, there are chances your blood sugar can fall. You may experience faintness, confusion and increased sweating. So, in this case, you should take extra care when driving. Keep juice or chocolate handy while driving. In case you start experiencing faintness, confusion and increased sweating, immediately have it.
Can I consume alcohol with the medicine?
Avoid excessive intake of alcohol, as alcohol lowers blood sugar and also increases the risk of a serious condition known as lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps, difficulty in breathing, reduced body temperature and heartbeat
- You have a condition that may be associated with dehydration (significant loss of body fluids) such as severe vomiting, diarrhea
- The medicine can cause a serious condition called lactic acidosis. The risk factors are is uncontrolled diabetes, serious infections, prolonged fasting or alcohol intake, dehydration, liver problems, and any severe heart conditionsRead less
Mode of Action of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
How Does It Work?
Your pancreas produces a hormone called insulin that drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter inside the cell, which is used as energy. If you have diabetes mellitus, your pancreas either does not make enough insulin, or your body is unable to use properly the insulin it produces (insulin resistance). Due to this, glucose is not able to enter into the cells, which leads to a high level of glucose in your blood. The medicine works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, lowering the amount of sugar created by the liver and facilitating entry of sugar into the cells.
Directions for Use of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
The dosage of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S is to be taken as directed by your doctor.
Interactions of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
Interactions with other medicines
- Birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
- Diet pills or medicines to treat asthma, colds, or allergies
- Increase urine production (a diuretic)
- Heart or blood pressure medications
- Steroids (prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone)
- Thyroid medicine
- Medicines like furosemide and cimetidine
- If you need to have an injection of iodine containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for X-ray or scan, the doctor may ask you to stop taking this medicine before or at the time of injection
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for the long term, these can damage your kidneys
Interactions with food items
Absorption of vitamin B12 appears to be reduced during long-term treatment and annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and red blood cell parameters have been recommended to determine the need for vitamin B12 injections.
Storage and disposal of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
Store it at room temperature and keep away from excess heat and moisture. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
Dosage of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S
You must seek immediate emergency medical care if you suspect an overdose. In case of overdose, lactic acidosis may occur. Side effects due to overdose of Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S are vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps and difficulty in breathing.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Should I follow a diabetic diet while on this medicine?
A: Yes, it is advisable to have a diabetic diet as advised by your doctor or dietician. This medicine works best along with a good diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Q: Does Melmet Sr 1gm Tab 15`S cause weight loss?
A: Yes, this medicine is known to cause weight loss. Consult your doctor if any such symptoms are noticed.
Q: What food should be avoided with diabetes?
- Sugar-sweetened beverages
- Trans fats
- White bread
- Fruit flavoured yoghurt
- Sweetened breakfast cereals
- Flavoured coffee drinks
- Honey and mapple syrup
Q: Can this medicine cause hair loss?
A: Yes, this medicine can cause hair loss.
Q: Can I stop this medicine if I feel better?
A: This medicine cannot be stopped immediately. This medicine need to be reduced gradually. Consult your doctor who will aid you in the same.
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 01:53 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved