Bigomet 500mg Tablet
By ARISTO PHARMACEUTICALS PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
The composition of Bigomet 500mg Tab contains metformin, which belongs to the class of biguanides. It is used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus and to reduce blood sugar levels.
Uses of Bigomet 500mg Tab
The uses of Bigomet 500mg Tab are for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (non-insulin dependent diabetes) when diet and exercise alone are unable to control your blood glucose levels.
Contraindications of Bigomet 500mg Tab
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease (severe)
- Heart failure
- Severe respiratory disease
- Heavy drinker of alcohol
- Allergic to this medicine
- Severe infection, such as infections of lung or kidney
Side effects of Bigomet 500mg Tab
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach ache and mild diarrhea
- Altered taste sensations
- Decreased vitamin B12 levels
- Skin rashes, redness, itching, and hives
- Weight loss
- Lactic acidosis
Precautions and Warnings of Bigomet 500mg Tab
Can I take Bigomet 500mg Tab during pregnancy?
In pregnancy-related diabetes, insulin is preferred over any oral blood-glucose-lowering medicines as a thumb rule. A doctor will mostly not prescribe this medicine to you in pregnancy. Do not use in pregnancy without a doctor’s advice.
Can I take the medicine while breastfeeding?
This medicine can be secreted in the mother’s milk. Hence, it should be not taken while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed the medicine?
If this medicine is taken along with other antidiabetic medicines, there are chances that your blood sugar can fall. You may experience faintness, confusion, and increased sweating. Hence, you should take extra care while driving. Keep a juice or chocolate handy when you are driving, in case you start experiencing any of these, immediately have it.
Can I consume alcohol with the medicine?
You should avoid excessive intake of alcohol while taking this medicine because alcohol lowers the blood sugar and also increases the risk of a serious side effect called lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps, difficulty in breathing, reduced body temperature and heartbeat
- You have a condition that may be associated with dehydration (significant loss of body fluids) such as severe vomiting and diarrhea
- You have a serious condition called lactic acidosis with risk factors such as uncontrolled diabetes, serious infections, prolonged fasting or alcohol intake, dehydration, liver problems, and any severe heart conditionread less
Mode of Action of Bigomet 500mg Tab
How Does It Work?
Pancreas produces a hormone called insulin. Insulin drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter inside the cell. Then this glucose is utilized as the energy by the cell. In case of diabetes mellitus, the pancreas either does not make enough insulin or body is unable to use the insulin it produces (insulin resistance) properly. Hence, glucose is unable to enter the cells, and this leads to a high level of glucose in the blood. This medicine works by lowering the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, reducing the amount of sugar created by the liver, and hence facilitating entry of sugar inside the cells.
Directions for Use of Bigomet 500mg Tab
The dosage of Bigomet 500mg Tab and duration should be as prescribed by the physician. You should swallow this medicine as a whole. You should not chew, crush, or break it. It may be taken with or without food, but at a fixed time.
Interactions of Bigomet 500mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
- Medicines or diet pills to treat asthma, colds, or allergies
- Medicines that increase urine production (a diuretic)
- Heart or blood pressure medications
- Steroids (prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone, and others)
- Thyroid medicine
- Medicines like furosemide and cimetidine can increase the side effects of this medicine
- If you need to have an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for an X-ray or scan, your doctor may ask you to stop taking the medicine before or at the time of injectionread less
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for the long term, these can damage your kidneys. Use of such medicines along with this medicine in diabetes should be avoidedread less
Interactions with food items
Long-term therapy causes reduced absorption of vitamin B12, and annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and RBC parameters has been recommended to determine the need for vitamin B12 injection.
Storage and disposal of Bigomet 500mg Tab
Store it at a cool, dry place and away from excess heat and moisture. Keep it away from the reach of kids.
Dosage of Bigomet 500mg Tab
Lactic acidosis occurs in case of an overdose. Symptoms of lactic acidosis are vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps, and difficulty in breathing. If you see such symptoms, seek immediate emergency medical care.
Missed a Dose
If you miss any dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is there any dietary restriction while taking the medicine?
A: It is advisable to have a diabetic diet as advised by the consulting physician or dietician. This medicine works best along with proper diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Q: Can I take the medicine with omeprazole?
A: There is not any interaction present between this medicine and omeprazole.
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved