Esomac D 40mg Capsule
By CIPLA LIMITED
10 Capsule(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Esomac D 40mg Capsule contains a combination of two medicines - Esomeprazole and Domperidone. It is an anti-reflux medicine and is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which does not respond to esomeprazole medication alone. GERD is a condition in which acid from the stomach comes back up to the food pipe and causes heartburn, belching, nausea, and chest pain. It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach and improves the mortality in the gut. Thus, it reduces the backflow of stomach content to the food pipe. Take this medicine as per the prescribed duration. It should preferably be taken at least an hour before the meal. Do not stop taking this medicine without informing your doctor. Headache, dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea, stomach pain, weakness, skin rash, dry mouth are some side effects that you may experience after taking this medicine. Most of which are temporary but if you feel the side effects persist or your condition worsens, you should contact your doctor immediately. This medicine is not recommended for use in patients below 18 years old.
Uses of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
Esomac D 40mg Capsule is used in adult patients to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in which there is a reflux of acid from the stomach into the food pipe, causing heartburn, chest discomfort, and acidity. It is particularly useful when GERD is not responding to esomeprazole medicine alone.
Contraindications of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
- If you are allergic to Esomeprazole or Domperidone or any other ingredients of Esomac D 40mg Capsule.
- If you have a blockage or tear in the intestines.
- If you are suffering from liver or kidney disorder.
- If you are suffering from bleeding in the digestive system.
- If you have any tumour of the pituitary gland (Prolactin pituitary tumours).
- If you have severe heart problems such as congestive heart failure, heart rhythm problems, electrolyte imbalance.
- If you are taking any medicine which might affect the contraction of the heart muscle (QT prolongation).
- If you are taking medicines such as Nelfinavir (used in HIV infection), Clarithromycin (antibiotic), Ketoconazole (antifungal) or Verapamil (used in high blood pressure and chest pain).
Side effects of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain, gas
- Diarrhoea, constipation
- Weakness, tingling feeling
- Drowsiness, vertigo
- Skin rash, itching
- Swelling of the feet and ankles
- Dry mouth
- Insomnia, anxiety
- Blurred vision (rare)
Precautions and Warnings of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
Can I take Esomac D 40mg Capsule during pregnancy?
This medicine should not be used during pregnancy as there is limited information about its safety in human pregnancy. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant or planning to have a baby.
Can I take Esomac D 40mg Capsule while breastfeeding?
This medicine passes into breast milk in small amounts and might affect your baby. Consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding, after assessing the benefits over the risks. Your doctor might change the medicine, ask you to stop breastfeeding, or closely monitor the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Esomac D 40mg Capsule?
This medicine may make you feel dizzy, sleepy, or even blur your vision for a temporary basis. You should avoid driving if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Esomac D 40mg Capsule?
You should avoid consuming alcohol while on treatment with this medicine as it is known to increase acidity and can make your acidity worse.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any liver and kidney-related diseases.
- You have a specific blood test (Chromogranin A).
- You experience black stools or have stomach tumour.
- You have a history of fractures or have osteoporosis or taking steroids.
- You develop skin lesions, especially in the sun-exposed area after taking this medicine.
- You are taking medicines to treat HIV or apomorphine (used to treat muscle stiffness).
- You have heart problems and associated symptoms like palpitations, difficulty in breathing, and unconsciousness.
- You experience stomach pain or indigestion, unexplained weight loss, have problems while swallowing, vomit out food or blood after taking this medicine.
- You have low levels of vitamin B12. This medicine is known to reduce the absorption of vitamin B12 after long term use. Supplements may be needed.
- You are on these capsules for long-term treatment (more than three months), your blood magnesium levels may decrease. Hence, your doctor may perform regular tests for the same.
- This medicine is not recommended for patients below the age of 18 years.
- Taking this medicine for more than one year may increase the chances of developing bone fractures.
- This medicine may lead to a slightly increased risk of bacterial infections due to Salmonella and Campylobacter.
Mode of Action of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
How Does It Work?
- A pump called the proton pump in the stomach is responsible for the flow of stomach acids.
- Esomeprazole works by binding to this proton pump in stomach cells and blocks the acid secretion.
- Domperidone acts by increasing the motility of the stomach and intestines so that acid does not reflux back into the food pipe.
Directions for Use of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
This medicine should be taken at least 1 hour before meals. These capsules should be swallowed whole with water. These capsules should not be opened, chewed, or crushed. You should take this medicine regularly at a fixed time and as directed by your doctor. Do not consume it more than the prescribed dose.
Interactions of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
Interactions with other medicines
- There is limited information available on the interaction of this medicine with other medicines. However, as this pill contains Esomeprazole and Domperidone, and any interactions with these two components when taken alone, may occur with this combination.Read less
- This medicine should not be taken concomitantly along with medicines such as Nelfinavir (used to treat HIV infection), Amiodarone (used to treat muscle stiffness), Clarithromycin (antibiotic), Ketoconazole (antifungal) or Verapamil (used in high blood pressure, chest pain).Read less
- This capsule should also not be taken along with medicines used to treat heart problems (Quinidine, Sotalol), psychiatric illness (Haloperidol, Citalopram), antifungals (Pentamidine), antimalarials (Halofantrine, Lumefantrine), medicines used to treat allergies (Mizolastine), medicines to treat in cancer (Toremifene, Vandetanib), gastric emptying medicines (Cisapride) and other medicines like Diphemanil and Methadone.Read less
- Concomitant use of this capsule with medicines used to treat psychiatric illness (Diazepam), used to treat fits (Phenytoin) is not recommended as it may increase the side effects of the medicines.
- Medicine used to treat heart failure like Digoxin may lead to toxicity when taken with this medicine.
- If you are taking Warfarin (blood-thinner) along with this medicine, caution is needed as there are chances of increased bleeding.
- Other medicines like Rifampicin, Methotrexate, Tacrolimus, Voriconazole, Cilostazol, Clopidogrel, Azithromycin, St John's wort, etc. should be used cautiously along with Esomac D 40mg Capsule.
Interactions with food items
This medicine should preferably be taken on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before meals.
Storage and disposal of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
Store this medicine below 25°C in a clean and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture, and heat. Keep this medicine away from children and pets. Discard expired medicines or any unused medicine properly, do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Esomac D 40mg Capsule
The symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, indigestion, diarrhoea, constipation, weakness, confusion, agitation, anxiety, fits, altered consciousness, sleepiness, etc. In case of an overdose, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you miss any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one. Skipping doses or not finishing the full course of therapy may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the use of Esomac D 40mg Capsule?
A: This medicine is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in adults when GERD does not respond to esomeprazole medicine alone. This condition leads to acid regurgitating from the stomach into the food pipe, causing heartburn, chest discomfort, and acidity.
Q: Can Esomac D 40mg Capsule be taken after food?
A: It should not be taken after food as food interacts with the absorption of this medicine. Hence, it should preferably be taken at least 1 hour before food.
Q: How much time does it take for this medicine to act?
A: It takes approximately 1 hour after taking a dose for this medicine to act.
Q: Can we take Esomac D 40mg Capsule along with Itraconazole?
A: You should avoid taking this medicine with Itraconazole as it reduces the absorption of Itraconazole, reducing its effect. You should consult your doctor before taking Itraconazole when on treatment with this medicine.
- CiplaMed. Esomac D Capsules. [Accessed on 25.Sept.2020] (online)
- CDSCO. Esomeprazole + Domperidone Capsules. [Accessed on 25.Sept.2020] (online)
- LactMed. Esomeprazole. [Accessed on 25.Sept.2020] (online)
- EMA. SmPC. Esomeprazole. [Accessed on 25.Sept.2020] (online)
- EMA. SmPC. Motilium. [Accessed on 25.Sept.2020] (online)
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 19 Mar 2021 | 04:11 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved