Heparin 25000iu Vial Of 5ml Injection (Gland Pharma)
Heparin 5000 IU/ML Description
Heparin Injection is an anticoagulant or blood thinner medicine. It contains heparin as its active ingredient. Heparin Injection is used in certain medical conditions where the blood vessels get bloc
ked due to the formation of clots. It is used to treat and prevent the formation of blood clots affecting the legs, lungs and heart. It helps in stopping the growth of blood clot that is already formed and inhibits its growth further. However, it does not decrease the size of clots that are already formed. The dose and duration of this medicine are decided by your doctor after accessing your medical condition. Inform your doctor about your complete medical history before initiating the treatment.
|You Save||₹16.90 (5% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Bleeding, bruising, tingling, numbness in legs, local irritation|
Uses of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
- To treat and prevent the formation of blood clots in leg veins (deep vein thrombosis) and lungs (pulmonary embolism).
- To prevent the formation of blood clots in the heart following a heart attack (mural thrombosis) and chest pain due to blockage in blood vessels of the heart (angina).
- To prevent the formation of clots in catheters (a thin tube) used in veins for a longer period.
Contraindications of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
- If you are allergic to heparin or any other ingredients of this medicine or had an episode of skin allergy following heparin use.
- If you have high blood pressure or purpura (purple spots due to leakage of blood within the skin).
- If you are supposed to undergo surgery of the brain, spine or eye, a lumbar puncture or local anaesthetic nerve block or any other procedure where bleeding could be a problem.
- If you are supposed to take diclofenac (pain and inflammation) intravenously.
- If you drink too often or a large amount of alcohol and currently bleeding from anywhere in the body.
- If you have a bleeding disorder or have haemophilia (a rare disorder where your blood does not clot easily).
- If you have active tuberculosis, serious liver disorder or if you bruise easily.
- This injection should not be administered intramuscularly or following a trauma.
Side effects of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
- Tingling or numbness in the legs
- Back pain
- Local irritation
- Nose bleeds
- Black tarry stools
Precautions and Warnings of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
Other General Warnings
- You have any health condition that makes you more likely to bleed such as stomach ulcer, hernia, inflammation of the heart, problems in the back of your eye, piles, a stroke, cancer or threatened miscarriage. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or nurse....
- You are elderly, over 60 years of age.
- You have diabetes, excess acid or high levels of potassium in your blood or are taking a medicine that may increase the potassium level in your blood (e.g. amiloride, triamterene).
- You have kidney or liver disease or suffer from allergies or previously had an allergy after taking similar medicines.
- You are taking another medicine that may affect your blood clotting.
- Your doctor may take a blood test up to several weeks after the end of your heparin treatment. This is so the doctor can check the level of the clotting cells (platelets) in your blood.
- Your doctor will check your blood if you receive treatment for more than five days and may do other blood tests if you have major surgery.
- You have been given epidural anaesthesia (given into the spine).
- You have signs of tingling, weakness or numbness in your lower legs or body, back pain or problems in passing urine.
- You must remind your doctor that you are on heparin before you receive any anaesthetic.
Mode of Action of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
- Heparin Injection is given under medical supervision in a clinic or hospital.
- Please follow any aftercare suggestions given by the doctor or nurse.
- Reach out to your doctor if you experience any undesirable effects right after administration of this injection.
Interactions of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
Interactions with other medicines
- Pain killers, analgesics and anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, ketorolac and intravenous diclofenac should be avoided while on treatment with this injection as the concomitant use may impose the risk of bleeding....
- Medicines that may interfere with blood coagulation should be avoided. If you are not sure which are these medicines ask your doctor or nurse.
- Other anticoagulants or antiplatelet medicines that are taken orally should be avoided while on treatment with this medicine.
- Certain antibiotics such as cefaclor, cefixime and ceftriaxone may affect the coagulation process and impose the risk of bleeding hence the concomitant use should be avoided.
- Probenecid, a medicine used for the treatment of gout may increase the anticoagulant effect of this medicine.
- There are chances of increased potassium levels if you are taking certain antihypertensive medicines or aliskiren. This can be detected by a blood test, let your doctor know about any blood pressure-lowering medicine you are taking....
Storage and disposal of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
Dosage of Heparin 5000 IU/ML
Missed a Dose
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)