Meftal 500mg Tablet
By BLUE CROSS LABORATORIES PRIVATE LIMITED
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
7 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Meftal 500 MG Description
Meftal 500 tablet is used to provide relief from pain and inflammation of joints, bones, post-surgery and menstrual cycle. This medicine also reduces abdominal cramps during menses. Meftal 500 Tablet
contains mefenamic acid as its active ingredient. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medicine. Take Meftal 500 tablet as advised by your doctor.
|You Save||₹4.28 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Mefenamic Acid(500.0 Mg)|
|Side effects||Diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting|
Check more medicines with composition as Mefenamic Acid(500.0 Mg)
1 Brand Alternate(s)
Contains same composition as Meftal 500mg Tablet
- Mefezy 500mg Strip Of 10 TabletsBy Avighna Medicare Pvt Ltd10 Tablet(s) in StripMRP 27.00₹ 22.954.96% CHEAPER₹ 2.3/Tablet
Uses of Meftal 500 MG
- Meftal 500 tablet is used for pain relief such as pain related to joints, toothache, injury and muscle pain.
- It is also useful in relieving pain and cramps during the menstrual cycle.
Contraindications of Meftal 500 MG
- If you are allergic to this mefenamic acid or any of the ingredient of Meftal 500 tablet
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease, ulcers in stomach or intestine
- If you have or ever had problems of intestinal bleeding or stomach ulcers with or without the use of painkillers
- If your heart, liver or kidneys are not working properly or you have any health condition related to these organs
- If you have a history of allergic reaction like breathing problem and skin allergy upon using painkillers like aspirin or Ibuprofen
- This medicine should not be used for the pain after bypass surgery of the heart and in pregnant women during the third trimester
Side effects of Meftal 500 MG
- Stomach discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Meftal 500 MG
Can I take Meftal 500 tablet during pregnancy?
It is advised not to take Meftal 500 tablet during pregnancy especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It may affect the fetus adversely. It can also prolong or delay the labour, increase the risk of bleeding. If you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant, discontinue the treatment and seek medical help for a safer alternative immediately.
Can I take Meftal 500 tablet while breastfeeding?
Meftal 500 tablet passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Thus, it should not be taken by breastfeeding women. Your doctor may prescribe you with some safer alternative or if it is really necessary for your health condition, you may be asked to discontinue breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Meftal 500 tablet?
You may experience dizziness, visual disturbance, spinning head, drowsiness after taking this medicine. So, it is advised to be careful and cautious while driving and operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Meftal 500 tablet?
Although there is no known interaction between alcohol and Meftal 500 tablet, it is essential to consult your physician if you have a habit of consuming alcohol regularly.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have breathing-related disorder or asthma. You are prone to seasonal allergies, rhinitis and other lung and throat problems, need to be very cautious
- You are suffering from a heart problem, liver or kidney problem, or if you are taking water pills, the doctor may ask to monitor kidney function tests
- You are suffering from high blood pressure or heart problem, close monitoring of heart parameters are required during the treatment
- You experience stomach pain, bleeding in vomiting or black colored stools, then immediately inform your doctor
- You may develop skin allergies like skin rashes, itching, papules, blisters, etc
- You are suffering from autoimmune disorder, systemic lupus erythematosus or you have a problem of fits, caution is advised
- You have high blood pressure and heart problem or any risk which can give heart problems like diabetes and high cholesterol as you may experience swelling and water retention during the treatment
- Caution is needed in elderly, use only for the number of days advised by your doctor.
- Meftal 500 can impair with fertility, so it is not recommended for the women trying to conceive or taking any treatment for it
Directions for Use of Meftal 500 MG
- Take Meftal 500 tablet as a whole with a sufficient amount of water
- Take the medicine as instructed by your doctor and don't change doses of this medicine without consulting the doctor
Storage and disposal of Meftal 500 MG
- Store the Meftal 500 tablets below 25°C in a clean and dry place.
- Keep away from children and pets.
Quick Tips of Meftal 500 MG
- Meftal 500 tablet is used to provide relief from moderate to severe pain and inflammation of muscles and joints, toothache, post-surgery pain and abdominal cramps during menses. It contains mefenamic acid as the active ingredient. This medicine should not be used for treating any other condition unless specified by the doctor....
- This medicine must be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor, in the doses and for the duration prescribed. It's best to take it with or after meals to avoid stomach upset.
- Meftal 500 tablet should not be used by a pregnant woman because it may affect the fetus adversely. If used during labour, it can also cause labour to be delayed and increase bleeding in both mother and child....
- Inform your doctor if you are planning on becoming pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take it.
- Bloating, stomach discomfort, diarrhoea, constipation and nausea/vomiting can occur as side effects of this medicine in some individuals. If side effects bother you, please inform your doctor.
- If you experience dizziness or sleepiness after taking Meftal 500 tablet, it is recommended to avoid driving, operating heavy machinery or performing any such tasks that require mental alertness.
- Do not take any medicine on your own without confirming with your doctor during treatment with Meftal 500 tablet.
Dosage of Meftal 500 MG
Symptoms of overdose include diarrhoea, drowsiness, ringing sound in ears, headache, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, excitation, drowsiness, tinnitus, fainting and occasionally fits. If you think you have taken too much of Meftal 500 tablet, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital...
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of Meftal 500 tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed dose....
Mode of Action of Meftal 500 MG
How Does It Work?
Meftal 500 tablet works by interfering with the production of a chemical called prostaglandins, which is responsible for the inflammation, swelling and sensation of pain.
Interactions of Meftal 500 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Mefenamic acid may enhance the effect of oral anticoagulants like warfarin, close monitoring of bleeding parameters is advised
- Medicine containing lithium used to treat the mental condition if taken along can lead to lithium toxicity
- Concomitant use of other painkillers is not advised as it can increase the side effects of this medicine
- Medicines such as steroids, antidepressants, medicines to stop blood clotting and pain killers should not be used simultaneously as there is increased risk of stomach and intestinal bleeding
- You may experience fits upon concomitant use of antibiotics like Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin with this medicine
- There should be a minimum gap of 10-12 days use between the use of Mifepristone and this medicine as it can reduce the effect of Mifepristone
- Medicine like Digoxin used for heart failure should not be used along as Mefenamic acid can induce heart failure and reduce the effectiveness of heart failure medicine
- Medicines like Methotrexate, Ciclosporin, Tacrolimus and some hypertension medicines (furosemide) increase the risk of kidney damage when taken with this medicine
- Other medicines like Probenecid, Zidovudine and oral anti-diabetic medicine should be used cautiously
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Meftal 500 be taken for fever?
A: No, this is a painkiller medicine used to relieve mild to moderate pain.
Q: What is meftal 500 tablet used for?
A: Meftal 500 tablet is used to relieve mild to moderate pain in adults. Meftal 500 is used for tooth pain, pain due to sports injury, muscle pain, back pain, migraine & pain and cramps associated with periods.
Q: Can Meftal 500 tablet relieve my toothache?
A: Meftal 500 tablet can be used for toothache if prescribed by your doctor. Do not self-medicate.
Q: Does Meftal 500 tablet make me sleepy?
A: Yes, Meftal 500 tablet may cause sleepiness, make you feel dizzy and weak. Avoid driving or performing activities that require mental alertness
Q: Does Meftal 500 tablet stop the menstrual bleeding?
A: Meftal 500 tablet is a pain killer and has no role in menstrual bleeding. It is essentially helpful in relieving pain and cramps during the menstrual cycle. It functions by blocking the production of a substance called prostaglandin, which is responsible for generating pain, swelling and inflammation.
Q: Can prolonged treatment with Meftal 500 tablet affect my liver?
A: Yes, prolonged treatment with Meftal 500 can cause liver dysfunction. So it is recommended to use this medicine only if the doctor recommends it.
Q: Can Meftal 500 tablet affect female fertility?
A: There might be a risk of female infertility after using mefenamic acid. So caution is advised in females who are having problems in conceiving.
Q: Can we take Meftal 500 on an empty stomach?
A: Meftal 500 should be taken with food to avoid stomach upset or as advised by the doctor.
Q: Can I take Meftal 500 every month?
A: Yes, you can take Meftal 500 every month. Doctors recommend taking Meftal 500 tablets for the shortest possible time. It is not prescribed for regular use. The doctor will decide the dose and duration, depending on what you are taking it for and how well it helps your symptoms. Therefore, you should take this medicine only after consulting a doctor.
Q: What does Meftal 500 contain?
A: Meftal 500 tablet contains mefenamic acid as its active ingredient.
Q: What are the side effects of Meftal 500?
A: One may experience side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation after taking the Meftal 500 tablet, but not everybody gets them. These side effects normally go away with time, but if you feel the side effects persist, you should consult your doctor.
- Ponstan Capsules - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 12 July 2021]
- Mefenamic Acid [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- Mefal-500 Tablet [Internet]. Bluecross laboratories. 2021 [cited 18 May 2021]
- Mefenamic Acid 500 mg film-coated Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 12 July 2021]
- Mefenamic Acid 500 mg film-coated Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 12 July 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed