Gliclazide+Metformin is a combination medicine. It is used in the treatment of
type 2 diabetes mellitus. It helps in controlling the blood sugar levels adequately. This combination belongs to an anti-diabetic class of medicines. Gliclazide+Metformin is available in the form of tablet, capsule. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Gliclazide+Metformin
Gliclazide+Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Contraindications of Gliclazide+Metformin
When should one not use Gliclazide+Metformin
- If you are allergic to gliclazide, metformin or similar medicines
- If you have uncontrolled diabetes along with nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss, stomach pain, etc
- If you have diabetic pre-coma
- If you have problems with your heart, liver or kidneys
- If you have any severe infection
- If you have a hereditary disease - porphyria
- If you are suffering from dehydration
- If you are taking a medicine called miconazole to treat fungal infections
- If you consume alcohol in excess
- If you are a breastfeeding mother
Side effects of Gliclazide+Metformin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Blurred vision
- Skin problems
- Increased liver enzymes or jaundice
Precautions and Warnings of Gliclazide+Metformin
Can I take gliclazide+metformin during pregnancy?
It is not advised to use gliclazide+metformin during pregnancy, consult your doctor before using it.
Can I take gliclazide+metformin while breastfeeding?
Consult your doctor before using gliclazide+metformin while breastfeeding as it passes into breast milk in low amounts.
Can I drive if I have taken gliclazide+metformin?
No information is available on the ability to drive or use machines, however, if you experience any side effect after taking gliclazide+metformin, then it is advisable not to drive or use machines. Contact your doctor for further information.
Can I consume alcohol with gliclazide+metformin?
No information is available on the interactions of gliclazide+metformin when taken with alcohol. Consult your doctor for further information.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have problems with your liver or kidney
- You are at risk of having high blood sugar
- You are suffering from any kind of infection
- You have a blood enzyme deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency)
- You have a history of an allergic reaction
- You are suffering from dehydration
- You have undergone any surgery
- Gliclazide+Metformin has not been studied in children and adolescents
Mode of Action of Gliclazide+Metformin
How Does It Work?
Gliclazide+Metformin acts by stimulating insulin secretion from the β-cells of the pancreas and increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas. It also helps to restore the body's proper response to the insulin it naturally produces....
Interactions of Gliclazide+Metformin
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way gliclazide+metformin works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking water pills, oral contraceptives or are taking medicines used in psychiatric illness, tuberculosis fits or epilepsy.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is gliclazide+metformin available?
A: Gliclazide+Metformin is available in the form of tablet and capsule.
Q: Is gliclazide+metformin an anti-diabetic medicine?
A: Yes, gliclazide+metformin is an anti-diabetic medicine.
- Gliclazide & Metformin Hydrochloride Tablets [Internet]. Wellonapharma.com. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Gliclazide 80 mg Tablets BP - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Glucophage 850 mg film coated tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Gliclazide + Metformin [Internet]. Drugsupdate.com. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.