Mefalgin 250mg Tab
By ANTHUS PHARMACEUTICALS PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
Non ReturnableRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Mefalgin 250mg Tab contains Mefenamic acid. It is a Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medicine
Uses of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- To relieve swelling, inflammation and pain after surgery, operation and after delivery
- To relieve pain and inflammation of joints, bones and muscles due to sprains, strains and injuries
- To relieve pain and abdominal cramps during menstrual cycle
- It is also used to reduce fever and headache
Contraindications of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- If you are allergic to this Mefenamic acid or any of the ingredient of this medicine
- If you have a condition of inflammation, swelling and pain in your digestive tract
- If you have or ever had problems of intestinal bleeding or stomach ulcers with or without the use of painkillers
- If your heart, liver or kidneys are not working properly or you have any health condition related to these organs
- If you have a history of allergic reaction like breathing problem and skin allergy upon using painkillers like aspirin or Ibuprofen
- This medicine should not be used for the pain after bypass surgery of the heart and in pregnant women during the third trimester
Side effects of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- Diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation and stomach discomforts
- Stomach and intestinal bleeding which can be sometimes fatal especially in elderly
- Blood disorders like anaemia, skin rashes, itching, redness and papules formation
- Headache, dizziness, weakness, irregular heartbeats, breathing problems and blurred vision
Precautions and Warnings of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
Can I take Mefalgin 250mg Tab during pregnancy?
It is not advised to take this medicine during pregnancy especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It may affect the formation of the heart of growing fetus and can lead to growth abnormalities. It can also prolong or delay the labour, increase the risk of bleeding and can also induce a miscarriage. If you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant, discontinue the treatment and seek medical help for a safer alternative immediately.
Can I take Mefalgin 250mg Tab while breastfeeding?
It passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Thus, it should not be taken by breastfeeding women. Your doctor may prescribe you with some safer alternative or if it is really necessary for your health condition, you may be asked to discontinue breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Mefalgin 250mg Tab?
You may experience dizziness, visual disturbance, spinning head, drowsiness after taking this medicine. So, it is advised to be careful and cautious while driving and operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Mefalgin 250mg Tab?
You should avoid consuming alcohol along with this medicine. It can increase the risk of liver disease and stomach bleeding.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you are an older adult as there are chances of stomach/intestinal bleeding
- If you have breathing-related disorder or asthma. You are prone to seasonal allergies, rhinitis and other lung and throat problems, need to be very cautious
- If you are suffering from a heart problem, liver or kidney problem, or if you are taking water pills, the doctor may ask to monitor kidney function tests
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure or heart problem, close monitoring of heart parameters are required during the treatment
- If you experience stomach ache and pain as there are chances of development of intestinal or stomach bleeding with this medicine especially if you are a regular smoker and alcoholic
- If you may develop skin allergies like skin rashes, itching, papules, blisters, etc
- If you are suffering from autoimmune disorder, systemic lupus erythematosus or you have a problem of fits, caution is advised
- If you have high blood pressure and heart problem or any risk which can give heart problems like diabetes and high cholesterol as you may experience swelling and water retention during the treatment
- It can impair with fertility, so it is not recommended for the women trying to conceive to taking any treatment for it
Mode of Action of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
How Does It Work?
This medicine acts by interfering with the production of a chemical called prostaglandins, which is responsible for the inflammation, swelling and sensation of pain.
Directions for Use of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- Take this medicine as a whole with a sufficient amount of water
- Take the medicine as instructed by your doctor and don't change doses of this medicine without consulting the doctor
Interactions of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Mefenamic acid may enhance the effect of oral anticoagulants like warfarin, close monitoring of bleeding parameters is advised
- Medicine containing lithium used to treat the mental condition if taken along can lead to lithium toxicity
- Concomitant use of other painkillers is not advised as it can increase the side effects of this medicine
- Medicines such as steroids, antidepressants, medicines to stop blood clotting and pain killers should not be used simultaneously as there is increased risk of stomach and intestinal bleeding
- You may experience fits upon concomitant use of antibiotics like Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin with this medicine
- There should be a minimum gap of 10-12 days on the use of Mifepristone with this medicine as it can reduce the effect of Mifepristone
- Medicine like Digoxin used for heart failure should not be used along as Mefenamic acid can induce heart failure and reduce the effectiveness of heart failure medicine
- Medicines like Methotrexate, Ciclosporin, Tacrolimus and some hypertension medicines (furosemide) increase the risk of kidney damage when taken with this medicine
- Other medicines like Probenecid, Zidovudine and oral anti-diabetic medicine should be used cautiously
Storage and disposal of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- Store the medicine below 25°C
- Keep it out of the reach of children
Dosage of Mefalgin 250mg Tab
- Symptoms of overdose include diarrhoea, drowsiness, ringing sound in ears, headache, nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, mental confusion, excitation, coma, drowsiness, tinnitus, fainting and occasionally fitsread less
- If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Why do pain killers cause gastrointestinal bleeding?
A: Pain killers are known to work by interfering with the production of a chemical called prostaglandins. Certain prostaglandins help in protecting the stomach lining from the corrosive effects of stomach acid, as well as playing a role in maintaining the natural, healthy condition of the stomach lining. Painkillers reduce the formation of prostaglandins and can lead to gastrointestinal bleeding.
Q: Is this medicine addictive?
A: No, this medicine is not addictive but it is advised not to give this medicine if anyone else has the same condition as you without consulting a doctor.
Other Variants for
Mefalgin 250mg Tab
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved