Stilbestrol 0.5 MG Description
Stilbestrol Tab consists of diethylstilbestrol, a synthetic form of the female hormone, oestrogen. Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a medicine used to manage symptoms associated with prostate cancer treat
ment in men. Prostate cancer refers to the growth of cancer cells in the prostate gland(semen producing gland). It is the most common malignancy seen in men. Originally diethylstilbestrol was created to help women boost their natural oestrogen production. Stilbestrol Tab is a strong agonist of the oestrogen receptor. It is also used in the treatment of menopausal and postmenopausal diseases, as well as to prevent miscarriage or early delivery in pregnant women who are at risk. Stilbestrol Tab can be taken with or without food. Try to take your doses at the same time every day, as this will make it easier for you to remember. It is also available in the form of pessaries that are supposed to be inserted into the vagina.
|You Save||₹16.50 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Prostate cancer, Postpartum lactation suppression, Postmenopausal breast cancer, Atrophic vaginitis, Gonorrheal vaginitis, Menopausal symptoms|
|Side effects||Breast swelling and tenderness, Nausea and weight gain, Abdominal pain and cramps, Loss of appetite, Painful menstruation, Bloating|
|Therapy||POST MENOPAUSAL CARE|
Uses of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
- Treatment of prostate cancer
- Treatment of postpartum lactation suppression
- Treatment of postmenopausal breast cancer
- Treatment of atrophic vaginitis
- Treatment of gonorrheal vaginitis
- Treatment of menopausal symptoms
Contraindications of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
- If you have breast cancer
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a bleeding disorder
- If you have an allergy to diethylstilbestrol or other components of Stilbestrol Tab
- If you have lactose intolerance
- If you have any liver disease
Side effects of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
- Breast swelling and tenderness
- Weight gain
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Painful menstruation
Precautions and Warnings of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have a kidney or liver disease for appropriate dose adjustments.
- You have heart disease or if your blood arteries are clogged.
- You experience side effects that are worsening or bothering you.
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Before starting the treatment, inform your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medicines you are already taking.
Mode of Action of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
- Take Stilbestrol Tab exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- In the case of a tablet, take it by mouth along with a glass of water.
- Take the medicine at the same time every day.
- Your doctor will tell you how many tablets you should take every day.
- It is also available as a pessary that is to be inserted into the vagina. Your doctor will inform you about how to use the same.
Interactions of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about any prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal products, vitamins and nutritional supplements, you are taking or plan to take as there is a chance of drug interaction. Many medicines can interact with Stilbestrol Tab, making it less effective or increasing side effects. This includes:...
- Medicines like tranexamic acid, sodium tetradecyl sulphate and certain anti-aromatase agents are very dangerous if consumed with Stilbestrol Tab.
- Griseofulvin, nevirapine, troleandomycin, chloramphenicol, boceprevir, clobazam, telaprevir, mifepristone, and artemether produce harmful side effects when consumed along with Stilbestrol tab.
Interactions with food items
- You can continue with the usual diet as food doesn’t influence the effect of Stilbestrol Tab. Talk to your doctor about any supplements or herbal drinks you are currently taking before using Stilbestrol Tab....
Storage and disposal of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
Dosage of Stilbestrol 0.5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Zishan Ahmad
Final year MBBS Student
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)