Ethide 250 MG Description
Ethide Tablets are used to manage tuberculosis (TB infection). It is a contagious bacterial infection that affects the lungs through inhalation of air droplets or direct contact. The primary use of E
thide tablets is to treat tuberculosis infection in patients when other anti-TB medications are not working. It is used as a second line of treatment in active TB infection along with other medicines. Using it alone will cause rapid development of resistance. The single active ingredient of Ethide tablets is ethionamide. The mode of action of Ethide tablets is to kill the Tuberculosis-causing bacteria by destroying its cell wall. This medicine may be prescribed for a few months, along with other similar medications. Tuberculosis bacteria die very slowly; hence the treatment is long. Besides, it can also quickly develop resistance to anti-tuberculosis medicines. Please strictly follow your doctor’s directions for the use of Ethide tablets. The treatment duration depends on factors, such as the affected person's overall health, immune status, and the drug resistance offered by the bacteria involved. Before prescribing, doctors will perform an exam and decide on a treatment plan. Do not stop using Ethide tablets mid-treatment under any condition, even if you start feeling better. Doing so might cause the infection to return more severely and even become harder to treat.
|You Save||₹15.81 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal/stomach pain, increased saliva, strange metallic taste in the mouth, loss of appetite, vision problems.|
Uses of Ethide 250 MG
- As per CDSCO, Ethide tablets are used for the management of tuberculosis infection (mainly in the lungs and rarely in other areas).
Contraindications of Ethide 250 MG
- If you have a known allergic reaction to any of the components of the Ethide tablet
- If you have acute or severe liver dysfunction.
- If you are using only this tablet for the treatment of TB infection.
- If you have a history of eye conditions like optic neuritis, Ethide tablets can worsen your condition.
- If you have any eye-related problems like blurry vision or absence of vision.
- If you have an alcohol addiction, this medicine can cause psychosis.
- If you are a patient with diabetes, you need to frequently monitor blood glucose levels as Ethide tablets can cause hypoglycemia in some people.
- If you are a patient with hypothyroidism, this medicine can worsen your condition.
- If you are currently expecting or planning for a pregnancy.
- If the patient is younger than 12 years of age.
Side effects of Ethide 250 MG
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Increased watering of the mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Metallic taste
- Swelling or inflammation of the mouth
- Weight loss
Precautions and Warnings of Ethide 250 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have used Ethide tablets to treat tuberculosis in the past.
- You want to stop using this medicine because you are feeling better. Do not stop mid-treatment and always complete the entire course of treatment; otherwise, the infection may return, and the current treatment may not work....
Mode of Action of Ethide 250 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Ethide 250 MG
- Take your Ethide tablet exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage.
- Try to take the whole pill with a glass of water; do not break or chew it.
- Do not consume Ethide tablets if their packaging is already opened.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this tablet as it can have adverse effects.
- Do not take Ethide tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Try to take an Ethide tablet on an empty stomach as food can interfere with the effectiveness of this medicine. If you experience a severe stomach upset, please consult your doctor.
Interactions of Ethide 250 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Ethide tablets interact with other anti-tuberculosis medications even though they are supposed to be consumed along with them. It increases the side effects of other tuberculosis medicines when they are taken simultaneously....
- Ethide tablets increase the levels of Isoniazid (a medicine used in the first line of treatment for tuberculosis infection) in the blood when used together. It can increase the risk of peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling in hands and feet) and liver toxicity....
- When you use ethide tablets with Cycloserine (2nd line of anti-tuberculosis medicine), the interactions will increase the precipitation of seizures (fits), especially in people who have a history of a seizure disorder....
- Using Ethide tablets with rifampicin (1st line anti-tuberculosis medicine) will increase toxicity to the liver.
Interactions with food items
- Try to avoid caffeine, sodium, spicy condiments, processed sugar and flour. Foods containing saturated and trans fats worsen the TB symptoms of diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, and fatigue.
- Tobacco should be avoided during the treatment of TB infection.
- If you using other TB medicines with this tablet, try to avoid food with high tyramine content such as aged cheese, cured meat, soy sauce, beer, red wine, etc.
Storage and disposal of Ethide 250 MG
Dosage of Ethide 250 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is it safe to use other tuberculosis medications with Ethide tablets?
Q: Should I stop using Ethide tablets if I am feeling better?
Q: Can I give Ethide tablets to children?
- Chhabra N, Aseri ML, Dixit R, Gaur S. Pharmacotherapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis [Internet]. Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics. Medknow Publications & Media Pvt Ltd; 2012 [cited 2022 Mar 11].
- Trecator® (ethionamide tablets, USP) Tablets. Rx only. Accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 2022 Mar 11].
- Chang KC, Yew WW, Sotgiu G. Clinical Research in the Treatment of Tuberculosis: Current Status and Future Prospects [Internet]. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease: The Official Journal of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 2022 Mar 11] -
- Torres NMC, Rodríguez JJQ, Andrade PSP, Arriaga MB, Netto EM. Factors Predictive of the Success of Tuberculosis Treatment: A Systematic Review with Meta-analysis [Internet]. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science [cited 2022 Mar 11]
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Mar 11]
- Ragan EJ; Kleinman MB; Sweigart B; Gnatienko N; Parry CD; Horsburgh CR; LaValley MP; Myers B; Jacobson KR; The impact of alcohol use on tuberculosis treatment outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis [Internet]. The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease: the official journal of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Mar 11].