Domperidone belongs to the group of medicines called antiemetics. (emesis - vomiting)
Uses of Domperidone
- Domperidone is used to relieve nausea and vomiting
- To increase the transition of food into the stomach
- Domperidone is used in conditions such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastroparesis (sluggish movements of the stomach)
Contraindications of Domperidone
When should one not use Domperidone
- You are allergic to Domperidone
- You have black, tarry bowel stools or blood in stools
- If you have liver disease or kidney disease
- If you have heart disease
- You have a blockage or tear in your intestines
- You have a tumor of the pituitary gland called a prolactinoma
- If you have a low level of potassium or magnesium or a high level of potassium in your blood
Side effects of Domperidone
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry mouth
- Anxiety, headaches
- Decreased sex drive in men
- Increased fatigue
- Reduced sleep
- Allergic reactions like swelling of face, lips, or throat which may cause difficulty to swallow or breathe. This is potentially serious, immediately seek medical help
- Very fast or unusual heartbeat (serious)
- Uncontrolled movements like eye movements, tongue movements, twisting of neck and muscle stiffness.
Precautions and Warnings of Domperidone
Can I take Domperidone during pregnancy?
Domperidone is not to be used in pregnancy as it can harm the baby.
Can I take Domperidone while breastfeeding?
Do not take Domperidone tablets if you are breastfeeding. Small amount of Domperidone passes into breast milk. It may cause unwanted side effects in a breastfed baby. It should be used during breastfeeding only if your physician considers this necessary.
Can I drive if I have consumed Domperidone?
You need to be cautious while driving as Domperidone can cause sleepiness, confusion, or less control over your movements.
Can I consume alcohol with Domperidone?
Do not consume alcohol as it increases the side effects of Domperidone.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You suffer from liver and kidney problems
- You experience palpitations, trouble breathing or loss of consciousness. This could be due to the effect of Domperidone on your heart
Mode of Action of Domperidone
How Does It Work?
This medicine works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger (dopamine) in the brain, which causes the feeling of nausea and vomiting. It also increases the movement of the stomach and intestines. This makes food to move with ease through the stomach.
Interactions of Domperidone
Interactions with other medicines
- Inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. This is because this medicine can affect the way some other medicines work. Also, some medicines can affect the way Domperidone works
- Antifungals such as Ketoconazole and Fluconazole
- Antibiotics like Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Telithromycin, Moxifloxacin, Pentamidine
- Medicines for heart problems or high blood pressure, e.g., Amiodarone, Dronedarone, Quinidine, Disopyramide, Dofetilide, Sotalol, Diltiazem, Verapamil
- Medicines for psychoses (e.g., Haloperidol, Pimozide, Sertindole)
- Medicines for depression (e.g., Citalopram, Escitalopram)
- Medicines for HIV/AIDS
Interactions with food items
Domperidone should be taken before food. Intake of grapefruit or its juice is contraindicated while on treatment with Domperidone as it induces vomiting and nausea.
Dosage of Domperidone
Symptoms of Domperidone overdose include difficulty in speaking, poor orientation to surroundings, dizziness, fainting, irregular heartbeat, light-headedness, loss of balance, poor muscle control, etc. Seek emergency medical attention immediately if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any single dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next scheduled dosage, then skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: No FAQs
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Domperidone
DOMSTAL BABY STRAWBERRY FLAV DROPS 5ML
By TORRENT PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
5ml Oral Drop in Bottle
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved