Combutol 600mg Tablet
Combutol 600 MG Description
Combutol 600 mg Tablet is an anti-tuberculosis medicine. It aids in the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). TB is an infectious disease that affects the lungs and other organs of the body like the brain,
spine, and skin. It is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) bacteria. Combutol 600mg Tablet only works on bacterial infection and has no effect on viral disease. Combutol 600 mg Tablet contains ethambutol. Combutol 600mg Tablet is generally given as a combination medicine along with other anti-tuberculosis medicines. The dose and duration of Combutol 600 mg Tablet are advised based on the bodyweight of the patient. Combutol 600 mg Tablet can be taken with or without food. For optimal pharmacological effects, it should be taken preferably at the same time daily. Once started, the course of Combutol 600 mg Tablet should be completed without any break to avoid treatment failure and the development of medicine-resistant tuberculosis, which could be difficult to treat. Inform your doctor about any pre-existing conditions you may have, like diabetes, eye disorders (like diabetic retinopathy, optic neuritis, cataracts), kidney disease or liver disease. Combutol 600 mg Tablet can decrease blood sugar levels. So, regular monitoring of blood sugar levels is required. Kidney and liver function tests should be regularly monitored while on Combutol 600 mg Tablet treatment.
|You Save||₹6.17 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||abdominal pain, stomach upset, decreased appetite, diarrhoea, vomiting, headache, colour blindness, decreased vision, optic neuritis, skin rash and itching, raised liver enzymes (hepatitis)|
Uses of Combutol 600 MG
- Combutol 600 mg Tablet is used in,
- Treatment of Tuberculosis (TB) - intended to be used concomitantly with other anti-TB medicines
Contraindications of Combutol 600 MG
- If you have a history of an allergic response to ethambutol or any of the constituents of Combutol 600 mg Tablet.
- If you have poor vision and eye conditions like optic neuritis.
- If you have a decreased renal function or renal failure.
- Combutol 600mg Tablet is not indicated for children less than 13 years of age.
Side effects of Combutol 600 MG
- Abdominal pain and stomach upset
- Decreased appetite
- Colour blindness
- Decreased vision
- Optic neuritis
- Skin rash and itching
- Raised liver enzymes (hepatitis)
Precautions and Warnings of Combutol 600 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have blurred vision and difficulty in focusing.
- You experience loss of vision that lasts more than an hour.
- You have difficulty in recognising any colour.
- You have any pain in any of your eyes.
- You have any numbness or any tingling sensation in fingers or toes.
- You have any worsening symptoms of pre-existing gout.
- You have developed any joint pain.
- You have developed any symptoms of liver function impairment like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, itching sensation, yellowing of eyes.
- You develop any mouth ulcers, cold or flu symptoms.
- You want to stop taking Combutol 600 mg Tablet.
Mode of Action of Combutol 600 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Combutol 600 MG
- Combutol 600 mg Tablet should be used as advised by your doctor.
- The tablet should be swallowed whole along with a glass of water.
- You should not break or chew Combutol 600 mg Tablet.
- Combutol 600 mg Tablet can be taken with or without food.
- Combutol 600 mg Tablet should be taken at a fixed time every day to maintain a constant level of medicine in the body and achieve the desired clinical effect.
- You should continue taking Combutol 600 mg Tablet as per the recommendation of your doctor.
- You should not stop the treatment with Combutol 600 mg Tablet without consulting your doctor.
Interactions of Combutol 600 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Antacids like aluminium hydroxide - impairs the absorption of Combutol 600 mg Tablet. Hence, antacids should be avoided while you are on treatment with Combutol 600 mg Tablet.
- Live vaccines (like chickenpox and yellow fever vaccines) when taken while you are on treatment with Combutol 600 mg Tablet can be less effective. Hence, your doctor would advise you when to take the vaccine....
Interactions with food items
- After oral administration, absorption of Combutol 600 mg Tablet is not affected by food. No interaction with food has been found.
Storage and disposal of Combutol 600 MG
Dosage of Combutol 600 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop using the Combutol 600 mg Tablet whenever I want?
Q: Should I take another Combutol 600 mg Tablet if I vomited after taking the tablet?
Q: Is it necessary that I take so many tablets as part of the treatment for TB? Can taking only a Combutol 600 mg Tablet will be sufficient?
Q: Should I get any routine blood tests done while on treatment with Combutol 600 mg Tablet?
- Saxena, Rohit,; Singh et.al.; INOSRG Ethambutol toxicity: Expert panel consensus for the primary prevention, diagnosis and management of ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology: December 2021 - Volume 69 - Issue 12 - p 3734-3739 doi: 10.4103/ijo.IJO_3746_20 [cited 2022 Feb 22] Available from:
- Ethambutol 400mg Tablets [Internet]. Org.uk. [cited 2022 Feb 18]. Available from
- Fda.gov. [cited 2022 Feb 18]. Available from: