Finasteride belongs to the group called steroid reductase inhibitors. It is used in urinary problems caused by the enlarged prostate gland in males.
Uses of Finasteride
- Finasteride is used in urinary problems caused by the prostate gland in males and associated symptoms such as difficulty in urination, drop by drop urination and increased frequency of urination
- Also used in male pattern baldness
Contraindications of Finasteride
When should one not use Finasteride
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you are allergic to Finasteride
Side effects of Finasteride
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Ejaculation problems such as a decrease in the amount of semen released during sex
- Impotence (an inability to have an erection)
- Less sexual desire
- Testicular pain, feeling your heartbeat
- Raised liver enzymes
- Allergic reaction-skin rashes, itching, swelling of face, lips, tongue or throat, swallowing and breathing difficulties - seek emergency medical help immediately
- Breast problems like lumps, pain, enlargement, or nipple discharge. If you notice any of these immediately inform your doctor
Precautions and Warnings of Finasteride
Can I take Finasteride during pregnancy?
Finasteride is strictly not to be taken in pregnancy.
Can I take Finasteride while breastfeeding?
Do not take this medicine if you are breast feeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Finasteride?
Finasteride does not affect your ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Finasteride?
No information available to on interaction between alcohol and Finasteride
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you notice in the breasts - lumps, pain, breast enlargement or nipple discharge
- If you are getting reduced urinary flow
- If you have any liver disease
- If you are taking Finasteride, you should use a condom or other barrier method of contraception. Finasteride can pass into your semen and may affect the baby/ foetus if you conceive with partner during pregnancyread less
- If you are planning to do a blood test called prostate-specific antigen (PSA). Finasteride can affect the results of this test
- Mood changes like depressed mood, depression, and less frequently, suicidal thoughts have also been reported in patients treated with Finasteride. Immediately inform your doctor if you experience theseread less
Mode of Action of Finasteride
How Does It Work?
The prostate gland is present only in men. A swollen prostate gland can lead to a condition called ‘benign prostatic hyperplasia.’ This compresses the tube through which urine passes out. Finasteride works by reducing the amount of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a male hormone in the body. This makes the prostate gland smaller, which helps in relieving urinary problems.
Interactions of Finasteride
Interactions with other medicines
Finasteride does not interact with most other medicines but inform your doctor regarding the medications taking previously or while starting treatment.
Interactions with food items
If you have any allergy from food, consult with your doctor.
Dietary Restrictions of Finasteride
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Finasteride, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Finasteride
In the case of a recent episode of overdose, symptomatic treatment of drug overdose is given. Chronic overdose may lead to symptoms like painful breasts, enlarged breasts, sore nipples and exaggerated side-effects. Seek emergency medical attention immediately.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Any precautions to take before I start the treatment?
A: For women, inform your doctor if you pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Finasteride must be stopped well in advance before planning a pregnancy. Regular liver function tests are must while on treatment with Finasteride. Do not donate blood for 1 month from the last dose as there are chances of transfusion to pregnant woman.
Q: When and how to consume this medicine?
A: Finasteride is prescribed mostly in men and very rarely in women for specific conditions. It is better to read all the instructions on the package before you start taking the medication and acquaint yourself with the probable side effects. Take Finasteride exactly as per directions of your doctor. Swallow the tablet whole with water.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Finasteride
FINAX 1MG STRIP OF 30 TABLETS
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
30 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved