Cofdex Syrup 100ml
By CIPLA GX
100ml Syrup in Bottle
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Cofdex syrup is a combination medicine used to treat irritation in the throat and dry cough. The active ingredients in this syrup are bromhexine, dextromethorphan and ammonium chloride. They work by suppressing the cough centre in the brain and also help to loosen the Phlegm and mucous from the respiratory pathway and facilitate its removal. This medicine is contraindicated in children below 6 years of age. This medicine makes you feel sleepy, drowsy and dizzy. It is advised that you should not take this medicine continuously for more than 14 days, as it then becomes an addiction even at a normal dosage. Addiction can cause withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking this medicine. It is recommended that you consult your doctor about your medical condition and history before use of this medicine
Uses of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
- To treat dry cough and irritation in the throat.
Contraindications of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
If you are allergic to the active ingredients bromhexine, dextromethorphan, ammonium chloride or other ingredients in the syrup. If you have or have had severe respiratory diseases. If you are suffering from liver disease. If you are taking medicines to treat brain and mood disorders (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and/or monoamine oxidase inhibitors) or within 14 days of stopping the treatment with those medicines
Side effects of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach discomfort
- Dizziness, drowsiness and headache
- Diarrhoea and indigestion
- Skin rash and itching
- Mental confusion
Precautions and Warnings of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
Can I take Cofdex syrup during pregnancy?
As there is limited safety data available on the use of Cofdex syrup during pregnancy, thus it is advisable not to use the syrup during pregnancy.
Can I take Cofdex syrup while breastfeeding?
There is limited data available about whether the active ingredients in the syrup pass into the breast milk and harm the newborn. Hence, it is advised not to take the syrup if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Cofdex syrup?
This syrup is known to cause sleepiness, drowsiness, make you feel dizzy and cause mental confusion, this may alter your ability to drive and operate complex machinery. Thus, it is best to avoid driving when taking this syrup
Can I consume alcohol with Cofdex syrup?
The side effects like feeling sleepy, drowsy, dizzy, headache and mental confusion will increase when alcohol is consumed during treatment with the syrup, hence it is recommended to avoid alcohol consumption while taking this syrup.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are allergic to bromhexine, dextromethorphan and/or ammonium chloride.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are suffering or have a history of severe chronic lung disorders like chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) and severe uncontrolled asthma.
- You are suffering from or have a history of severe liver disease, severe kidney disease, stomach ulcers (peptic ulcers).
- You are addicted to alcohol.
- You are taking any other medicines for treating cough and cold.
- You have a cough for a long period of time (chronic cough).
- You are taking medicines for brain and mood-related disorders (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and/or monoamine oxidase inhibitors) or have taken these medicines in the past 14 days or less.
- You are on the class of medicines known as Liver (CYP2D6) enzyme inhibitors like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as fluoxetine and paroxetine, quinidine and terbinafine.
- You are suffering from any brain-related disorders.
- This medicine should not be given to children below 6 years of age.
- It is recommended that you should not use this medicine at a stretch for more than 14 days as it may lead to addiction even at a normal dose.
- Addiction can cause withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking this medicine. Withdrawal symptoms can include restlessness, difficulty in sleeping, irritability, agitation, anxiety, pounding heartbeat (palpitations), increased blood pressure, feeling or being sick, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, shaking, shivering or sweating.read less
Mode of Action of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
How Does It Work?
This syrup is a combination of three active ingredients bromhexine, dextromethorphan and ammonium chloride. Bromhexine belongs to a class of mucolytic medicines, it relieves cough by thinning and loosening the phlegm from the airways and facilitating its removal. Dextromethorphan belongs to the class of antitussive medicines, it acts by suppressing the cough centre of the brain that is responsible for the cough reflex. Ammonium chloride with its irritative action acts on the cells in the airways which leads to production of fluid in the airways that helps in the removal of the phlegm or the cough.
Directions for Use of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
- Take this medicine as instructed by your doctor.
- Shake it well before use.
- Use a measuring cup, spoon or dropper for the exact quantity.
- Do not consume it directly from the bottle.
Interactions of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
Interactions with other medicines
- Bromhexine, an active ingredient in cofdex syrup is known to increase the concentration and effect of antibiotics used to treat cough and other airway secretions. Hence it should be used together with caution.read less
- Cofdex syrup should not be used along with medicines used to treat brain-mood disorders (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) as dextromethorphan, one of the active ingredients in cofdex syrup interacts with these medicines to treat brain-mood disorders and increase the risk of side-effects like fever, hallucinations, excitation, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats and coma(symptoms of serotonin syndrome).read less
- Concomitant use of potent liver enzyme inhibitors like fluoxetine and paroxetine, quinidine and terbinafine along with dextromethorphan(one of the active ingredient in cofdex syrup) increases the risk of side-effects.read less
- Dextromethorphan in cofdex syrup may increase the feeling of sleepiness, drowsiness and dizziness along with slowing down the activity of the brain when used along with antiallergic medicines (antihistamines) and other medicines used to treat brain and nervous system-related disorders.read less
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible drug interactions.
Other general Interactions
Use it with caution in patients with stomach and intestinal ulcers, chronic lung diseases (like chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder or severe uncontrolled asthma), lung infections, liver and kidney diseases.
Storage and disposal of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
- Store it at room temperature in a cool and dry place.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Cofdex Syrup 100ml
- If you have taken too much of this medicine then contact your doctor or visit your nearest hospital.
- Symptoms of an overdose are nausea, vomiting, abnormal heartbeats, hallucinations, uncontrolled muscle contractions(dystonia), mental confusion, irritability, lack of understanding and consciousness, altered body coordination, sleepiness, rapid movement of eyes (nystagmus), an acidic condition in the body, decreased potassium levels (hypokalaemia) and skin allergy with rash and itching.read less
- In severe cases coma, fits and slow breathing may occur.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking any dose of cofdex syrup then take it as soon as you remember. If it is already time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and follow the regular dosing schedule. Make sure you have a sufficient gap between the two doses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Does Cofdex syrup cause sleepiness?
A: Yes, this medicine can make you feel sleepy, drowsy and dizzy.
Q: Will Cofdex syrup relieve sore throat?
- Cofdex syrup is predominantly helpful in treating dry cough, but it also relieves pain and irritation in the throat. It is advised that you consult your doctor before using this syrup.
Q: Is Cofdex syrup an antiallergic medicine?
A: Cofdex medicine is a combination of mucolytic bromhexine, antitussive dextromethorphan and ammonium chloride that helps to relieve dry cough, pain and irritation in the throat.
Q: Is Cofdex syrup addictive?
A: Yes, this syrup is addictive even in a normal dose when used continuously for more than 14 days. Hence it should not be used continuously for more than 14 days.
Q: I have asthma since 2 years, will cofdex syrup help me?
A: Cofdex syrup is indicated for use to relieve dry cough. It is not recommended in severe chronic lung disorders like severe asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is advised that you consult your doctor about your medical condition and take medicines as prescribed.
- Therapeutic Goods Administration.PI.Bromhexine.[Accessed 17-Nov-2020](online)
- EMA.SmPC.Benylin Dry Coughs 7.5mg / 5ml Syrup.[Accessed 17-Nov-2020](online)
- EMA.SmPC.Bronchial Cough Mixture.[Accessed 17-Nov-2020](online)
- NPRA.Elixir (Bromhexine tablet/syrup).[Accessed 17-Nov-2020](online)
- Drugbank.Bromhexine.[Accessed 17-Nov-2020](online)
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 03 Mar 2021 | 11:21 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved